• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Traveling to Canada

DuneBoer

Apocalypse Now!
Minuteman
  • Jan 16, 2012
    State of Jefferson
    I'm taking the little woman on a short trip to Nelson BC. It's a long drive. I want to take my pistol on the way for self defense . I understand I CANNOT take it into Canada. But, where can I leave it while I am there? Last time I rented a motel room on both sides of the border so I could leave my weapons in the US. That was expensive. If I go to an FFL dealer he can take it on transfer but neither Washington State nor Idaho will "sell back" a handgun to an Oregon resident.

Do you gents have any ideas?

What border crossing are you going across? The 24 hour ones there are at Paterson/Frontier and Osoyoos/Oroville. The two other ones close at midnight. Unless you have a contact close to the border crossing of your choice, you may be out of luck. I know there are some SH members in the Kettle Falls area. Maybe check the section members link up for SHWW members. Canadian Border Guards will charge those who try to bring a handgun across the border without proper permits. They never seem to catch the gangbanger type though. On the bright side, the area you are going to is fairly tame. Tourist/hippy/urban rich type tourist area....
    Seems like an enterprising type could make a wee bit of spare cash holding F/A's for those going north...

Last edited:
    Don't chance going to the Empire with a gun , they hate Americans as much as they hate individual rights. Bring your GPS and a ziplock bag, bury it deep in the tundra on our side of the border, pick it up on the way back. Or do what I do when I ride Canada or California, contact a forum member in good standing and drop the gun at his house and pick it up on the way back. If you ever decide to go to Cuba you can drop your gun at my house here in South Fla.

I'm taking the little woman on a short trip to Nelson BC. It's a long drive. I want to take my pistol on the way for self defense . I understand I CANNOT take it into Canada. But, where can I leave it while I am there? Last time I rented a motel room on both sides of the border so I could leave my weapons in the US. That was expensive. If I go to an FFL dealer he can take it on transfer but neither Washington State nor Idaho will "sell back" a handgun to an Oregon resident.

Yea, leave the roscoe at home bro. Enjoy your vacation without the added stress and worry about the security/whereabouts of an unattended weapon. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
    Yea, leave the roscoe at home bro. Enjoy your vacation without the added stress of worry about the security/whereabouts of an unattended weapon. Just my 2 cents.

You have been talking to my wife haven't you? I know I know. I have been packing a side arm every day of my life since I was 22 years old. I really need to relax but shit..... Last year when we went to Canada, it was the first time I ever went without a gun longer that 24 hrs. It was hard but..... You are not paranoid if they are really out to kill you right?

Not to freak you out but the last time (first time in civilian world) I seen gun play in public was in Vancouver about ten years ago. Guy freaking out at town hall steps,I think he was on drugs. A crazed druggie with a gun. You sure you want to go to that frikken place???????

While I can appreciate your freedoms, let alone your habits... it would be prudent to research the laws and the general populace 'situation' of the area to which you are planning on traveling to.

We ain't perfect up here, by a long shot. At the same time though, one could say that we don't have near the rampant crime and widespread violence that is more profound in some of the "more colourful" areas.

And no, that was NOT a racist statement. At all. Think of "colourful language" and swap that with "living conditions". Enjoy your trip.

Traveling to Canada

Sean, Canada is quickly becoming the axe-murder capital of the world. Frankly, I would rather have a gun to defend against a gun than re-read the RCMP statistics on the bizarre ways that people are getting killed up there. I suppose that the old adage is true: Killing is a matter of will, the weapon is simply the tool being used.

What ever hapened to declaring the handgun at the border & telling them your exit point & the gun was always waiting for you at the exit point?

...some deep and "professional" wisdom in Slapchop's advice_
    Be Canada or elsewhere, sometime even being handcuffed by foreign leo's can be matter of will : your gun is simply the tool...etc_
    when/if you're jailed, you can't defend your woman,nor drivin'around in foreign Countries_
    Matter of choice, as ever_

You can take a hand gun into Canada but its a nighmare. Last time I did, I had to tote a a letter from one their Govt ministers but being from AK, we never get hassled as much. Most times its where you heading, thanks and bye ey.

One time in Ft Nelson, our 1992 trip, some guy tried to roll my wife as she sat in our Bronco waiting for me as I went in to get food. He tapped on the window with a knife and she smoked the tires out of there.

Leave it at home or with someone you trust.

good luck, have fun

I would err to the side of caution and not bring it. Both my parents had BAD experiences in Canada....to the tune of 8 days in prison and more $ than they had. Take a good knife and be aware of your surroundings.
    Remember, the bill of rights is only good in America....most of the time.

When you reach the Canadian border, simply declare your firearm, if you have it on your person, they will send you in and a officer will take the firearm and render it "safe". You can leave the firearm at the border, travel to you destination in Canada, they usually keep the firearms for 30 days, after that it's off to the "Queens warehouse". When you leave, simply stop at the CBSA office and pick up your firearm. Depending on the port of entry and region, they made take it across for your and have CBP give it to you. As long as you declare the firearm you will have no issues, it's better, if at the time of crossing it's secured in the trunk and unloaded? however most people agree that it's not much good there for self defence.

Last edited:
    Well, I just got back from BC. No carjacking, attempted buttraping or any other types of crimes committed against me. I decided to go with out any weapon except for a sharp Spyderco. The only scary part on the trip I took place in Spokane WA when I was in a restaurant and noticed I didn't have a gun on. For fleeting instant I thought it had fallen off or something. Just a quick startle until I gathered myself.

As for Nelson BC. It's kind of a neat town. Lots to do relaxing, beautiful lake but jeez, I have never seen so many stoned people in my life, maybe a Rainbow Gathering or Burning Man. Lots of dope smoking going on there. But hey! Everyone was friendly! And nary a methhead to be found! Found 22 shells at WalMart for 22 buck a brick (didn't try to buy any) smuggled some Cuban Cigars back and brought a few fifths of Weisers Special Cask