• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Triple beam scales for reloading

tacdriver2014

Private
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2014
I am looking to get a new scale for my long range rifle loads and want a lab grade triple beam scale like the Ohaus beam scales but all I can find is in grams not grains. Can anyone help me that knows how and where I can find one of these thanks

I use a triple beam scale for reloading my 20mm and bigger but for a rifle size cartridge its really not worth the trouble. It will be hard to find one graduated in grains other than the scales offered by most of the normal manufacturers like RCBS and lyman...most of those type of scales work ok but they're not really triple beams....more double with weights on a screw for tenths. With the 20mm size I'm looking at 550gr in one shot and the 24mm is 700-800gr and thats tough to do with a normal reloading scale. There are 15.42 grains to the gram so if you must use a triple beam in grams it can be done....its a pain though.

Good luck
Frank

I got fed up playing around with cheapy electronic scales and bought an Ohaus 0311. It goes to .01gram (IIRC) and use it to check the cheapy electronic now. I use the electronic to get close and then the Ohaus to narrow it down and then periodically check what my measure throws.

Most folks like to get down to 1/10th grain. Even at 1/100th of a gram (.01gram) it ain't quite there. I have the dial-o-gram (bought new in box for like 40 bucks) scale as well, but the conversions are a pain, even with a computer program doing the math for me. I been looking for a dial-o-GRAIN scale, but even an incomplete one usually goes for 200 bucks or so on ebay, and is at least 20 yrs old or more. Meanwhile I'll just stick with my 1010.

Your best bet for a tripple beam in grains is from ebay, they get listed occasionally but tend to go costly. Most are Ohaus scales sold under the Lyman brand name.

Personally, I think you're beating a dead horse. Multi-beam lab scales for reloaders used to be common, they were and remain quite expensive and still only resolved to .1 grain. Common beam scales can easily accomplish that, and .1 gr. of powder is as close to absolute consistency as reloaders can effectively use anyway; individual primers and internal volume differences in individual cases and moderate chamber temperature variations will cause more pressure differences than sand papering the last powder kernel for absolute repeatability can accomplish. And I challenge anyone using a multi-thousand dollar super precise electric powder dumpster to prove me wrong.