• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes TPS ring failure...

Jason280

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2005
GA
Buddy was mounting a set of 30mm TPS aluminum rings tonight, and torqued them to 65in/lbs per specs on the TPS site. Rear ring went on without any issue, but the front ring snapped off where the cross member locks into the ring (opposite of the hex nut).

Anyone dealt with TPS customer service before, and what should we expect when we call tomorrow? Also, has anyone seen this type of failure with TPS rings?

TPS1.jpg

TPS3.jpg

TPS5.jpg

Re: TPS ring failure...

I've never had issues with their rings, but I tend to not buy aluminum rings.

Let me guess, you were tightening aluminum rings to a steel base and with a steel crossbolt? Funny that the aluminum would be the fisrt thing to give.
There's places I'll save weight on rifles, the rings usually aren't one of them....

Hopefully they will stand by them, esp if their instructions say to use 65 in/lbs.

I just checked the torque wrench, and it was actually set to 55in/lbs. Not sure what to say at this point, but hopefully TPS will help us out.

I didn't know there was any issue with TPS rings, as this is the first bad thing I've heard about the. I have another set of TPS rings, albeit steel, and this is the first problem I've witnessed.

I've used the same pait of steel TPS's for years, even though a while back they had crossbolt failures that gave many the attitude displayed by Mike.

Hopefully their CS is up to par!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't deny that TPS earned that attitude and just because many of us have chosen not to give them a second chance doesn't negate the bitterness that TPS earned.</div></div>

Mike, what is the reputation with TPS? I'm curious to hear the back story...

I have several sets of TPS on different guns and never had a single problem. As for there service, It SUCKS!!! Worst I have ever delt with, buying, shipping problems, etc! With the exeption of Sportsman Steel Gun Safes, but thats a whole diferent deal.

All I can say is Good Luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason280</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't deny that TPS earned that attitude and just because many of us have chosen not to give them a second chance doesn't negate the bitterness that TPS earned.</div></div>

Mike, what is the reputation with TPS? I'm curious to hear the back story...</div></div>

Suffice it to say that there are many instances where people had issues with TPS rings and with TPS's customer service. Readily there are those who haven't had issues either. However, many have.

I'm not going to go into detail as there has been countless threads going over and over the same thing. But suffice it to say that there are those who wouldn't buy TPS rings again.

Well, I have to say that this doesn't look promising!

I'm the buddy that was mounting the rings. Put them on a Rem 700 with a EGW Aluminum base. The rear ring was fine but when I put the front one on the ring snapped before the torque wrench reached .55 inch pounds.

Got a set of 35mm coming in a few days from SWFA, going to mount them on an EGW base also, aluminum on aluminum. Not expecting to have problems but stuff happens...

Ive switched out all my TPS rings for Nightforce Ultralite rings.

I have used three sets of TPS rings over the past couple of years. The steel rings work very well, the aluminum not so well. Mounted the aluminum to a .243, torqued the the crossbolts to the mount, the rear broke at 52 inch pounds. Called TPS over a period of three days, finally got an answer. Very polite gentleman gave Me a return number. Sent them back, replaced them with a set of steel rings no extra charge.

At least you guys could buy the rings in the first place. I tried buying some TPS rings several times through their website while I was on my last deployment and nothing ever happened concerning my orders.

I use these rings as well but I also use steel. As sober said, There's places to save weight but I like to go with steel base and rings. Gives the extra comfort knowing how much stronger steel is and the price difference is only a few bucks. Hopefully they'll let you trade these out for some steel ones.

OK, I attempted calling TPS, and was only able to reach their automated system. I left a message, but have not received a return call. I attempted emailing to their support email on the TPS site, "[email protected]", except I keep getting the following:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain</div></div>

So, I've tried sending another email through their online sales site, so we'll see how that goes.

I had a set of TPS steel rings that didn't have the ring cap screw holes blown out - so when i went to torque them down - the screws never went in all the way, and i made it worse so it couldn't be cleaned out.

I called them and they explained the problem of that particular batch of rings - sent them back, and about 1 month later i had my rings back. It did take a bit for them to get back - this was about 1 year ago.

When i got them back - everything was good to go! I had great customer service with them - and i would assume that if you need them back quickly, they would comply?

I have used several sets of TPS rings and bases and have had very good luck w/ them and the customer service. I have dealt with the same lady at TPS for years and she is more than helpful. I hope you can have a good luck with them as I have. With that being said the ONLY ring and bases I completely trust and like everything about are Richard Near's.

Has anyone bought their TPS rings through another vendor? Would you still have to go through TPS direct for replacement, or did the vendor take care of you when you had problems? I guess every vendor is different but I would the vendor will handle most questions and problems, and then refer you to the manufacturer direct if they can't solve it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SoCalPete</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone bought their TPS rings through another vendor? Would you still have to go through TPS direct for replacement, or did the vendor take care of you when you had problems? I guess every vendor is different but I would the vendor will handle most questions and problems, and then refer you to the manufacturer direct if they can't solve it. </div></div>

Just buy everything from Brownell's, and you will never have another problem, they are unbelievable.

Check this out...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2154245&gonew=1#UNREAD

I did receive an email with a ticket number for my claim, but haven't actually received a response. Hopefully I will find out something tomorrow, so we'll see.

I have TPS steel rings on my Savage, they work good, fit and finish are excellent. I would not own alum rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hellbender</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Just buy everything from Brownell's, and you will never have another problem, they are unbelievable.

Check this out...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2154245&gonew=1#UNREAD </div></div>

I usually do, but they don't offer 35mm rings.
laugh.gif
At least not the ones I want.

Hopefully SWFA will backup their sales just as good, in case I have any problems.

If they give you any problems we will gladly step in and resolve this issue to your satisfaction, immediately.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they give you any problems we will gladly step in and resolve this issue to your satisfaction, immediately. </div></div>

That there is like a sore pecker.......SWFA always gtg.

No problems so far, received it today at lunch and already put it on the rifle. Torqued it to the specified 65 in/lbs. and everything was good to go. These TPS rings are finished very nicely.

Mine are aluminum rings on aluminum base.

IMG_1623.jpg

I own a set of steel TPS rings and have never had an issue. That being said, I tried to order more but, they never answer the phone. Since then, all other rings have been NF and Badger, steel of course.

I just got a set of their 1 inch aluminum rings for my 10/22. Haven't torqued them yet, keepin' my fingers crossed. Hopefully the breaking isn't too common..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWFA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If they give you any problems we will gladly step in and resolve this issue to your satisfaction, immediately. </div></div>

Damn, I wish I had noticed this before I sent them in! TPS has had the rings for about two weeks now, and I have yet to hear any response. I've tried emailing them through their online store, except I keep getting "License Error: Key file has expired". I then tried their online forum, which goes straight to a GoDaddy host site. Attempts to get them on the phone have proven futile, and they seem to refuse to return messages.

I'm not sure what kind of Mickey Mouse system they have going on over there, but not being able to get in touch with anyone is ridiculous. Looks like I have purchased my last TPS product!

i had a set of these once, my rings didnt break like yours did however no matter how tight i made the rings the scope still twisted and moved inside the rings as if they were loose

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Popcorn ready.

Another set of TPS rings taking a shit. Imagine that! Good luck with CS.</div></div>

Well, I finally got someone to answer the phone. I was told they would need more time to "analyze the rings", and would have to get back to me. Of course, all information I received was relayed through the woman answering the phone, as I was never able to actually speak with a tech.

I told the woman that they'd had the rings for two weeks, but she has no control over the situation. Sounds like she's just there for the phone, but I am not sure. I did have her forward a message from me that this is ridiculous, any other top manufacturer would have immediately replaced the rings and then figured out the issue was with mine.

Oh well, guess I'm still stuck without a set of rings.

You guys are the best . My fathers scope (wont mention manu)
came to him with what looked like sand inside the lens He called the next day and within 24 hrs the new scope was there .
That is customer service. you guys are great in my book!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rubbish, that failure is a manufacturing issue. They should have stepped up and simply sent you a set.
No excuse.</div></div>

You would think that would be the case, but reading other threads suggests that their customer service is hit or miss.

Well that crosses them off my list
Maybe you should E-Mail them a link to this thread and see how their CS is going to destroy any kind of future Customer base.

With the quality and great CS I have always received from Marty at Badger Ordnance, I never have to think twice about where to buy some rifle parts....

Used the aluminum ones they work great. Fit and finish was first class.
Never had to deal with cs but I heard they suck.

I have two sets of the aluminum ones and they have been great. Fit finish is nice and the hold the scope securely.

I hate to say it but coming from a machine building background it would appear that the ring was being torqued when it was not fully engaged in the base groove, thus putting excessive leverage force on the channel groove of the ring.

Another possibility is the taper was cut incorrectly which could have the same effect.

One of those two scenarios must have happened because 55 inch lbs. is not going to do that kind of damage if engagement is correct.

It is threads like this one that make me happy that I always used Badger Ordinance for my rings, ect... I beat the hell out of my gear and often have times when a couple of rifles are down for service for various reasons.

I have a question are the steel alloy rings and the aluminum rings MIM parts requiring less machining and finishing like the ARMS mounts? I am sure this has been covered about a million times.... If over 3% of the polymer is used in the injection than breaks would happen much more often.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate to say it but coming from a machine building background it would appear that the ring was being torqued when it was not fully engaged in the base groove, thus putting excessive leverage force on the channel groove of the ring.

Another possibility is the taper was cut incorrectly which could have the same effect.</div></div>

I agree that is a possibility, but that's not what happened with this set of rings. The base was an EGW 20* one piece, and it is somewhat difficult to mount the ring out of the slot. The ring would be so out of position that it would be immediately noticed prior to torquing.

It's now been roughly a month since TPS received the rings, and I have yet to receive any update or response from the company. It amazes me that a business would chose to handle customer returns in this fashion, especially considering how important customer service is to any prospective buyer. I can guarantee you that this will be the last TPS product I purchase, simply based on the lack of customer service I've received from TPS. I have no issues with the fact the ring failed, as stuff happens from time to time. But now that I know customer support is almost non existant, you can rest assured I won't spend another dime with TPS.

I'm going to send another email tomorrow and see if I get any kind of update.

Wow, I can't believe they wouldn't send a new set immediately and analize the broken set at their leisure. Seems like they are analizing them at their leisure anyways, and losing more than one customer.

This post makes me glad that I have Burris rings on my rifle.

Amazing they haven't taken care of this for you.

I have TPS rings and haven't any issues but I think I will steer clear for any future purchases since they definitely do not have our 6

They are located in Oregon, has anyone ever seen what the place looks like?

I wonder if they make other products and the rings / bases are not a top priority, I have several products from them and they have been okay, but I have heard more than once about very poor customer service, kind of puzzling.

I use TPS rings with no issues at all, but not the aluminum rings. What is the TPS spec for the torque on the nuts?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Not all scope mounting rings have a 65 inch-pound torque spec for the nuts that compress the rail clamp. For example, <span style="text-decoration: underline">USO [aluminum] rings are spec'd at 30 inch-pounds</span>.</span>