• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trigger upgrade - best 2 stage for 2020?

jp_over

Joe
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2017
East TX
Friends,

I have a BCM 750-750 (5.56 carbine) and would like to upgrade the trigger to a 2 stage at about 2.75-3 lbs. Factory is nearly 6 lbs.

Years ago Jewell and Timney were the big names. Is this still the case?

I did a search but didn't see any new/er threads.

Thanks!

Friends,

I have a BCM 750-750 (5.56 carbine) and would like to upgrade the trigger to a 2 stage at about 2.75 lbs. Factory is nearly 6 lbs.

Years ago Jewell and Timney were the big names. Is this still the case?

I did a search but didn't see any new/er threads.

Thanks!
Check and search here on forum and look into TriggerTech Diamonds or other of their offerings. Good things said here about them also lots of bids to be had online. New AR10 model coming sometime this year (per current literature below, though not on site yet). FWIW Actually posting one in PX soon, nuff said. You may find other deals, good luck. ?

Reactions: jp_over
Check and search here on forum and look into TriggerTech Diamonds or other of their offerings. Good things said here about them also lots of bids to be had online. New AR10 model coming sometime this year (per current literature below, though not on site yet). FWIW Actually posting one in PX soon, nuff said. You may find other deals, good luck. ?
That was supposed to say “vids” online.

Best two stage you will find, make sure to follow the directions when adjusting.

I really like the Triggertech primary. Not to mention the adjustability is nice as well.
That being said the flat blade LaRue MBT2s trigger (although ugly) breaks nicely at 3lbs and is $87 shipped. You can’t beat the LaRue for the money. If money is no object you just want the best Triggertech .
AR Gold are also top shelf.

I would definitely second the Trigger Tech Diamond for best precision trigger. Geissele High Speed National Match is also an amazing 2 stage trigger. The Geissele SSA-E and SSA are awesome as well. Less adjustable, just drop in. But still really nice and durable.

Best two stage you will find, make sure to follow the directions when adjusting.
^^^This^^^

You might even get it before the people who ordered theirs during their Black Friday sale :ROFLMAO::):ROFLMAO:

For what use? IMO best for all around run n gun but still makes an excellent precision trigger is the Geissele SD-E. Best for just a precision rifle setup Geissele HSNM.

I think it is tough to beat the Geissele 2-stage triggers. I have also heard a lot of positive comments around the Larue 2-stage, although I have never felt one personally.

It's my favorite trigger-have it in all of my rigs from cqbs to dmrs light and heavy. It's a rare thing to have something so good cost so little.

The MBT is a fair trigger...particularly for the price. I won't argue that. It is a good option if one wanted an SSA.

But it is not an SSA-E. And it is not even in the same realm of discussion as the HSNM. I have them all. For a precision AR, the HSNM is where its at.

The MBT is a fair trigger...particularly for the price. I won't argue that. It is a good option if one wanted an SSA.

But it is not an SSA-E. And it is not even in the same realm of discussion as the HSNM. I have them all. For a precision AR, the HSNM is where its at.

If you're talking about the trigger attributes I agree-if you're talking about quality of workmanship I think the Larue is at least as well made.

edit-for some reason it double quoted?

Last edited:
If you're talking about the trigger attributes I agree-if you're talking about quality of workmanship I think the Larue is at least as well made.

edit-for some reason it double quoted?

I agree it is nicely made out of quality components. But you ain't consistently getting a sub 4-pound pull from an MBT.

The point I was trying to make is that the MBT is essentially laRue's counter to the G SSA. It feels a bit different than the SSA. Not better. Not worse. Just different likely due to the geometry of the trigger blade. The end user can decide which he prefers.

But the MBT cannot, and does not, compete with G's precision oriented triggers. They are in a completely different class...particularly the HSNM.

I agree it is nicely made out of quality components. But you ain't consistently getting a sub 4-pound pull from an MBT.

The point I was trying to make is that the MBT is essentially laRue's counter to the G SSA. It feels a bit different than the SSA. Not better. Not worse. Just different likely due to the geometry of the trigger blade. The end user can decide which he prefers.

But the MBT cannot, and does not, compete with G's precision oriented triggers. They are in a completely different class...particularly the HSNM.

Received your point lima charlie-again (y)

My point was that the MBT is competition for the SSA-at 1/3 the price and even though its 1/3 the price it's actually a better made piece of kit. That's a rare thing in this world.

Best two stage trigger that I have used so far is Trigger Tech Diamond AR. It’s not as adjustable as my Geissele Hi Speed National Match, but better feeling.

The one problem any AR trigger of that design is subject to is the receiver tolerance. Standard trigger pin bore size is 0.154” plus or minus 0.0005” tolerance. This tolerance in both bore hole size, position, plus the normal clearance needed for the moving parts can stack up cause ever so slight mismatch to the sear surfaces. All the Geissele high speed match triggers come with 0.155” trigger pins to tighten them up, but is still subject to whatever the final receiver hole dimensions are. It’s just a limitation of the standard AR trigger design.

This tends to manifest itself as a slight dragging sensation. As the trigger is depressed this angle mismatch causes a movement of the hammer. This also limits how low of a spring weight you can safely use. To low and you won’t always get a resetting of the trigger if you only squeeze to the second stage “wall” , but then release without tripping the sear.

This only becomes a issue on sub 2lb trigger weights.

The Trigger Tech being a cartridge unit or any other of this style is not subject to this.

Some of the features that the Geissele has that the Trigger Tech does not, is fully adjustable first stage weight, second stage weight, and over travel. Trigger Tech is adjustable in its second stage weight , but only within the set factory range. You can swap any of the springs on the Geissele Hi speeds. All three are the same, just different spring set from the factory.

Received your point lima charlie-again (y)

My point was that the MBT is competition for the SSA-at 1/3 the price and even though its 1/3 the price it's actually a better made piece of kit. That's a rare thing in this world.

Roger that.

At the risk of being argumentative, I would submit the MBT is closer to half the price of the SSA vice 1/3. One just has to know when and where to look. But your point still stands.

The MBT appears to be made out of "better" materials if one thinks tool steel is superior to whatever G is using. I'm not a metallurgist and so will not wade into those waters. I don't know if it is better made as G triggers have reportedly done very well in scary places around the world.

How about we conclude this conversation like this: the MBT is likely the best sub $100 AR trigger on the market. Fair enough?

I've swapped two of my G SDEs for American Trigger Company AR Golds. Fully adjustable. First stage and second stage feel like G HSNM or any other two stage, but the reset is insanely short.

No issues with either rifle so far in around 2.5k between them. One thing I've noticed is during setting it up it has a neat little drop safety feature. If somehow you did jarr it bad enough the hammer slipped past the primary seat with the trigger not pulled, it has a second seat that catches the hammer. Pulling the trigger it will feel like a really crappy stock trigger at around 7lbs. It also doesn't allow the hammer to advance very far at all, so it still has plenty of striking force to ignite a primer. I haven't had it happen since I got it dialed in, only in adjustment setup... but it's nice it's there

Attachments

• 20200111_103112.jpg
    20200111_103112.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Lots of great feedback - much appreciated! I'm going to do some further reading with all this new information to check out.

Primarily, this gun will be for varmint / hog control with occasional range time (no competitions or matches).

I'm currently getting decent groups but believe an improved trigger will get me down to more repeatable sub MOA at 100 yards which is my overall goal. Once I can get fairly consistent sub MOA groups with good ammo I'm calling it GTG.

For AR triggers, the TriggerTech Diamond is the best of the best, IMO. I have 3 of them. Some of them can achieve a lighter pull weight than advertised too. I have one that is 0.85 lb. and functions perfectly. Incredible trigger. Better than many well tuned 1911/2011 triggers. The only thing I can really imagine beating it is a high end Remington 700 trigger. I am going to build a bolt gun with a TT Diamond R700 trigger solely based on how good the TT Diamond AR trigger is just to experience it, as I'm sure it's even better. (0.25 to 0.50 lb. pull anyone? :p)

Outside of that, I'd try AR Gold (I've owned this one and have friends with them), Timney Calvin Elite, or the new Timney Daniel Horner signature trigger that just came out.

If you only want a 2.75 lbs. pull, there are many triggers that will get you what you want. The most high end triggers, like the ones above, are pricey because of very light pull weights, very crisp walls, and very short resets. I'd look at Elftmann and Hyperfire for nice triggers in the 2-3 lbs. pull range.

Geisselle makes some great triggers. But when you can get two or more LaRue MBTs for the same price, that what I install now. Great two stage trigger for the price.

Geisselle makes some great triggers. But when you can get two or more LaRue MBTs for the same price, that what I install now. Great two stage trigger for the price.

Does the OP want the best trigger or the best value trigger? They are two distinctly different things in this case. Only he can decide which best fits his needs and wallet.

Reactions: rpoL98
I built a rifle for a buddy with an MBT in it and it's ok, but it really doesn't touch the Geissele SSA-E. The geissele is so much smoother, more crisp, and the shoe is much more comfortable in my opinion. The flat face and sharp(er) edges of the MBT just aren't my cup of tea. The reset on the MBT is pretty weak as well IMO. If you're on a budget, I'd have no problem recommending the MBT, but if you're looking for performance, Geissele all day. I think it would be fair to say that the MBT is on about the same level as a stock trigger on a Bushmaster Varminter.

Last edited:
So after reading this thread and getting a LaRue, because of the loyal following, I want to bitch about it should I start a New Thread?

Everyone seems to be assuming this rifle is being used a precision rig - not really the intended use for that rifle. So the AR Gold, NM, TT Diamond, etc are all fantastic, but not inline with the design of this rifle - its much more of a battle rifle capable of good accuracy rather than a precision rifle. With that in mind, ultimate reliability should be priority. Geissele SSA/SSA-E/SD-E/SD-C should be the pool of choice. If OP is budget conscious the Geissele 2-stage enhanced is essentially a batch QC'd SSA for ~$40-$90 less (depending on when you buy regarding sales)

Everyone seems to be assuming this rifle is being used a precision rig - not really the intended use for that rifle. So the AR Gold, NM, TT Diamond, etc are all fantastic, but not inline with the design of this rifle - its much more of a battle rifle capable of good accuracy rather than a precision rifle. With that in mind, ultimate reliability should be priority. Geissele SSA/SSA-E/SD-E/SD-C should be the pool of choice. If OP is budget conscious the Geissele 2-stage enhanced is essentially a batch QC'd SSA for ~$40-$90 less (depending on when you buy regarding sales)

Couldn't have said it better myself...though I'll admit I'm extremely partial as Geiselle is literally all I run. And to me the G2S is a winner.....especially when you get get it on sale for $100

So after reading this thread and getting a LaRue, because of the loyal following, I want to bitch about it should I start a New Thread?

Does that mean I should sell mine before I bother installing them?

Well before I gripe to much I'm calling them first thing Monday morning.
I'm going to put it in another rifle in the morning and see if it works any better.
If not I'll give them a chance to make it right.
With all the hype about these triggers it's got to be a problem on my end?!
We'll see. And I have no problem saying it's just me.

Can’t wait to hear. I ordered a handful of both straight and curved. I figured if I liked the straight bow better I could always sell the curved or just put them in the ar’s I don’t shoot. I only have Mil-Spec triggers besides a Timney that is in a ar10 3 gun and a 2 stage rra that is in an x1. I finally decided to pony up and get some Geissele triggers on the way, but after reading a bunch of people brag up the Larue triggers I decided to cheap out. Hope I didn’t lol

Ok here's the news.
I put the trigger in another rifle and it is 10x better!
To be honest I originally installed it in an 80%er that was a hair to narrow and was binding! What a dumbass ?!
Anyway this trigger's first stage is 1 1/2#
and 2nd stage just a little more than 1 1/2#
Totally pleased!!!

Reactions: JS8588
I built a rifle for a buddy with an MBT in it and it's ok, but it really doesn't touch the Geissele SSA-E. The geissele is so much smoother, more crisp, and the shoe is much more comfortable in my opinion. The flat face and sharp(er) edges of the MBT just aren't my cup of tea. The reset on the MBT is pretty weak as well IMO. If you're on a budget, I'd have no problem recommending the MBT, but if you're looking for performance, Geissele all day. I think it would be fair to say that the MBT is on about the same level as a Rock River 2 stage triggers.
I've owned all of the triggers you mentioned in this post. There is no way in hell the RRA 2 stage can be compared to the Larue trigger. Unless RRA has redesigned their trigger since I owned one. Mine was very inconsistent and would act like a single stage at times. A very mushy single stage at that. I'm not the only one who has had that pleasure either.

I've owned all of the triggers you mentioned in this post. There is no way in hell the RRA 2 stage can be compared to the Larue trigger. Unless RRA has redesigned their trigger since I owned one. Mine was very inconsistent and would act like a single stage at times. A very mushy single stage at that. I'm not the only one who has had that pleasure either.

There's some borderline preposterous statements in this thread lol.

I made a mistake. The trigger I meant to compare to was a factory trigger in an older bushmaster varminter, not a RRA.

If you want to spend the money, geiselle HSNM. It’s the best 2 stage trigger.
If not, the Larue for $87. Best 2 stage trigger for the money

This right here.

I have both, a HSNM in my CMP service rifle and the Larue 2 stage in an AR10.

Just built a 18" multi-purpose "battle rifle" AR and put a Triggertech Competition in it. Love the TT in my bolt gun, so I figured I'd try it in an AR.

Didn't need a sub-1lb pull, didn't desire adjustability. The 3.5 lb total 2-stage pull feels amazing. First stage is light but gives good feedback, second stage breaks very clean.

I see a lot of talk of reliability in here, but don't see why the TT would be any less reliable than any other mentioned here?

I installed a couple MBT’s last night. Not sure if my RRA 2 stage is one of the good ones people talk about or junk. But I thought the Larue was better. My wife liked the RRA better. This was just a few dry fires inside the house. I need to get out and actually shoot them to see what I think.

Run and gun I use Geissele SSA-E triggers
Precision AR I use AR Gold triggers
Three gun rifle has JP trigger

PSA had SSA-E for sale a while back for $120.00. Most times when they have they on sale I think they sell them for $180. Right now it's at $240. Just wait for the right sale to come a long. The other triggers I have I have never seen them on sale.