• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trim 357 mag on Henderson Gen3

Comhertz

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2020
Florida
Background and Issue:
I have a large box of 357 magnum that I want to trim for consistent bullet seating and crimping.

It looks like the henderson could trim only (no camfer and debur) by adjusting the gen 3 trimmer blades and using the correct pilot.

Needed a 357 pilot. Ordered Forster but the pilot shaft is too thick at .184. Gen3 uses a .155 shaft on its pilot.

Few questions:
I read that rcbs pilot is a .152 shaft. Would that be too narrow?

I’d appreciate if someone with an rcbs trim pilot measure the shaft and confirm size.

How hard would it be to use a drill press to turn down the forster pilot shaft? I have files. No lathe or friends w lathes.

Thanks

I’d bet you could get away with no pilot if you’ve got them square in the collet and you’re not trying to chamfer and debur.

I bought a spare cutting head and had the hole drilled out to 0.185 or so so I could use any Forster pilot.

This is my do everything cutting head. I have done a ton of 357, 41 Mag and 454. It takes hardly any time and the results are perfect. The only pain in the ass is adjusting the cutters when I change pilots.

I’d bet you could get away with no pilot if you’ve got them square in the collet and you’re not trying to chamfer and debur.
It does work. I ran one that way to test that it will cut, but setting the case correctly straight on the collet is a bit hit or miss for me. Pilot helps w alignment.
Thanks

I bought a spare cutting head and had the hole drilled out to 0.185 or so so I could use any Forster pilot.

This is my do everything cutting head. I have done a ton of 357, 41 Mag and 454. It takes hardly any time and the results are perfect. The only pain in the ass is adjusting the cutters when I change pilots.
Good to hear that this will work.

I ordered an rcbs pilot. If that works I'll return my recently bought forster pilots. If not I will pursue this route. Thanks.

Good to hear that this will work.

I ordered an rcbs pilot. If that works I'll return my recently bought forster pilots. If not I will pursue this route. Thanks.
RCBS pilots do fit gen3 henderson. Any 5/32 shaft pilot works. They use the narrower shaft. It will trim 357mag. You can adjust the blades to camfer and debur also.

I’m just getting to this thread and Love it! I’m wondering i can retrofit a cutter to accommodate 500SW… thoughts?