• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trying to decide between these two... Leica PRS 5-30 or Ziess LPR S3

TheDude219

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2022
NC
Fellas, could use some real world input. Need 2 scopes (6.5PRC and probably a 300PRC/338) max 1 mile (my goal is to build out to that) vast majority 800-1000 yards. The 6.5 prc will see some occasional hunting, so durability is important.

Anyone have either they really like?

Thanks

I have both.
I am a Liecaphile, just about everything, cameras, binocs, spotting scope is Leica.
But when I was using optical equipment professionally, it was Zeiss.
But, either will do the job, I have not developed any preference for one over the other.
I will say that the ocular and objective covers on the Zeiss are the best I have used but they cost extra on the Zeiss.
-Richard

Reactions: TheDude219
The Leica PRS 5-30 is my favourite scope in my collection but I’ll probably try the S3 for my next purchase.
You really can’t go wrong with either. Go with your preferred reticle.

Which S3 you looking at?

Didn't mention budget so... Have a Nightforce 7-35x56 ATAC-R and love it (but it tunnels on the low end of the magnification). Then I discovered ZCO 527. Whole 'nother level of amazing and built in Austria if that is something that trips your trigger. Mil-XT in the NF and MCPT-2 in the ZCO. If budget is an issue I would go Athlon Chronos. LOW made and a damn nice scope. The low end on the ZCO (5x) and the Athlon (4.5x) would would be nice for hunting I would think.

I have a S3 6-36 thats going on a rifle that will be here any day. Playing with it , it seems like a lot of scope for $2,500. I have a ZCO on another rifle that was $4130 and is definitely better, but I don't know if it is over $1,600 better. Zeiss is a pretty nice scope, and love the reticle.

Didn't mention budget so... Have a Nightforce 7-35x56 ATAC-R and love it (but it tunnels on the low end of the magnification). Then I discovered ZCO 527. Whole 'nother level of amazing and built in Austria if that is something that trips your trigger. Mil-XT in the NF and MCPT-2 in the ZCO. If budget is an issue I would go Athlon Chronos. LOW made and a damn nice scope. The low end on the ZCO (5x) and the Athlon (4.5x) would would be nice for hunting I would think.
Thanks for the reply and info. I have 2 zcos (420) and love them but really don’t want to spend that much more considering I’d like to set these two rifles up the same way.

Will check out the athlon.

I was leaning Nightforce originally but the contrarian in me wanted something different.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Probably the 6-36

It’s a very nice optic. Have one and also the 4-25. Was wondering as the 4-25 has 46.5 mils so wasn’t sure if you were looking for max elevation. Never played with the Leica but I know you can’t go wrong with either Zeiss. They are excellent.

I have the Leica PRS 5-30x56 L-Ballistic, the Zeiss S3 425 and the Zeiss S3 636.

I've been very happy with my Lecia PRS 5-30x56 L-Ballistic. No issues over the course of 2 years.

I believe that the glass on the Leica PRS and the Zeiss S3 is very good with no CA and clear edge to edge. Also no issues with tracking.

I had planned to buy another Leica. But when Zeiss introduced the S3 at such a great price with a few good reviews, I decided to take advantage of a pre-order sale and purchased the S3 425. I'm glad that I did as the scope is very good and much less expensive than the Leica. It's also more readily found to be in stock with one of the Hide suppliers.

After having the S3 425 for a while, I decided to purchase the S3 636 for a new build. Again that was a much lower price than the Leica and on sale thru a Hide supplier. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait for my CDG to show up before I can spend any time behind the S3 636.

You cannot go wrong with either the Leica PRS, unless you don't like the reticle, or the Zeiss S3. I will say that I prefer the zero stop mechanics on the Leica as well as the spline interface between the turret wheel and the reticle adjuster. This spline prevents any slippage of the turret wheel. On the S3 turrets, if you don't tighten the three set screws enough, the turret can slip while dialing.

So I went with another S3 mainly because I felt it was equivalent, less expensive and readily available.

Last edited:
It’s a very nice optic. Have one and also the 4-25. Was wondering as the 4-25 has 46.5 mils so wasn’t sure if you were looking for max elevation. Never played with the Leica but I know you can’t go wrong with either Zeiss. They are excellent.
Thanks Rob!

Reactions: Rob01
I have the Leica PRS 5-30x56 L-Ballistic, the Zeiss S3 425 and the Zeiss S3 636.

I've been very happy with my Lecia PRS 5-30x56 L-Ballistic. No issues over the course of 2 years.

I believe that the glass on all Leica PRS and the Zeiss S3 is very good with no CA and clear edge to edge.

I had planned to buy another Leica. But when Zeiss introduced the S3 at such a great price with a few good reviews, I decided to take advantage of a pre-order sale and purchased the S3 425. I'm glad that I did as the scope is very good and much less expensive than the Leica. It's also more readily found to be in stock with one of the Hide suppliers.

After having the S3 425 for a while, I decided to purchase the S3 636 for a new build. Again that was a much lower price than the Leica and on sale thru a Hide supplier. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait for my CDG to show up before I can spend any time behind the S3 636.

You cannot go wrong with either the Leica PRS, unless you don't like the reticle, or the Zeiss S3. I will say that I prefer the zero stop mechanics on the Leica as well as the spline interface between the turret wheel and the reticle adjuster. This spline prevents any slippage of the turret wheel. On the S3 turrets, if you don't tighten the three set screws enough, the turret can slip while dialing.

So I went with another S3 mainly because I felt it was equivalent, less expensive and readily available.
Awesome feedback and info! Thank you

Great question. I’m looking for some longer ranges as I’m over by Raleigh. Going out to a class at Pilot mountain later this year. Really need to get to Coleman creek. My range only goes to 330 yards.

Great question. I’m looking for some longer ranges as I’m over by Raleigh. Going out to a class at Pilot mountain later this year. Really need to get to Coleman creek. My range only goes to 330 yards.
Woody's down in New Hill has 1000 yards now. They had closed up memberships last year but think they opened them back up. An easy trip down Rt 1 coming from Raleigh. Coleman's is a great range but a decent drive.

Woody's down in New Hill has 1000 yards now. They had closed up memberships last year but think they opened them back up. An easy trip down Rt 1 coming from Raleigh. Coleman's is a great range but a decent drive.

That’s awesome! Just sent Woodys an email.

You in this area?

That’s awesome! Just sent Woodys an email.

You in this area?
Cool. Hope they are open again. A friend of mine got on a few months ago so they should be open still.

Yeah I am down near Fuquay Varina.

I'm in the same boat. Looking at throwing either the 4-25 S3 or 5-30 PRS on a 300NM, any advice?

I went with Atacr 7-35 for a 338 and a 4-16 for the 308. So all that comparison to get me back to where I started 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks for the reply and info. I have 2 zcos (420) and love them but really don’t want to spend that much more considering I’d like to set these two rifles up the same way.

Will check out the athlon.

I was leaning Nightforce originally but the contrarian in me wanted something different.
The Meopta Optika 6 is at least the same quality level if not better than the more expensive Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 but much cheaper on sale as demo models for $799.99 at EuroOptic and Scopelist. Made in Czech republic.

I've also seen a Leica PRS 5-30x for sale on eBay for $1000 off few days ago.

Last edited:
I own both, one s3 and two PRS‘s. To my eye the Leica has a brighter more crisp picture, better all the way to edges also. The Leica’s separate themselves for me in two ways when I am looking in a shaded area i.e. oak brush or pine trees the clarity and resolution is very good. Depth of field? Not sure the proper terminology. Second, is eye fatigue in the Lecias. I use my 20 practical for Wyoming ground squirrel and prairie dogs, so can be zooming in and out all day, and scanning at different distances. My eyes just don’t get wore out under the Leica. The Zeiss is nice, fit and finish is great, but will be selling it most likely. Bought both Leica’s as demos for 2,000-2,200 couldn’t be happier. I refuse to look thru a ZComp, but have compared to my friends attacr. I don’t feel like I am giving up anything in glass quality, and I am always impressed with an ataccr when I look in one.

Reactions: Ichi