• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TVP Steel Plate SUPPRESSED NIGHT SHOOT 4-18-09

Re: TVP Steel Plate SUPPRESSED NIGHT SHOOT 4-18-09

Hopefully, my 308 will be done by Saturday. Otherwise, I'll be bringinig the 300wm.

I'm in the same boat as you flounder....I'll be there early around noon to get some shooting in and hopefully get some lessons on LR shooting. But I'll be leaving before the night shoot, I couldn't get out of working my midnight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPDsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSC00104.jpg

Here's my 5 shot group today at 100 yrds. I finally got my rifle zeroed in.

No I just have to figure out how to adjust for the farther shots so I don't loose my zero again.

The low left shot was due to my own error, but the other four shots were all just about in the same spot. And just to clarify, I was out of targets, so I was shooting 2" x 2" post-it notes.

</div></div>

We both had a flyer!
IMG_1363.jpg

Shootin see repair dots don't last long at a hundred yards!

Nice shooting there....I need to other than the flyer, I need to get my groups to tighten up.

Which is at fault? Breathing or trigger?

Wind was different again. 12 MOA plus for wind was new for 700 yard target.

Better shoot corrections quick for 1000 yard.

Most likely my trigger pull is my downfall....I feel like my breating is ok.

I need to work on tightening my groups as well. Thats some damn fine shooting glenn. It makes me think about getting an aftermarket trigger. Mine is at 4.5 lbs but any lighter and it starts to get unsafe.

Wish I had a gun to practice with. And need to develop a new quicker load for my shorter barrel now.

flounderv2

I've used a one pound trigger for years and have NEVER-knock on wood set it off accidently. 1- 2 lbs is perfect for me. My BR rifle is 2 oz. and in all the years I've shot it I've only set it off TWICE in competition while on the line not meaning to.
And that's shooting 5 shots in 10 seconds. Drop a Jewel in or we can customize/adjust it to a safe pull of 1.5-2 lbs and you'll be fine. Let me know.

Tom

flounderv2....same here, after the trigger job on my 5R, it will be somewhere around 1-2lbs. My AR is at 8oz and crisp and clean. Plus no accidental set offs.

I pulled my stock off my 5R and adjusted the stock xmark trigger down as light as it would go but at one point, it was going off as soon as I closed the bolt. I started to increase the weight until it quit firing on bolt closing and when we checked it with firemarshalls trigger weight device, it was reading just over 4lbs. Thats what I meant when I said that it was getting unsafe below abut 4.5 lbs. I didnt mean that any trigger that light was dangerous, I just meant that the trigger on my 5R gets dangerous when set much lower.

Only a few more cases to form.
Going to try the same load in formed cases next.
Hoping for full cases, but not compressed load.
Not too hot yet.

Tom,

Thank's for a fun shoot Saturday.

So does anyone know for sure if there will be an adapter for the people that have the non standard 5/8X32 muzzle brake threads to 5/8X24 to make sure that those people (me included) can try out some of the shark cans and participate in the shoot..

I don't know where we'll be shooting from Sat. morning, but I'd like to put a few down the tube from the benches just get zeroed in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No I wont be down this weekend. I need to work on the bikes and then head to see the family. I have a friend coming in town from San Diego as well. Next week I am planning on leaving columbus in the afternoon so I will probably get out there between 4-6 which should give me enough time to create some drop charts for some new loads. Unless there is an adapter out there for my threads and a sample to use, I will just watch a few of the shots to decide on a potential manufacture of can and then head back to Cbus. No sense in me standing around all night watching others shoot and not being able to do anything myself. </div></div>

Are you shooting Factory Loads, Neck Sized Reloads or Full Length Sized Reloads?

Scott

I was planning on shooting from the line. He has steel targets out to 1000 from there if I remember correctly. I wanted to be able to put my two cans on paper at 600 and log the change in impacts between the two of them and without the can. I haven't had time to play with the new can at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott A Cousino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No I wont be down this weekend. I need to work on the bikes and then head to see the family. I have a friend coming in town from San Diego as well. Next week I am planning on leaving columbus in the afternoon so I will probably get out there between 4-6 which should give me enough time to create some drop charts for some new loads. Unless there is an adapter out there for my threads and a sample to use, I will just watch a few of the shots to decide on a potential manufacture of can and then head back to Cbus. No sense in me standing around all night watching others shoot and not being able to do anything myself. </div></div>

Are you shooting Factory Loads, Neck Sized Reloads or Full Length Sized Reloads?

Scott </div></div>

This time I will be shooting neck size reloads. I usually anneal and FL size after every 2 shots through the case. I have my drop charts for my 168 amax load at 100 yard increments out to 1K. I have about 180 each of the 155 scenar and 175 SMK that I would like to create charts for as well. My scope only has 44 MOA of elevation and I use 4 to zero which means I run out of elevation with the 168amax before being able to reach the 1165 target. When I shoot that target, I usually grab one of my 155 or 175 loads for it.

I cleaned, neck sized and trimmed about 100 cases last night so tonight I will chamfer and prime them all tonight and probably start loading tomorrow.
Im planning on being out there in the afternoon to shoot from the benches for drop charts. Im also throwing my dirtbike in my truck since Im sure there will be some down time between the shooting from the benches and waiting for it to get dark. I figure it would be something fun to do.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott A Cousino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No I wont be down this weekend. I need to work on the bikes and then head to see the family. I have a friend coming in town from San Diego as well. Next week I am planning on leaving columbus in the afternoon so I will probably get out there between 4-6 which should give me enough time to create some drop charts for some new loads. Unless there is an adapter out there for my threads and a sample to use, I will just watch a few of the shots to decide on a potential manufacture of can and then head back to Cbus. No sense in me standing around all night watching others shoot and not being able to do anything myself. </div></div>

Scott </div></div>

Just curious does it matter can from can how your reloads are sized?

Floudner,

What type of annealer are you using I have been thinking of getting one to start doing this just havent pulled the trigger on it yet. And how many more fireings are you getting out of your brass by doing this?

Power drill and blowtorch, the budget annealer.

I threw 100 of mine in Toms "Ken Light" machine one day after a shoot, I wish I wouldnt have because now I want one, took about 10 min to do 100 cases and they were all perfect.

I try to FL size the least amount possible, I only do when the case becomes difficult to chamber...which is also when I trim. You can get max case life that way, and neck sized loads are supposed to be more accurate in factory rifles.

yeah. same as what jon said. I use the shell holder in my drill and a blowtorch.. As far as additional firings is concerned. I have probably around 10 reloads on my cases now and they look brand new. If memory serves me correctly, I think when Tom shot the world record, he had 57 firings on his cases.

Edited... yep.. found the article.
http://www.6mmbr.com/6BRBlog.html

Shooters,

Format for Saturday was to shoot the Steel course during the day.
Some shooters want to shoot from the benches. So...we will shoot from the benches to chronograph and shoot groups. Then when everyone is done we will shoot the course. Shark Suppressors will be here in afternoon for the evening shoot.

Saturday is YOUR day here at TVP, you guys take a vote on what you want to do, as long as it's safe and everyone's happy I'm happy.

Tom

Picked my rifle up today...... it's been turned down and threaded (5/8 x 20) Finally finished.......No just waiting on Form 4 to go through.

At least I'll be able to shoot the 5R on Sat. I'm happy with whatever we shoot...I'd like to shoot from the benches to get zeroed and figure out my MOA adjustments, the shooting the course will be good with me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firemarshall27</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott A Cousino</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No I wont be down this weekend. I need to work on the bikes and then head to see the family. I have a friend coming in town from San Diego as well. Next week I am planning on leaving columbus in the afternoon so I will probably get out there between 4-6 which should give me enough time to create some drop charts for some new loads. Unless there is an adapter out there for my threads and a sample to use, I will just watch a few of the shots to decide on a potential manufacture of can and then head back to Cbus. No sense in me standing around all night watching others shoot and not being able to do anything myself. </div></div>

Scott </div></div>

Just curious does it matter can from can how your reloads are sized? </div></div>

No, My wife is not coming to the shoot so I was going to offer her rifle if he wanted to shoot it, it's threaded and ready to go, but if his rounds are neck sized only they might not work, as chamber to chamber are different. Full Length resizing would allow the rounds to work in any chamber.

Only other issue is hers is a 20", don't know what he's shooting now, plus the S&B is Mrad, not MOA, so don't know if that would be an issue.

Scott

Im down for bench shooting till about 3-4:00 then maybe station 1 & 2 however much time there is. Im going to have two different loads, and want to log POI change with the suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im down for bench shooting till about 3-4:00 then maybe station 1 & 2 however much time there is. Im going to have two different loads, and want to log POI change with the suppressor. </div></div>

Nobody cares what you want jon..
smile.gif
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I pulled my stock off my 5R and adjusted the stock xmark trigger down as light as it would go but at one point, it was going off as soon as I closed the bolt. I started to increase the weight until it quit firing on bolt closing and when we checked it with firemarshalls trigger weight device, it was reading just over 4lbs. Thats what I meant when I said that it was getting unsafe below abut 4.5 lbs. I didnt mean that any trigger that light was dangerous, I just meant that the trigger on my 5R gets dangerous when set much lower. </div></div>

Who elses did we check that day?

Looks like we better bring steaks.

Saturday is YOUR day here at TVP, you guys take a vote on what you want to do, as long as it's safe and everyone's happy me happy.

We can help Tom make this another "Best shoot ever."
Inspect last two stations. What are yours?

Looks like I'll be down for the day on Saturday. Can't stay for the night shoot, but would like to get some bench time in. Haven't made any modifications to my gun since the last shoot I was down for, so we'll see how it works out. Looking forward to it. See you all there!

I plan on eating a large sammich..
smile.gif

Im ready!
block.jpg

Trying out some 178 Amax this weekend. Since the 168s are impossible to get right now, my local Bass Pro had 700 of the 178's, bought 300 to try.

If anyone is interested in this information, when I had Tom thread my barrel I also had 4" cut off from 26" to 22". I was shooting 44.3gr varget pushing the 168's at 2730fps with the 26" barrel. The same exact load in the 22" barrel now shoots 2690fps. So I only lost 10fps per 1" of barrel. I was a bit shocked, I was expecting closer to 25fps per inch.

I wasnt happy with sub 2700 though so I found a new load at 45.3gr that shoots 2750 and quite well.

My 178 load will be 44.6gr Varget @ 2670 I believe...assuming it shoots as well this weekend as it did at my house.

Just cant wait to do some suppressed shooting! Its going to be soo hard to leave without my can, BATFE DAMN YOU!

Ive given up river walleye fishing. Lost 20 rigs in two days of fishing and didnt catch a single walley legally. Screw that.

Collins meats, near the fairgrounds.
I may find a good steak on the way down.
Bakers, or Buehelers open early.
All in town.
Too muddy to even think about going here.

I plan on getting there around noon. I can't stay long, so the earlier I get there the better.

I'm going to have breakfast with the family and then hit the road around 1000. Should put me there around 1230 to 1300.

Josh

Shooters,

Shark Suppressors will be here at 11:00 A.M. for tests and comparisons. Try to get here early if you can. Sould be a great day weather wise.

Tom

Sorry for leaving so soon today guys. I started to get a horrible migraine and thats pretty much all she wrote for me.

How was the night shoot? I was hoping to make it home for that one.I`ll make it for another one.I hope.

van

Yesterday was my first time at Thunder Valley,I was really impressed,the range is AWESOME!I entered in the Tactical match and had a blast,and learned alot!There was some serious firepower there,there was some really impressive rigs there.I am looking forward to going back soon,hopefully with some buddies.
Max Neu

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: van</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How was the night shoot? I was hoping to make it home for that one.I`ll make it for another one.I hope.

van </div></div>

It was amazing, Tom did an phenomenal job with the setup, looking with the naked eye I though to my self "no fucking way", once on the scope the targets and only the targets were visible, Jon and Josh were on fire, multiple first round hits in the dark, amazing part was Jon didn't even have a lit reticle, he was damn near shooting blind, using the flash light illuminating the target to find his cross hairs and take the shot. I can't say for sure but I think either Josh or Jon had a hit on the 1000 yard on the night course.

I had a few night hits but struggled, there were no calls for correction, cause you couldn't see anything but the 8x18 steel, if you didn't have good numbers from the day shoot you were screwed, unfortunately for me my log skills have some serious issues.

I hate going down to Thunder Valley, it's makes coming back to Toledo almost Unbearable
grin.gif

Wanted to put a post up thanking Dave from Shark Suppressors for making the trip to Thunder Valley.

After hearing his Can on Tom's .300 Hulk, all I can say is WOW, I'm pretty sure after the guys who were in attendance heard it his sales just went thru the roof, it was that amazing.

Dave did a mini torture test with his 5.56mm Hammerhead can with 3 back to back 30 round mag dumps on one of my M16's, I believe Flounder took video of it, so it should be posted up here sometime soon, turned it some pretty colors but held up fine and sound nice and quiet to boot.

Scott

Scott-
Thanks for the report.I am anxious to hear what Tom`s rifle sounds like with the surpressor mounted.

van