• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRG-22 + new Steiner Military 5-25 = falling in love all over again

supratt96

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2010
New Jersey, USA
Took out my TRG-22 (Euro Optics .260 Rem) for the first time since last summer mounted with a new Steiner Military 5-25x56. Almost forgot how much I love this rifle and now I love it even more with the Steiner. Great scope!

Here is a pic of my target. The top 3 groups are 42.0 gr H-4350. The bottom 4 are 47.5 gr H-4831. The middle dot was zeroing the scope. The H-4350 groups averaged .462" center to center and the H4831 groups averaged .370". I know I pulled a shot here and there, but all and all, I'm pretty happy with that considering I haven't shot in almost 6 months.

Attachments

• TRG target.jpg
    TRG target.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 18
Great Shooting and Setup! Love my TRG22 .308!!!

How do you like to 4350 for the .260 Rem? I'm thinking about picking us some locally to test some loads for my Remmy 700.

Nice, I love my TRG-260 as well. It groups excellent with several different loads but I've been sticking with H4350 for mine and my buddies GAP .260 as they both shoot very well with it.

Great Shooting and Setup! Love my TRG22 .308!!!

How do you like to 4350 for the .260 Rem? I'm thinking about picking us some locally to test some loads for my Remmy 700.

4350 has been my main "go to" powder with this rifle and I have shot groups in the .2s with it. However, I am almost out of 4350 and haven't been able to find any lately with this dumb-ass panic buying going on, so I have been using 4831 since I still have a decent supply of that on hand. As you can see, it works pretty well too.

Here is a pic of the rig. Sorry it's not very good. It was pretty dim lighting.

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 14
What reticle did you get with the Steiner? I was thinking about getting the G2 mildot (vs the MSR) but wanted to look at each first.

Here is a pic of the rig. Sorry it's not very good. It was pretty dim lighting.

supratt96
Awesome set up.
Got a TRG 22 in .308, thought of selling it several times, as I could use the $$ for another build but cannot get myself to do so. Every time I take this rifle out, it is dead on; got to love these TRG's.
I noticed that my TRG does not give a damn on how close, or far, I set off the lands; I also heard the same reports from other .308 TRG's shooters. Do you experience similar results with your .260?
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

What reticle did you get with the Steiner? I was thinking about getting the G2 mildot (vs the MSR) but wanted to look at each first.

I got the MSR reticle which I really like. Very easy to use and versatile. Nothing wrong with the G2, but I find ranging easier with the MSR.

Last edited:
BTW how is that steiner scope

Awesome! I have never owned an S&B but I have handled and looked through a few. I think the Steiner Military line is just as good and at a much more reasonable price point. I haven't found anything about the scope that I don't like. Some people think thier turrets could be a little more tactile. It wouldn't hurt, but they work just fine the way they are. The reticle is a tad thicker than some other comparable scopes, but even at full magnification, I had no trouble shooting tight groups. If you want to shoot at really tiny targets that the main reticle might cover up, you could actually use the ranging reticle which is very fine. Simply adjust 2 mils down and 2 mils left and the ranging reticle can be used for aiming.

I have heard speculation that Steiner is holding down their prices to try and get established here in the States, and once they do, you will see their prices start to go up into the same realm as the other top tier European manufacturers. I believe this to be true, so I took the plunge now while I could still afford it. Top notch optics are starting to get just plain stupid expensive and its getting harder and harder for to justify the purchase, at least in my opinion.

supratt96
Awesome set up.
Got a TRG 22 in .308, thought of selling it several times, as I could use the $$ for another build but cannot get myself to do so. Every time I take this rifle out, it is dead on; got to love these TRG's.
I noticed that my TRG does not give a damn on how close, or far, I set off the lands; I also heard the same reports from other .308 TRG's shooters. Do you experience similar results with your .260?
Good shooting.
Ombre noire

The .260 TRGs are pretty forgiving too. I have found that either just off the lands, or a .030 jump seem to produce the best accuracy, but everything in between does well too. A bad group with this rifle is anything over .5s. The very worst groups I have gotten (barring situations where I totally screwed up) are in the 3/4 moa range. It also isn't picky about bullets. Every match grade bullet I have tried has produced great accuracy, but I have so far found the Scenars to be a tiny bit more consistent.

Great shooting and great rig! Nice to hear some feedback on the Steiner. I have a S&B sitting in the box waiting for my rifle to arrive. Might have to consider a TRG-22 as well. I shoot at Central Jersey R&P, but am just getting into precision shooting, and have been upgrading my reloading gear.