• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tips for traveling with gu CLEANING supplies

bmt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2010
Skinner's Mudhole, Oregon
Sorry if this has been asked before, but my snipershide google search turn up nothing.

When I travel to classes, hunting, etc. my cleaning stuff leaks, spills, and generally makes a mess (inside the cleaning box).

Any tips on leak-proof kits or bottles, etc?

BMT

Re: Tips for traveling with gu CLEANING supplies

I always wondered about good, leak/spill proof bottles I could use for oils/bore cleaners/etc., so I'll tag this for later.

I can tell you that NONE of the ones I have tried work as advertised (MidwayUSA/Tipton, Sinclair, etc.)!! All of them leak for one reason or another and the Tipton ones that I got barely seal at all!!

I always put each bottle of lube, oil or whatever cleaning agent in its own ziplock bag with some kleenexes before I travel with them. It can be difficult to pack all of the supplies but it is better than having them leak everywhere.

I do the same. You can use single, or even double ziplocks and and leakage will usually be contained in the bag, not on the rest of your stuff. In my lab I routinely use different types of organic solvents and I can tell you that it is not easy (or cheap) to find containers that are leakproof. Most often, this involves a coated glass container, which is also a potential problem for travel, that has some type of solvent-resistant O-ring. Even these are no guarantee against all leakage, besides which, they are usually hideously expensive. If you come across some type of container that works well for you, definitely let us know.

And then there is TSA who may not like the look of unmarked bottles with interesting looking chemicals inside. That said I tend to travel very light in that dept.

I don't know if Zyrtec still has the little glass sample bottles, bu they work rather well. I think they're 1/2 oz. Any small glass bottle with a metal cap works great if you can get them. When My son was little, we(I) saved them for this purpose.

The 2 oz Shooters Choice ones stay tight with the cap, not the dropper top.

Individually zip locking has always worked for me. Hoppes Copper Solvent has always given me problems. Most of my gear has a faint smell of it. Good thing I love the smell of Hoppes.

Back in my model car building days I used to store liquid glues, thinners etc.. in these kinds of vials

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=12

Then I would stick the vial inside old pill bottles.Like these http://www.pharmacyautomationsupplies.com/prodinfo.asp?number=APV08 If there was any leakage it would stay in the bottle.

I was thinking of doing the same thing for gun cleaning supplies but since I'm not traveling with them I hadn't really thought about it much.

If I'm bringing cleaning stuff into the field in a pack (hunting, etc...), I'm not planning on cleaning, its just three in case I NEED it. So, some compromises are acceptable.

Here are a few solutions that work for me:

1) Bring a product that comes in a small aerosol can (CLP, G96 or Ballistol), or as a paste (IOSSO Bore cleaner).

2) Bring patches that are already wet with solvent in a small jar.

i wrap the glass solvent bottle with the cleaning rag and duct tape it around the cap, havent had one leak yet.

A small pelican case to house your cleaning supplies would at least keep any spilled solvent or oil off of the rest of your luggage.

$50 is a small price to pay to not walk around smelling like hoppes.

I use some cool little sandwich type kitchen containers that you can get at any store in the kitchen storage aisle. They have a rubber seal and lock on all four sides. They are cheap, won't leak and can take a pretty good beating.

I use Outer's Foam and Hoppe's Oil, each of which are packaged in secure, compact containers. Patches, a rod, that's the kit; whether I'm at home or on the road. They can travel (I believe) inside the locked, checked gun case.

Greg

I got a couple of medicine (eye dropper) type dispensers from the pharmacist. I tested them to see if they leaked and they are good to go. A mix of shooters choice and kroil have been in them for six months with no leakage or deterioration of the rubber eye dropper or plastic container.

I have these small bottles of "Subaru cooling system conditioner" bottles that hold 4.4 fl oz. each. They are a very sturdy plastic with a sturdy plastic cap that has a nice seal but I add a "O" ring on it and it seals like a vault. They are also a dark blue so they don't let in a lot of light. The end is big enough and deep enough to "dunk" bore brushes, and patches. I can throw a full one against a concrete wall and they won't break of leak. Don't ask me how I know this
smile.gif
Every time we drain coolant you have to add one to the system so I can always get some.

Similar volume bottles come with 2-Cycle oil, in the Garden Dept at Wal-Mart.

I have used the waterproof containers for your wallet (sold at most places that sell beach/snorkelling gear) - with grease on the seal, they work well. You need to get a small bottle for the cleaner that fits in this.