• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes To go FFP or not? 6-24x scope w/ 12x Mil-dot

BaileyMoto

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2010
Basra, Iraq.
www.mk12.net
Obviously FFP has its advantages, but I got to thinking....

This particular scope has your basic military style mil-dot (with .mil turrets) and is accurate at 12x. Since Bushnell uses 12x, that means 24x would have exactly .5 mil measurements, which would actually aid in dialing in more precisely. Since I figure I would likely always be at 6 (2 mil), 12 (1 mil), or 24 (.5 mil), it would be pretty easy and convenient, no? Imo, it would actually improve the basic reticle, since at 24x the mildot is now on a .5 measurement.

Other than that, perhaps one of you could convince me as to why I would need (er, want) FFP? Price isn't too much of an issue, I just want something I don't regret.

Thanks.

Re: To go FFP or not? 6-24x scope w/ 12x Mil-dot

because in a moment of stress, you will be on the wrong power and fuck it up.

However, if this is a "range" gun we are talking about and you want to shoot tiny groups on paper at extended ranges, SFP is the way to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BaileyMoto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Obviously FFP has its advantages, but I got to thinking....

This particular scope has your basic military style mil-dot (with .mil turrets) and is accurate at 12x. Since Bushnell uses 12x, that means 24x would have exactly .5 mil measurements, which would actually aid in dialing in more precisely. Since I figure I would likely always be at 6 (2 mil), 12 (1 mil), or 24 (.5 mil), it would be pretty easy and convenient, no? Imo, it would actually improve the basic reticle, since at 24x the mildot is now on a .5 measurement.

Other than that, perhaps one of you could convince me as to why I would need (er, want) FFP? Price isn't too much of an issue, I just want something I don't regret.

Thanks.</div></div>

If you can determine exactly where the reticle matches 6x, 12x, and 24x and can consistently and accurately select as such, then it sounds great. However don't think that the numbers painted on your zoom ring necessarily have any correlation. @ 1000 yds you don't have to be off by much to throw a round way off. With an FFP, once you've determined that the reticle is correct then it will always be correct.

Also remember that while the scope is 6-24x it could well be 5.8 - 23.6x in reality. So unless you know exactly what mag the 12x setting is and then what mags are half, etc You wont be accurate.

Take your scope out and mark your zoom ring where the reticle subtends the different values (10mil=36" at 100 MEASURED yards).
Heck you can even mark where it subtends 2moa, etc.

Its a very doable project and in the right hands works really well.

I'm an idiot however and defer to the first sentence of fdkay's post as my reality, hence I use FFP or fixed.

One of the big advantages of mil/mil is simplifying the shooting process. If your thoughts checked out in practice you would still be reintroducing a variable into the spot, range, shoot process. From here on I will be buying SFP for precision targets and small varmints. All others will be FFP. With the mil/mil and FFP combination you adjust to what you see. No stopping to think or work a formula or remember your magnification setting. Simplicity equals faster shots with fewer mistakes. Just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the big advantages of mil/mil is simplifying the shooting process. If your thoughts checked out in practice you would still be reintroducing a variable into the spot, range, shoot process. From here on I will be buying SFP for precision targets and small varmints. All others will be FFP. With the mil/mil and FFP combination you adjust to what you see. No stopping to think or work a formula or remember your magnification setting. Simplicity equals faster shots with fewer mistakes. Just a thought. </div></div>

Thanks for the replies, very helpful.

Thats the 2nd mention I've seen of using SFP for targets and such...any advantage, other than price?

With the FFp the retucle can get a little thick when shooting at small targets or varmints.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the FFp the retucle can get a little thick when shooting at small targets or varmints. </div></div>

Gotchya, that's what I figured.

I've pretty much reached the following conclusion in regards to the "Do I need an FFP scope?" question. If you have to ask why you need it--or if you need it, then NO YOU DO NOT NEED IT.

I prefer SFP because I do a fair amount of shooting at extended ranges like 800-1200 yds, at those distance, the FFP's USO's I have looked through, the reticle was pretty fat and would cover a large majority of the steal target, vs my SFP night force still had the nice thin reticle. The guys with the USO's usually hit the targets just as much if not more than me so who knows. Just my preference.

CJG