Range Report  Tubb nose ring tool

newguy2k3v2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2009
College Station, Tx
Are these still coming along? I keep forgetting to call up there during business hours.

Hearing Frank and Mike talk about the terminal effects the nose ring could give you with a smk or similar caught my attention. I'm sitting on a buttload of 175 smk's and if I could make them more effective for pigs it would be awesome.

Reactions: ethanjordan

pinhead

Unnecessary Overkill
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2013
    Orchard Lake, MI
    Bumping up an older thread. Any more word on these?
    I don’t see them on his website but he is selling the DTACs with the nose ring already cut.

Reactions: A&8's

NICETRY

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Apr 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I can tell you that it’s a manufacturing issue holding up release of the tool. After talking to the designer of the tool last week about the nose ring cutter it’s getting the manufacturer to produce the tool body to the required specs that’s the problem.

rth1800

Two Star General
    Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    D. Tubb is not difficult to get ahold of. He does not play word games. Call SSS and ask him. You will get the straight story from the source.

CrabsandFootball

Banhammer
    Banned !
    Minuteman
    Apr 28, 2020
    Does Warner Tool use this Tool to put the nose ring in their Solids or do they use some other method?

rhsc

Red Headed Step Child
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 4, 2018
    South Texas
    Noob question, but what is a nose ring?

big-nose-ring.jpg

Somebody had to do it. :p

Seriously, it's a tool for cutting a ring into the jacket of a target bullet just below the tip in order to make it expand/fragment more readily when used to hunt game.

• Haha
    Reactions: 357Max

newguy2k3v2

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Sep 16, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    big-nose-ring.jpg

Somebody had to do it. :p

Seriously, it's a tool for cutting a ring into the jacket of a target bullet just below the tip in order to make it expand/fragment more readily when used to hunt game.
    Actually I'm pretty sure the original purpose was to make the bc more uniform from bullet to bullet. Enhanced terminal performance was a unexpected side benefit.

rhsc

Red Headed Step Child
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 4, 2018
    South Texas

If you guys have more info, post up some links. I'm all ears.

kennyg

Minuteman
    Apr 27, 2011
    USA

It has been a while since I listened to this episode, but I think he talked about it in there somewhere? Great podcast either way.

rhsc

Red Headed Step Child
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 4, 2018
    South Texas

It has been a while since I listened to this episode, but I think he talked about it in there somewhere? Great podcast either way.
    Cool. I'll check that out.

edit: Good info in that podcast about how Tubb determined the benefit of the nose ring and a Lapua-style rebated boat tail. I went to his website and found this description of his 6mm 115gr DTAC -

The creation of the Nosering application was a direct result from hunting experiences of which many excellent impacts “Ran Off” as the result of a nonexpanding DTAC bullet which has virtually no catalyst (other than hitting a bone) to initiate repeatable expansion. This resulted in experimentation using several different approaches with a goal of modifying these very accurate bullets in a way so as to create decisive expansion upon impact.

There were other benefits from cutting a Nosering on a DTAC bullet. These include increased uniformity of the drag coefficients not only during supersonic flight but also subsonic velocities.

Our feedback data speaks for itself; Not only does Nosering make your DTAC bullet deliver better shot to shot drag uniformity , which results in your vertical groups becoming smaller, but it also allows you to initiate expansive qualities. Takes a great target bullet and makes it a fantastic hunting bullet.

The DTAC with its Closed Nose (pointed tip) will show better shot to shot drag uniformity which will translate into smaller vertical group(s).

For a target shooter this means your DTAC group(s) will become flatter since your specific lot # of bullets that can be characterized as brothers and sisters will after a Nosering™ react more like identical twins. A Nosering will result in the bullet BC spreads being cut in half.

The Nosering tool allows the hard bullet jacket tip to fail due to stress fracturing on impact and which is driven into the lead core of the bullet. This initiates dramatic bullet expansion.

Last edited:
    Reactions: kennyg

Bulletsmith

Private
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Jul 11, 2017
    Ft. Benning
    Actually I'm pretty sure the original purpose was to make the bc more uniform from bullet to bullet. Enhanced terminal performance was a unexpected side benefit.
    Actually, talking to David it was the other way around. He was shooting baboons and wanted the 115 DTAC to expand and not just punch a hole in the animal.

Reactions: Squibbler