• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Turn in my retirement packet today!

A&8's

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • So, lots of y’all know I’ll be retiring from my “Real” job 31Mar22.

I just found out, today, that I have the benefit time that will afford me to take a 4 or 5 day weekend every week from now until my retirement date (…..31Mar22, for those who weren’t paying attention earlier. Lol).

This really, REALLY warms my heart!!

Even though I “dislike” my job. Fact is, IT has been a major part of my day for the past 26yrs. I have worn a uniform for the past 34yrs. And worn a badge for 26 of those yrs. ‘Leaving’ it into the unknown is just weird !!!!

Nonetheless, at 51yrs old, I’ll have a 4 (or 5) day weekend from now until, well…………..The Rest of my Life!!!!

Congrats! I retired the first time at 42yo...that was a fun 3 months of terminal leave, but had to get another job since 60% of base pay isn't enough to "retire" on.

Enjoy, whatever comes your way, or if you go looking. ;)

Congrats you will enjoy retirement , i do. Thank you for your service in all capacities.
    Make the best of it brother

Congratulations. When I retired from the Army I got so bored on my 6 months of terminal leave that I started a new career..... one that allows me to go shoot every weekend ;)

• Love
    Reactions: A&8's
    Congratulations, life is too short to wait when the ducks are in order. It is true that you will find yourself busier retired than when you were working. Hard to believe but you’ll say, where did I find time to work. Difference retired, it is on your time and the ability to say, “hell no”. Enjoy Life.

• Love
    Congratulations! There’s no greater work-related feeling. You’re going to love being retired immensely. I wrapped up recently after 34 yrs. Feels like I’m a knew person.

I couldn’t go “Extended Terminal Leave” like you’re doing, so I wound up with several hours of leave time converted to pay. No complaints.

Congrats!
    I did the same in August 2020 with 31.5yrs actual service.

Definately take your vacation days.
    I took mine in a lump check and they taxed the ever loving F@#k out of it. Stupid personal girl told me they'd cut me a separate check, and it would be taxed different. They issued it all with my final paycheck. I was a little pissed.

Its a big step, but if you are like me, you'll never look back.

Definitely take your vacation days.
    I took mine in a lump check and they taxed the ever loving F@#k out of it. Stupid personal girl told me they'd cut me a separate check, and it would be taxed different. They issued it all with my final paycheck. I was a little pissed.

With my State employement, it's kinda like "double dipping." I can use my benefit time to "get me to my retirement date" (aka extend Service Credit) AND at the same time, the State "Cashes me out" for all of the time I have on the the "books."

So, as it it stands, I can use 8 months of sick/vac time to "get me to my retirement date" AND they will also give me a cash check for 8 months of my salary (minus 8.50 for retirement.)

I just signed my final separation papers today and they had a box to check for my lump sump to be "pre" or Post"....well.......doesn't take a genius to figure which box to check!!!!

With my State employement, it's kinda like "double dipping." I can use my benefit time to "get me to my retirement date" (aka extend Service Credit) AND at the same time, the State "Cashes me out" for all of the time I have on the the "books."

So, as it it stands, I can use 8 months of sick/vac time to "get me to my retirement date" AND they will also give me a cash check for 8 months of my salary (minus 8.50 for retirement.)

I just signed my final separation papers today and they had a box to check for my lump sump to be "pre" or Post"....well.......doesn't take a genius to figure which box to check!!!!

Yeah, mine was different state, and I was State Local Government System. State system like Troopers and teachers got was a bit higher end, but I'm not complaining.
    We could use our sick time toward retirement, but I didn't have any due to 3 major surgeries in 2 years......which is a big part of the reason I retired.
    I could have filed disability through the system, but with my years of service, there was no advantage. They would have simply retired me out on service.

I do wish you well, and hope you enjoy it, you earned it.

Dang, that's good for you. When I retired from the military I still had to sell leave, because I was over the use/lose cap. Unfortunately for me, that meant I only got "base pay" for the leave I sold, before taxes. It was still a nice "bonus" check though.

So, lots of y’all know I’ll be retiring from my “Real” job 31Mar22.

I just found out, today, that I have the benefit time that will afford me to take a 4 or 5 day weekend every week from now until my retirement date (…..31Mar22, for those who weren’t paying attention earlier. Lol).

This really, REALLY warms my heart!!

Even though I “dislike” my job. Fact is, IT has been a major part of my day for the past 26yrs. I have worn a uniform for the past 34yrs. And worn a badge for 26 of those yrs. ‘Leaving’ it into the unknown is just weird !!!!

Nonetheless, at 51yrs old, I’ll have a 4 (or 5) day weekend from now until, well…………..The Rest of my Life!!!!
    Congratulations!! Hope you get to enjoy a very relaxing, and enjoyable retirement. Again, congratulations.

Branden

congrats you made it to retirement i would not give up totally on working so fast maybe a Walmart greeter job is in your future lol keeping busy is important at your age and weight packs on dam fast when your sitting back on a yard chair tanning next to the swimming pool .best of luck on your retirement you old timer .lol

I retired 4 years ago at 50. Prepare yourself for some adjustments. I had a sick feeling that I was missing work for about a month. I went to the range every day for a few months, but felt like I needed something more. I found Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Something to fill the void I felt. So look for a new mission, whatever that looks like to you. Congratulations and enjoy!

Congrats!!! I highly recommend anyone retires AS SOON as you can. We're not promised tomorrow and today is all ya got.

Enjoy and again, congrats!

Congrats. I'll probably be retiring at the age of... 80.

I think i have about 13 yrs left… but its a nice 80% of my 2 highest earning years. Should be wayyy good enough to sit back and be useless.

soo... how many matches are you shooting this summer???...???

Not sure yet. Probably only 1 or 2 two day matches. Still intend on hitting 3 or so/month 1 day matches, though.

I have so many things that have been neglected on the farm, that I HAVE to get caught up. Plus, I intend on expanding the NRL22 range and cof. My intent is to get burn off the timber here in the next couple weeks, that way it'll be easier to cut new lanes.

Gave notice yesterday. Coworkers claim I'm a critical cog in this $400M project underway.. maybe... But just also found out 1 of the 2 most critical employees just quit with no notice!
    They tried to entice people to stay with a promise of a possible extra $20K-$30K next year. While already giving some less important people $100K-$200K retention bonuses.
    Guess it's not working out so well.

Want to retire, wife says not yet. Lol. So planned on taking a few months off, but may have already landed a job paying more. Ooof.

They tried to entice people to stay with a promise of a possible extra $20K-$30K next year. While already giving some less important people $100K-$200K retention bonuses.

Yeah. Considering money is just paper with pictures printed on it. It's not worth it to me.

I could have stayed until 01Jul and got another 4.95%.

I'm just flat D-O-N-E.

My last day it April 14th. I have 22 years. Loved my current gig but with ll the protest last year we crushed the ot. Its perfect time to go. What does suck is the Chief who is breaking balls about our ot. He knows a bunch of us can retire. God for bid we can leave in peace. First you can't do your overtime in a short time frame, next can't take off more then 2 days a week if you want ot, and lastly you must do ot on a Friday. Its just getting annoying. 5 of us are going the same week and will leave time of the books due to this BS.

Well, that's awesome. I just hope that I can live well when I retire. I'm a long way away from retirement, but I can see that my parents are struggling because their retirement payments are not that great. They're really old and can't take care of themselves. It's good that I can afford home care for them because they really need it. I contacted the people from https://homecareassistance.com/palm-beach, and they're taking care of my parents now. It's better than sending them to a home for the elderly because they wouldn't like that. I just hope I can afford that when I get older.

Last edited:
    It's just wonderful. My dream is to retire.

I can tell ya, I was born to be retired. I've worked hard all my life and now my life is paying me back. I retired at 55 and I'm now 61 and these retirement years have been wonderful. Even with all of my health issues, I wouldn't trade it for a million dollars.

I'm 71 and retired three years ago and am looking to go back to work. Am taking on line classes to get my TX real estate license but also have an interview this Thursday with a mechanical contractor to do my old commercial account/exes sales role.
    Just need to get back in the game somehow and could definitely use the cash.

• Haha
    Reactions: Plinker 73
    I can tell ya, I was born to be retired. I've worked hard all my life and now my life is paying me back. I retired at 55 and I'm now 61 and these retirement years have been wonderful. Even with all of my health issues, I wouldn't trade it for a million dollars.
    Good for you. That is the way retirement is supposed to be.

My folks have been retired for about 5 years now and they seem to be just figuring it out. I feel terrible for my wife's folks, they are in their 70s and no end in sight. Life is just so dang short I think you gotta enjoy it to the fullest while you can.

Reactions: bmash
    Good for you. That is the way retirement is supposed to be.

My folks have been retired for about 5 years now and they seem to be just figuring it out. I feel terrible for my wife's folks, they are in their 70s and no end in sight. Life is just so dang short I think you gotta enjoy it to the fullest while you can.

Yes, life is too short. I retired at 55, 6 years ago and a coworker retired at 65, 2 years ago. He died this year. The sad part, he and his wife were DINKs. They had more money in the bank than then 5 other coworkers.

19 Days and I am DONE at 65!!!!!!!
    WOOHOO
    I am self employed and very lucky as we have done well over the last 10 years or so.
    Wife is planning on working for 3 more years to make her FRA. Then we will see if she can keep up!
    Wish me luck.

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
    Congratulations. When I retired from the Army I got so bored on my 6 months of terminal leave that I started a new career..... one that allows me to go shoot every weekend ;)
    How did you have 6 months of terminal leave?????

Doc

Tuesday May 31st will be my last day after 25 years. I am 55. I wanted to work another 2-3 years but President Fucktard has driven the interest rates up causing my pension to go down so I have to retire. Losing 87k on my pension from interest rate increase from 2nd to 3rd quarter. I am sure it will be raised again 4th quarter.
    I am excited, nervous, scared all kinda shit. I figure fuck it worse thing is I have to go back to work even then I wouldn't need much of a job so I should be grateful for that. If I have to go back to work it will be something I want to do (anything gun related) or very low stress. Congrats to the Op and good luck. I disliked my job too but for a dumbass with only high school it has provided well for my family so its not all bad.

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
    How did you have 6 months of terminal leave?????

Doc

Because I never got to take leave......... I was doing 6 months deployed and 6 months home for like 10 years......... :(

They suspended Use or Loose for like over 15 years during GWOT.

Reactions: Doc68