• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Two S&W M&P

captnmo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2008
Fort Lewis, WA
Ok, I find myself in a strange situation. Through odd circumstances, of which I'll leave out, I find myself with TWO S&W M&P AR-15s. One is the Tactical, the other is the X model pictured here.

Tactical
mp15tactical.jpg

X Model
811008_large.jpg

So here's the dumb, time-wasting question we all live for on this site. Which one would you keep? The Tactical looks "tacti-cool" but is the extended quad-rail practical with the flip-up front sight. Any problems with optics on the X with the fixed triangular front-sight. Anyone have expreience with either one and have any preferences?

Obviously I can't keep both, so that's my dilema. Ha!

Re: Two S&W M&P

Ranger,
I'm out of Ft. Lewis.

Both rifles are built the same. But the X model has that fixed front sight on it. Does that affect the barrel to affect it's accuracy at all? Of course, it's what we all carry in the military but I'm just curious if anyone has shot the tactical version and noticed a marked difference with the barrel totally free floated.

Both are exactly the same actions and barrels and I think, really about the same re-sale value minus a few bucks for the BUIS in the front.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captnmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ranger,
I'm out of Ft. Lewis.

Both rifles are built the same. But the X model has that fixed front sight on it. Does that affect the barrel to affect it's accuracy at all? Of course, it's what we all carry in the military but I'm just curious if anyone has shot the tactical version and noticed a marked difference with the barrel totally free floated.

Both are exactly the same actions and barrels and I think, really about the same re-sale value minus a few bucks for the BUIS in the front. </div></div>

Welcome aboard! Link up with Tribe as he is on your side of the mountains and is a great source of information.

I love free floating barrels so if both of them can bring the same price, I'd pick that one. <span style="font-weight: bold">BUT</span> if there is a significant difference in resale price and you are interested in getting a bolt gun, sell the higher resale valued rifle and join in on bolt gun fun!

Just my opinion, that is.

Thanks Ranger, I'll look him up. Either one I sell is definitely going to a bolt gun.

If it's your only AR I'd keep the bottom one for sake of simplicity. You can always throw std handguards on there to keep weight down too. If they're the same price keep the X model of course, it's free floated and has the super cool Troy BUIS! ;-)

With the way the pics are posted I'm a little confused on which rifle is which. The top pic is the Tactical and the bottom the X right?

I'd keep the top rifle with the longer handguard if it houses a mid to rifle length gas tube. Nothing wrong with a carbine tube but the recoil is different.

dlc, I checked the one with the longer handguard, and the gas-block is in the same position as the AR-15X. It's just inside the handguard and not visible. Sorry, the pic is confusing. You're correct, the AR-15T is the one with the extended handguard and the AR-15X is the standard length, quad-rail with the fixed front sight.

Oh, o.k. With the gas systems being the same I would probably keep the T. For me, the longer handguard is more comfortable.

The T model has a slightly longer sight radius, so, with the railed free float, you've got, perhaps, a little more accuracy; yet, it's probably going to be meaningless.

I had the same debate when I got my M&P15. I got the M&P15t because of the free floating barrel and the flip sights. I did not want to have to co witness the iron sight all the time.

I think I'm keeping the tactical. Not because it looks "tacticool" but because I like the two BUIS's, the longer rail for more flexibility, maybe more accuracy with the longer distance between the two sights and the free-floating barrel. But both are nice rifles. Either one would do well to stike fear into the hearts of neighborhood cats.
grin.gif