• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes torquing scope ring hex screws?

NordicG3K

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2009
Southern Oregon
Having spent more on my scope than I have on my rifle I want to make sure I don't screw anything up. The IOR paperwork that came with my scope specifies 12 in/lb max when tightening the scope ring screws. Two novice questions...

1) I've looked for a torque hex head screwdriver, but can't find anything under $150. There's got to be something less expensive. What do you guys use?

2) I usually see things listed in ft/lbs. What does 12 in/lb equate?

Sorry if these are basic questions, but this is new territory for me and I'd rather look stupid than ruin a brand new $1300 scope. Thanks in advance!

Re: torquing scope ring hex screws?

http://www.lawnmowerman.tv/Conversion_Tables/torque_conversion_tables_foot-inch_pounds.asp
Try not to use a wrench that you need to use the extreme ranges; accuracy of the reading falls off.
And I hope by now you can figure out the answer to #2!
grin.gif

Thanks for the link. I thought 12 in/lbs might be 1 ft/lb, but that just doesn't seem right. Is 1 ft/lb really enough to hold a scope?

Thanks for the link dmg308.

HOLY CRAP! What was the guy using, a 4' pipe wrench and a come-along? If someone did that to my brand new mega-buck scope I'd put the scope ring on their head and tighten it down to the same diameter!

Wheeler FAT wrench works just fine for me. Seekonk if you have a higher budget.

you would be correct 12 inch pounds= 1 Foot pound. The FAT wrench is a great tool. I have one and love it

Wow 12 inch pounds. Im obviously fairly new here and just mounted my Leupold 3.5x10 on my 700 LTR and the Luppy instructions say "Again, it is important to take the time to make sure screws are as tight as you can get them." Well, I didnt use a pipe wrench but I did put some love on them. (I wondered why the glass popped out of each end LOL) Im afraid to take it off. Instead of having ring marks, I will have flat spots!!!

Hello Everyone,

I use double beam torque wrenches made by Matco

1 is a 0 to 50 in/lbs
1 is a 0 to 200 in/lbs

I made some boxes to keep them nice and safe

This is the 0-50in/lbs
Box_50_1.jpg

Box_50_2.jpg

Box_50_3.jpg

Box_50_4.jpg

This is the 0-200in/lbs
Box_200_1.jpg

Box_200_2.jpg

Box_200_3.jpg

Box_200_4.jpg

Thank you,
Monnie

Wheeler FAT wrench ~ man, some of the reviews (on Midway's site) of this thing are terrible! Hopefully, the wrench has been altered to be more reliable. Anyone else have concerns with theirs? I need one as well.

Would the 12-15 inch/pound value be different if we were using two screw scope ring instead of a four screw scope ring?