• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Too many spare parts and too much spare time...gets you a new rifle

NXS338

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2014
Central FLORIDA
Here is what I ended up with when I figured out I had too many spare parts laying around. I figured out I had enough stuff to put together a rifle, and here it is.

Savage 10 action picked up in a trade that sat around for 5+ yrs.

Shilen 6.5 barrel

B&C stock that had been worked on and ruined by previous owner with a dremel.

Egw steel 20 moa 1piece base

some parts from a rifle basix trigger kit

ptg bolt head and body

barrowed 6.5X47 lapua reamers

scope is millet in pics but switched for vortex viper 6-24

17-4 stainless/ aluminum material

Attachments

• IMG_2701.JPG
    IMG_2701.JPG
    656.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2702.JPG
    IMG_2702.JPG
    697.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2704.JPG
    IMG_2704.JPG
    872.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2706.JPG
    IMG_2706.JPG
    352.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2709.JPG
    IMG_2709.JPG
    666.6 KB · Views: 9
That's a pretty sweet mix match of parts, came together nicely.

What's made of the "17-4 stainless/ aluminum material" ?

Good hands! Best I have done was a takeoff .260 barrel I headspace (lapped the bolt lugs and recoil lug) and got tighty groups. Wish I could run a lathe.

Where is the aluminum incorporated?
I made it a single shot, and made a bottom piece to match the receiver bottom. You can see it in the 5th picture. it matches the bottom of receiver radius on the outside and is cut for a tight fit to inside where the mag would sit. cut a tapered radius bottom so cartridge slides right into chamber and minimum bolt clearance. More bedding surface is the idea

100, 200, 300 yrd targets with vortex 24x scope 120gr. Lapua factory ammo loaded with scenars....Its a shooter :)

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    370.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    388.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    410.9 KB · Views: 11
I made it a single shot, and made a bottom piece to match the receiver bottom. You can see it in the 5th picture. it matches the bottom of receiver radius on the outside and is cut for a tight fit to inside where the mag would sit. cut a tapered radius bottom so cartridge slides right into chamber and minimum bolt clearance. More bedding surface is the idea

Fantastic. Great job, and great shooting.

I too have used 17-4 and other heat treatable stainlesses like 410 and 416 on build parts, can be rough on cutters but the stuff is bullet proof.

Nxs338,
It's common knowledge handloads are more accurate. So...., when you do your load development re-post to show us how much better handloads are. I mean sheeet!!! :)

Nxs338,
It's common knowledge handloads are more accurate. So...., when you do your load development re-post to show us how much better handloads are. I mean sheeet!!! :)

Yea, now I get to see how much better I can make it. I will post an update when I get some hand loads to the range.

Whats up with that barrel nut? That things long enough to look like a barrel block..

I'm surprised your the first to notice that, it is not a barrel block. It is a barrel nut that I made of my own design, it is sort of like a miniature free float tube for an AR and only touches barrel where it is threaded. It has clearance all around barrel from the threads out and made to a specific length.

Specific length? Top secret? Will you share?

Adds stability like having a longer action?

Last edited:
Specific length? Top secret? Will you share?

Adds stability like having a longer action?

Yes it adds stability to the action when hanging a barrel from it. The length is determined by the balance point of the action and barrel together. The barrel is still completely free floated but the bedding goes to end of this barrel nut adding about 6in. on this particular one. It basically gives you about 14in of bedding surface and absolute zero tension or stress on the action. I have done this on several rifles and it seems to work quite well. if it is done correctly you should be able to remove your action screws and the action sits in stock without tilting or moving, the barrel doesn't lay down into the barrel channel. This is a true stress free design, and the only way to accomplish this and still have a fully free floating barrel. :)

I forgot to cancel a back ordered jewell trigger once. When it showed up, I figured hell, I'll build another rifle.

NXS338,
Thank you for the explaining. First time I've seen this, great idea that is proven to work. Of course the Indian must be accomplished too.