• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Twist for 6.5mm and 7mm barrel?

Agunner012

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2003
New York
What twist would be best for a Rock barrel in 6.5mm shooting a 142 SMK bullet, and a 7mm Rock barrel firing a 175 SMK bullet?

TIA

Re: Twist for 6.5mm and 7mm barrel?

I thought I'd ask only because my 7 WSM is using a 9 twist, then someone mentioned 8.7 twist and the tilt light came on.

For a Rock barrel in 6.5mm shooting a 142 SMK bullet i would go with a 1 in 8 twist rate. 1 in 8.5 is fine for lighter bullets, but for the 142 SMK you need the 1 in 8.
The heavier bullets and faster twist rate perform better at longer ranges. Though you might find a lighter bullet and a 1 in 8.5 rate better if you are shooting at shorter ranges. I assume as you are asking about 142 SMK's that you have already made that determination, and are shooting at longer ranges.

My Kreiger 6.5 1-8.5 twist shoots 142SMK very well. Not to say a 1-8 won't do it better, but bugholes are bugholes. And I quit the 142 anyway in favor of the 139 scenar