• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

training for long distance on a 400m range

B3owulf

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2012
Clarksville
Hi all, I have lurked on here on and off for a while and it is time to finally post. Have a stupid question so here we go.

My local range "only" goes out to 400m and has both steel and normal target frames. What are your thoughts on training for long distance shooting on a shorter length range like this?

So far I have just been shooting steel which is fun...but it is not very challenging with a good rifle/optic. Thinking about options to get better and these are my thoughts so far:
1) focus on fundamentals, use paper targets and try make small groupings and build DOPE out to 400m
2) keep going with the steel targets and work on rapidly transitioning between targets
3) pull the optic off and challenge myself with iron sights.

What recommendations do you have? What can I do on this range to build fundamentals for longer distances?

My range stops at 330 yards at the berm and I’ve been using one of these 2.5” plates to add some challenge to the short distance. My only complaint is that it takes awhile for it to settle down after I hit it.

if you really want to frustrate yourself, they have a 1.5”plate as well

Reactions: B3owulf
as said small targets, also back off the magnification

Golf balls are a fun and challenging target at 300yds.
I did modify the rack with two additional cross braces to stop the wiggling.

20191222_125940.jpg

They are attached with a 1/2" long button head screw and a loop on the end of the string.
They can take a lot of punishment before needing to be replaced. If you hit the ball where the screw goes in, it'll come off, but otherwise they last a while.

Step the target size down that is challenging for you. For some that’s 1moa and others it’s 3moa. As you get better, step the size down.

Unless you’re shooting in switchy winds, only the first shot or two is any good for wind training as you now have the call. Better training for wind would be carrying your kestrel around when not shooting, guessing wind speed and checking with kestrel.

The awesome thing is this is all based on angular measurements, positions, and fundamentals. If you’re shooting off a barricade, a 1moa target is a 1moa target no matter what. Your wobble is your wobble. So we can practice 90% of what we need at 100yds if we have to.

like others have mentioned you could shrink up your target 1'' circles at 400 yards or less if your really brazen you could try 1/4 circle targets I personally like the golf ball thing the guy made that pretty cool looking good luck which ever or what ever you use .

Hi all, I have lurked on here on and off for a while and it is time to finally post. Have a stupid question so here we go.

My local range "only" goes out to 400m and has both steel and normal target frames. What are your thoughts on training for long distance shooting on a shorter length range like this?

So far I have just been shooting steel which is fun...but it is not very challenging with a good rifle/optic. Thinking about options to get better and these are my thoughts so far:
1) focus on fundamentals, use paper targets and try make small groupings and build DOPE out to 400m
2) keep going with the steel targets and work on rapidly transitioning between targets
3) pull the optic off and challenge myself with iron sights.

What recommendations do you have? What can I do on this range to build fundamentals for longer distances?

If you haven't seen this post, you should read it. The advice in it is money: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...r-the-novice-to-intermediate-shooter.7018952/

OK, that sounds simple.

what else we got?

Every time I go to the range, I usually fire one cold bore shot at 100yds at a 1in orange dot. The goal is to be in that circle every time. Then I fire a 3-5 shot group redoing my position/hands/rearbag/cheekweld every shot. The goal is to keep all 3-5 shots within the circle. These beginning drills I do work towards accuracy as opposed to purely precision.

This also confirms my zero each time, lets me know if my coldbore shots are off, etc. Sort of a warm up before I do whatever I'm doing that day with my rifle.

My range stops at 300 so I try to do work at each 100yd spot, with different sized dots. Each yardage I'm dialing in my elevation making sure its spot on. Recording when/if its not.

I try to record all weather each time, etc.

You could work positional shooting till the end of time and still get better.

Reactions: B3owulf
Tried some of this stuff this weekend and had a great time at the range.

Definitely will need to try that golf ball set up! First I need to find somewhere with ammo in stock though lol

Golf balls are a fun and challenging target at 300yds.
I did modify the rack with two additional cross braces to stop the wiggling.

View attachment 7419085

They are attached with a 1/2" long button head screw and a loop on the end of the string.
They can take a lot of punishment before needing to be replaced. If you hit the ball where the screw goes in, it'll come off, but otherwise they last a while.
These at 400 with a .22 will teach you wind reading skills...