• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TRX training

Maximusmax51

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2010
United States
So I recently purchased a TRX kit and to say the least I'm impressed. It's not a substitute for throwing iron around but I like it. My question is how would some of you mix up the training? Any suggestions welcomed!

Here's what I'm thinking so far: Heavy/conventional weights to start of the week (Mon-Wed, Chesticles, back, legs, and shoulders). Then tapering off to the TRX bands thursday fri Sat mixed with some kettle bells. The difficult part is that the TRX is such a mixed workout it's difficult to really plan out a game plan. The other idea I had was to switch all that around and begin the week with TRX then end with the iron.

IDEAS?/??

Re: TRX training

I've been doing TRX and Kettlebells for the last year. Needless to say, they're both great for strengthening all the core muscles. I also use the swiss ball as well which is just as effective. I don't subscribe to the theory that you should do kettlebells and exclude everything else. I do kettlebell snatches on my back day for anywhere from 5-11 minutes in conjunction with my normal lifting. I do clean and presses with them on my chest day to work my shoulders. I mostly use the TRX bands for abs and other core work. Just make sure you use real strict form with the kettlebells. There is a lot of potential for injury if you get sloppy.

My wife and I own a Pilates studio,( her thing ) and she just bought a couple TRX systems to have additional tools to work her clients on. She has her level 2 training cert, I am very surprised how versatile it can be when you have someone pushing you that knows the system. I try to get in once a week to use it. Like KG said, need to be real careful with form, slow, steady and very strict movements for the TRX. I think its great to incorporate it into your weekly regiment. Its so different then slinging iron around gives a nice balance to working out all your major muscles. The support groups need there time to shine too, helps prevent injury's. If my weeks were ever perfect and I was able to... I try to do iron M-W ( chest & Tri, back & bi, Legs & shoulders.) Thurs, 1hr pilates ,for core work and to make sure everything is tracking right and body is balanced. Fri TRX, and Sat, mountain trail run. Sun off. With two young children,free time is limited here so most times its between training and going to the range... Range wins.

All we had at our patrol base in afghan this past winter was a pair of TRX and 4 dumbells. We used them in conjunction with each other and still managed to get in some decent workouts with so little. You can do everything from chest flys to curls on the trx, mix in some bodyweight exercises between sets and you have a good workout.

I am deployed currently. I have a trx set up in my area to use as much as possible. I use this in conjunction with normal push ups, situps, dips and a sledgehammer/ tire routine. I try and do a cardio routine everyday seperate to keep cardio up.

I still miss going to a gym and doing free weights but this will really work if you put your mind to it. I have modified some of the routines and exercises to target more areas I find myself weak in. I have found myself going to it after reaching muscle failure doing regular push ups etc to keep going and will say that I think my overall fitness has improved since the start of the trx.

Good Luck

I would use the TRX as a tool to help alleviate the soreness from your weights routine.

TRX is awesome for core work as you mentioned, but it is also good for lightly working a muscle or group of muscles that might be somewhat tender from a good weight lifting workout.

To shock the body and keep it guessing, you might do 3 hard weeks of your weight training routine using TRX as a core trainer, and then on the 4th week do a TRX routine to do a higher rep style workout on your muscles and lay off the weights in order to give your muscles a good healing period. I would utilize a lot of Casein Protein during the TRX week to aid in muscle recovery.

Love TRX! It is tough to find good exercises to do but the basics work great for me. I always pair a "forward" exercise with a "reverse" exercise.

Rows then Pushups for example.

You can find some good ideas on exercises on Google or at the gym with a personal trainer too.

I have been interested in using these for a while and came across a set of them in a redeployment TRICON and have been experimenting. I have the DVDs and the bands but do not have the cards that come along with them. If someone has the can they be scanned and sent to me possibly?