• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG 22 Barrel Break in, necessary?

Vin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2004
I have used a break in procedure on rifles and not used it. I think you talk to 5 guys and you will get 7 opinions. As far as a TRG 22 goes, has anyone tried it and what were the results, positive or negative. I know this is a never ending debate but just wondering about this rifle as I have a new TRG 22 and was debating whether to do it or not. All comments both pos and neg will be appreciated Thx.

Re: TRG 22 Barrel Break in, necessary?

I have a new TRG-22. I did not do anything special for break-in. I've just been cleaning the bore before and after each session. Approx. 160 rounds down the tube before accuracy started to drop off noticeably. I'm about to do a good thorough scrub with KG-1 and KG-12 and hit the range this weekend. If the fouling is minimal I'll keep with the same game plan. Hard to break-in a barrel when you're paying $17.50 an hour in range fees.
frown.gif
I'd rather just shoot. Sorry, I probably didn't help much.

Not to Hijack the thread, but I would like to know how you have to pay 17.50 an hour in range fees?
That is unbelievable!

Good timing on this thread, just received my new green/phos TRG-22 today.
smile.gif

Was not necessary with my TRG22. I was careful not to let the barrel get "too hot"; other than that, I did nothing special to "break it in". This method does not appear to have impacted accuracy negatively!

Jay

A friend and I each bought one, he did the barrel break in routine I didn't. Both have 1200 + rounds now and when the star's are aligned they both will shoot 1/2" or better to 600+. My accuracy starts going away around 350 rounds so does his.

SevenBat,

It's the C2 Shooting Center in Virginia Beach. Nice people but they're the only game in town, so they can get away with it. Not to knock on C2, but I miss the Angeles range outside LA. Yeah, I miss something about Cali that's firearm-related.
laugh.gif

Tubb Final Finish were the first rounds through so I can't compare what it may have shot before those were applied. However, it regularly outshoots me, 1moa or better is the norm. I would be surprised if it didn't do that, Sako knows how to build accurate rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">half inch at 600 is decent accuracy. LOL </div></div>

Damn sure is, got me
wink.gif
How about holds 1/2" moa to 600.

I feel bad for you guys having to clean after only 350 rounds. Shit I havn't so much as looked at the bbl on my SPS and with 700 rounds down the tube she still makes it at least 3/4 groups. I think if I had to scrube my barrel every time I went shooting, I would probably stop going.

I had a TRG and did ZERO bbl break in and it shot 1/4 MOA (5 shot groups at 200 yards consistently assuming no wind. I could fire 100 rounds at a time, run 3 wet patches, then 2 dry patches and the bore would be spotless.

Barrell break in is bullshit designed to sell you a bunch of mouse milk and abrasives to wear out your barrel faster. Somewhere on the hide is a post from a respected benrh rest barrel maker who says he VOIDs any warranty if people use all this crap in his barrels.

shoot em until groups open, then a squirt or two of wipeout, a few dry patches and you're good to go.

Second only to primer pocket uniforming as a gimmick!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">half inch at 600 is decent accuracy. LOL </div></div>

Damn sure is, got me
wink.gif
How about holds 1/2" moa to 600. </div></div>

I was just razzing you. I knew you meant 1/2 MOA.

Barrel break-in is suppose to reduce/remove the microscopic machining marks and smooth the rifling.

The TRG barrel is hammer forged and the rifling is the mirror image of the mandrel, will not have any machining marks. If the mandrel was clean and within specification and the barrel blank being free of voids or imperfections, there shouldn't be any need to break-in the barrel. However, the throat might benefit from a little burnishing/break-in.

That's how I understand it. Please correct me, if I'm mistaken.

Sako claims that no break in procedure is required for any of their barrels.

"Gale McMillan thought break-in was a retarded idea."

He was who i was trying to remember. The collective wisdom on the hide is at about 10% of his.