• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Two 700Ps, two scopes- what to put on what?

45Badger

Private
Minuteman
I've got two 700Ps, one in .308 and one in .223. I've got two leupold scopes-

VX3 - 6.5-20x40mm, side focus, fine duplex reticle
VX3 - 4.5-14x50mm, side focus, varmint reticle

Currently, the 5.6-20 is on the .223. Just snagged the other one.

Guns are (or hopefully will be) used for-

.223 - punching paper out to a couple hundred yards and varmint (woodchuck, prairie dogs, and maybe a coyote) hunting
.308 - punching paper out to 600 yards, and long range voting from the rooftops/zombie apocalypse

Given the size of intended targets for the .223, I'm biased towards keeping the higher magnification on that gun. It's just a bias, and not a particularly well grounded assessment. Your thoughts?

Re: Two 700Ps, two scopes- what to put on what?

I say send the 4.5 x14 in for an upgrade to mildots and m1 turrets, put it on the 308. Go shoot them both and decide what you like or need for optics on either rifle. Good luck

The 4.5-14 has great range for the 308 or 223. I like the varmint reticle as well. Depending on what you paid for them will determine your next step. You may want to sale the 6.5-20 and get a mil-dot scope for the 308 and put the 4.5 on the 223.

John

If you decide on a recticle change leupolds tmr is a nice reticle esp. for the 308.

I'd go with what you're currently doing. 6.5 on the .223 and 4.5 on the 308.

6.5-20 on the 223. It is a varmint gun and the higher magnification helps.

4.5-14 on the 308 and if you are gonna be dialing it up and down, at least get leupld to add turrets.