• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

trail cams for photos of cars?

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
Do trail (game) cams work good enough to take photos of cars moving directly towards/away from them? Is there a flash or other indication that a photo is being taken?

I ask because I live in the middle of nowhere, on a back country road through a valley, there are 6 residences on my road, 2 belong to my family, 2 to elderly folks, and 2 to brand new teenage scumbags. Now traffic has gone through the roof, with the regular buddies doing WAY over the speed limit, catching air, or doing burnouts in the road. On top of the regulars, there is a lot of one-time traffic that comes and goes in 15 minutes or less. I am not lying when I say there used to be 4 cars on the road a day, tops.

And today on FB, some of the neighbors have complained of break ins.

So I have been thinking of setting up a couple trail cameras around the house and maybe on the mailbox to see if I could get some plate numbers of the frequent speeders etc.

Or maybe I am all wet in my approach here, I dunno. I am just frazzled and pissed I cannot walk my dogs down the road in safety anymore.

Check out DropCam. Works on your wifi, uploads to ICloud. Infared, HD and a huge viewing angle

Trail cams will illuminate the reflective license plate(at night) but Reconyx makes a security cam that you can read the plate but its pricey

Camera trigger speed will be a huge factor for you. If the camera is perpendicular to the road/trail, you are SOL. Put it parallel to the road and you stand a much better chance as the vehicle will be in the camera's zone longer. Faster trigger speed=more money.

At night, there are several types of illumination for trail cams:
white light
reduced IR
blackout

The first is seen by all, the second projects a red light. If you know where the camera is, or aware of your surroundings, you'll see it. The last projects no visible light, but the flash range is corresponding reduced.

You don't want too wide of a field of view as that limits how far you can zoom in when you pull the card.

If you want the pictures at night, it will be tough. Daytime, you stand a pretty good chance of identifying the make/model. I've had trouble getting my cameras to trigger on trails to get photos of people walking, or Jeeps doing a slow drive through. Make sure you throw some camo tape on the camera before you put it on a tree.

Is there a spot where they turn around or have to go slow, like a hairpin turn?

http://www.trailcampro.com/trailcamerareviews.aspx

Last edited:
Going to the police should be the last thing you should do. Get the pictures and investigate yourself. Then be a man and go talk to them. Then if that doesn't calm them down then go to your local LEO.

I get cases where people bring me trail cam photos all the time.
The daytime photos are good, generally. The night photos are hit or miss.

I get cases where people bring me trail cam photos all the time.
The daytime photos are good, generally. The night photos are hit or miss.

Moving pics at night from the trail cams usually aren't worth the trouble, especially speeding vehicles. Only time night pics seem to work are when the vehicle stops.

I would think LEOs would be more than happy to get this info. Maybe even ask permission to set up surveillance. Sounds like there is a lot more than speeding going on. Some of the best info comes from neighbors and I would definitely not confront them especially at their house.

I contemplated feeding my chickens in the road... a few 10 lb birds to the grill might slow em down.

In all seriousness, I am friends with a few troopers and plan on talking to them about it. Days that are busy with one-time visitors seem to be hit and miss, it was really heavy a month ago and seems to have tapered. Speeding is still there.

I have had to take two walks to find people, once for a guy making animal calls at my gf at 1am while she smoked on the porch. Never found him, but found his tracks (not surprising since my flashlight gave me away). The other time for 4wheelers in our woods. They sped off before I got that deep in the woods., most likely riding the neighbors fields and got lost into ours.

Last edited:
We have a real problem with the same type of people around here also, I'm guessing there renters. I'm betting your Trooper buddies or Sheriffs deputies already know some of the people your having trouble with.

The problem with calling the cops is that some of those trouble makers are used to it. I'm in a cul-de-sac and we have 1 bad apple to deal with. Grandma rents the house and then brought in all the misfits under her. 1 is in and out of jail, the others are generally loud and occassionally high. Anyways the cops come every couple months when somebody gets fed up with listening to domestic disputes or witnesses a supposed drug activity. They don't seem to care about the cops. Personal approach has worked some, staying civil and nice, they are beginning to respect those of us that don't appreciate their activity. Its a slow process but I saw right off that starting with threats had only negative impact, made them want to rebel more. The rest of us are finally building repoir with them to some degree. I dunno, its all or nothing, they either have to truely fear you or the cops, or they have to respect you in order for them to change.