• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Tubb nose ring tool

newguy2k3v2

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Bellville, Tx
    Are these still coming along? I keep forgetting to call up there during business hours.

Hearing Frank and Mike talk about the terminal effects the nose ring could give you with a smk or similar caught my attention. I'm sitting on a buttload of 175 smk's and if I could make them more effective for pigs it would be awesome.

Reactions: ethanjordan
    Bumping up an older thread. Any more word on these?
    I don’t see them on his website but he is selling the DTACs with the nose ring already cut.

Reactions: A&8's
    I can tell you that it’s a manufacturing issue holding up release of the tool. After talking to the designer of the tool last week about the nose ring cutter it’s getting the manufacturer to produce the tool body to the required specs that’s the problem.

D. Tubb is not difficult to get ahold of. He does not play word games. Call SSS and ask him. You will get the straight story from the source.

Reactions: sandwarrior
    Noob question, but what is a nose ring?

big-nose-ring.jpg

Somebody had to do it. :p

Seriously, it's a tool for cutting a ring into the jacket of a target bullet just below the tip in order to make it expand/fragment more readily when used to hunt game.

big-nose-ring.jpg

Somebody had to do it. :p

Seriously, it's a tool for cutting a ring into the jacket of a target bullet just below the tip in order to make it expand/fragment more readily when used to hunt game.
    Actually I'm pretty sure the original purpose was to make the bc more uniform from bullet to bullet. Enhanced terminal performance was a unexpected side benefit.

You're probably thinking about bullet tipping. Different tool.

If you guys have more info, post up some links. I'm all ears.

It has been a while since I listened to this episode, but I think he talked about it in there somewhere? Great podcast either way.

It has been a while since I listened to this episode, but I think he talked about it in there somewhere? Great podcast either way.
    Cool. I'll check that out.

edit: Good info in that podcast about how Tubb determined the benefit of the nose ring and a Lapua-style rebated boat tail. I went to his website and found this description of his 6mm 115gr DTAC -

The creation of the Nosering application was a direct result from hunting experiences of which many excellent impacts “Ran Off” as the result of a nonexpanding DTAC bullet which has virtually no catalyst (other than hitting a bone) to initiate repeatable expansion. This resulted in experimentation using several different approaches with a goal of modifying these very accurate bullets in a way so as to create decisive expansion upon impact.

There were other benefits from cutting a Nosering on a DTAC bullet. These include increased uniformity of the drag coefficients not only during supersonic flight but also subsonic velocities.

Our feedback data speaks for itself; Not only does Nosering make your DTAC bullet deliver better shot to shot drag uniformity , which results in your vertical groups becoming smaller, but it also allows you to initiate expansive qualities. Takes a great target bullet and makes it a fantastic hunting bullet.

The DTAC with its Closed Nose (pointed tip) will show better shot to shot drag uniformity which will translate into smaller vertical group(s).

For a target shooter this means your DTAC group(s) will become flatter since your specific lot # of bullets that can be characterized as brothers and sisters will after a Nosering™ react more like identical twins. A Nosering will result in the bullet BC spreads being cut in half.

The Nosering tool allows the hard bullet jacket tip to fail due to stress fracturing on impact and which is driven into the lead core of the bullet. This initiates dramatic bullet expansion.

Last edited:
    Reactions: kennyg
    Actually I'm pretty sure the original purpose was to make the bc more uniform from bullet to bullet. Enhanced terminal performance was a unexpected side benefit.
    Actually, talking to David it was the other way around. He was shooting baboons and wanted the 115 DTAC to expand and not just punch a hole in the animal.

Reactions: Squibbler
    Any update on this? I found this thread after searching all over their website for the tool. According to post #32, it looks like it was listed at one time.

He was ambitious on his pricing. Wanted to sell an intellectual property lease. His licensing and demands were complete shit. It was a REALLY bad deal for anyone other than him.

Frankly it was embarrassing. And this is coming from someone who likes him and really appreciates his other products.

Reactions: newguy2k3v2
    They only made 50 of them from a prior post, wonder if they sold out at even that price.

I don’t like price, but having watched the videos, I can’t say that the precise adjustments (or low/lack of runout) are cheap to achieve. I don’t have enough projectiles I’d like to treat to offset the high cost, so I don’t plan on buying “the license“ to use one. I’m surprised he didn’t partner with Warner Tool, SAC, etc. etc. to get the cost down some. Does anyone know if CST makes these like the TUBB Adaptive rifle?

Reactions: DTubb
    They’re back up on the site. I might still be interested but I’d like a better idea on how much improvement there is too terminal effects.

I’ve also been wondering if a heavy nose ring cut would make heavy bthp actually expand at subsonic velocities like 300blk

They’re back up on the site. I might still be interested but I’d like a better idea on how much improvement there is too terminal effects.

I’ve also been wondering if a heavy nose ring cut would make heavy bthp actually expand at subsonic velocities like 300blk
    At the bottom of page 4 of the tool write-up PDF, there's a recommended cut depth given for the 220gr Sierra for use in
    300blk subsonic. You can read it here.

You know, this sounds like a great concept and a fine tool, but after taking the time to read through it, that license is just a total deal-killer for me. I could expound on this a lot more, but it's really a subject for the Bear Pit.

Last edited:
    Based on the videos and linked file the information is no longer protected and is now shared openly. His license now has many parts no longer enforceable.

Its amusing how they claim it is a license. Then want to sell you the caliber specific holders separately.

Based on the videos and linked file the information is no longer protected and is now shared openly. His license now has many parts no longer enforceable.

Its amusing how they claim it is a license. Then want to sell you the caliber specific holders separately.
    The product is still being described as a license, and the license is what you put in your cart to purchase on the website.

I think his reasoning for the license was to prevent people from using these in a commercial fashion then passing on warranty and liability claims to him. It also stops competitors from using it, I'd say the idea is worth more than $725 to a Barnes/Sierra/Lapua/Berger that wished to negotiate terms for it.

I think his reasoning for the license was to prevent people from using these in a commercial fashion then passing on warranty and liability claims to him. It also stops competitors from using it, I'd say the idea is worth more than $725 to a Barnes/Sierra/Lapua/Berger that wished to negotiate terms for it.
    I think you make a pretty reasonable assumption there, but the terms of the license don't make that distinction, so anyone who purchases the license (you're not actually buying the tool itself) is bound by those terms.

The part that I found disappointing is that they no longer recommend the use of the tool on a FMJ bullet. Despite this, I am still considering picking this up at some point.