• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultimate Build for a Precision 10/22 w/no budget

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I would like to build a nice precision 10/22 for practicing precision shooting.

It will be scoped and need to have a stock that will not flex when shot slung up. I want it to be somewhat light (I will still walk with it at times)

If money wasn't an object, how would you build it and why? I don't own the gun yet so should I buy an aftermarket receiver, or just start with a standard 10/22?

Re: Ultimate Build for a Precision 10/22 w/no budget

sorry but 10/22's are lame
smirk.gif

Just for s&g's, try bedding the factory barrel full length.

Tell me what you find out.

If that works, then replace the trigger group internals with Volquartsen bits; I suspect you'll like the results of that too.

Greg

I have a 25 meter range at my house and I would like to shoot it there. Is it possible to build a bolt gun that feels like my rem 700 with a mcmillian stock? That would be the ideal it sounds like. I would like to use my suppresor on the gun as well. What are everyones thoughts?

to look and feel like you 700 then you maybe look into the SAko Quad with the Manners stock OR Mcmillian can also inlet the Sako in some A model like your 700...just my 2 cent..

Yep if you want it to be close to your 700 you are in luck the 40x .22 rimfire is as close as you are going to get. It can use any of the 700 stocks action is the same footprint. It's probably the best option out there for a trainer. Should be able to find a used 40x in the $800-1000 range.

Man that is nice. I was hoping to come in under $1000 for the gun. What options should I be looking at?

look like the Quad is sold for about 600$.. a stock will cost you around 500 $ Manners or Mcmillian your choice... later if you need a barrel Lilja make a drop in bull contour for the quad..

The cheapest I can find a quad for online is about 800 bucks. Anyone know a good place to get one?

How do they compare in accuracy to a other bolt guns like CZ or Anschutz?

a Sako quad?

Go to Gunbroker and get a Sako Quad for $430 (shipped),Manners Stock, Lilja barrel, etc......It has been done before.....and be patient it will only take 6+ Months and cost $2k+ with a reasonable scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m1a convert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I would like to build a nice precision 10/22 for practicing precision shooting.

It will be scoped and need to have a stock that will not flex when shot slung up. I want it to be somewhat light (I will still walk with it at times)

If money wasn't an object, how would you build it and why? I don't own the gun yet so should I buy an aftermarket receiver, or just start with a standard 10/22? </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">McMillan Sporter</span> stock, but shop around - Volquartsen sells at ultimate retail. The going rate for an off-the-shelf McMillan Sporter is under $400.00. I bought this <span style="font-weight: bold">McMillan Sporter</span> off of <span style="font-weight: bold">edgerat</span> a couple of weeks ago.

I have a great shooting, slightly tweeked 10/22 in a Hogue Overmolded (black rubber) stock. I shoot it off of a bipod most of the time and you can tell there is some flex there, but hey it shoots well. I hope my built-from-the-ground-up 10/22 will shoot better in the McMillan. It <span style="font-style: italic">should</span> for what it cost to build.

<span style="font-weight: bold">MOA Stainless Steel Receiver</span>. Stronger (but heavier) than CNC'd aluminum. Has a second lug at rear of receiver which will allow you to free-float a heavy barrel without stressing the receiver. Threaded 3/4-16 for thread-in barrels, but the barrel port is reamed at .6875" to accept standard 10/22 "slip-in" barrels. I prefer thread-in barrels, as you can eliminate barrel droop and the inconsistent alignment inherent in the V-Block system.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Volquartsen CNC Machined Bolt</span>. I like the Volquartsen CNC'd Bolt over the <span style="font-weight: bold">Kid Match Bolt</span>, <span style="font-weight: bold">Rimfire Technologies Accurized Bolt</span>, and the tuned unit from <span style="font-weight: bold">Connecticut Precision Chambering (CPC)</span> because I prefer the design of the firing pin. Rather than using a flat firing pin in a slot (like the stock Ruger and other tuned units), the Volquartsen's round firing pin is enclosed entirely within the bolt body and will not "ride up" like other firing pins can do. Sure, the bolt can be pinned to keep the FP from riding-up, but the VQ unit doesn't require pinning.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kid Two-Stage Match Trigger</span>. Expensive? Hell yes, but the Kid trigger is the best of the best.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kid Receiver Pin Kit</span>. Keeps the receiver pins from falling out when you remove the action from the stock.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Kid Bolt Buffer</span>. Definitely worth it to have - smooths-out the cycling of the 10/22 action by reducing the vibration of metal-to-metal contact. (You've gotta figure its easier on the action too).

<span style="font-weight: bold">Krieger</span>, <span style="font-weight: bold">Lilja</span>, <span style="font-weight: bold">Douglas</span>, or <span style="font-weight: bold">PAC-NOR</span> barrel blanks. Randy at CPC can get you squared away and send the barreled action to you when ready.

If you don't go with the Volquartsen CNC Bolt there are the others mentioned above, or just have Randy at CPC do the bolt work for you. Also, if you don't want to wait for a barrel blank you can always use a slip-in. In that case you can order <span style="font-weight: bold">Kid Completion Kit with Two-Stage Trigger, Barrel, Receiver Pin Kit, & Bolt Buffer</span> ($499.10), or the <span style="font-weight: bold">Kid Completion Kit with Two-Stage Trigger, Barrel, Bolt, Receiver Pin Kit, & Bolt Buffer</span> ($571.21). I've actually spoken to both Tony and Maripat Kid but I forgot to ask if Kid stakes-in the firing pin to keep it from riding up in the slot, which can cause inconsistent ignition. I've read that Kid uses re-worked factory bolts - I know that Randy at CPC does, and that Randy pins his bolts. Skeeter at Rimfire Technologies can tell you what method they use, but I think he pins them too.

The MOA receiver, .920 barrel, and VQ CNC bolt add heft. Add a bipold and the gun is a lot more chunky than a factory gun, but its still light compared to a .308 or most good German air rifles.

Keith

like discuss in the secon thread 10/22 are lame....I mean for the same price you will never outchoot a bolt action.. never.

mine is a stock ruger action. volquartsen carbon fiber with comp. 17 hm2 barrel. volquartsen bolt. volquartsen tg2000 trigger group i got from their bargain bin. hogue overmolded stock. volquartsen scope mount on the barrel. some kind of rubber bolt buffer. and a 2.5-10 scope. shoots one hole at 75 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teo74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry but 10/22's are lame
smirk.gif
</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SLEEVER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">like discuss in the secon thread 10/22 are lame....I mean for the same price you will never outchoot a bolt action.. never. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After having put a few 10/22's together my advice especially since you said you had no budget would be to simply buy a loaded volquartsen with a mcmillan stock. If you wanted to load it up from there I'd say put a kidd trigger in it. It's the best thing going in a semi-auto. Probably have $1500-1600 in it with the kidd upgrade depending on your options. Another good option is the clark custom 10/22's that run anywhere from about $650 to over $1000 depending on options.

The problem with a 10/22 is all the parts are poor tolerances and most are made out of junk metal and the receivers flex under heavy barrels and are not threaded. By the time you buy all the parts to build one especially if you want a steel aftermarket threaded receiver, you'll spend more than the VQ and it may not shoot as well. Of all the 10/22 builds I've built and shot not one will out shoot my VQ and none have the overall quality and fit/finish. Some will shoot right with it, but in those cases, they actually cost more than the VQ, and most of them won't shot as well and are usually not as reliable.

Now that being said if you just want a good shooter you can get a nice used 10/22 buy a laminate aftermarket stock, bed it, and put on a green mountain barrel, have the bolt trued, add some trigger parts and have a good shooter and probably spend less than $600. Like most things at some point you hit diminishing returns and you spend a lot of $ for little improvement.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Also keep in mind that even the best .22 semi's will not hang with the top bolt .22's.</span> </div></div>
<span style="font-weight: bold">ToddM</span>, I think everyone here in this thread understands this. <span style="font-weight: bold">Teo74 and SLEEVER - the OP originally asked about building a Precision 10/22</span>, not about building the <span style="font-style: italic">most accurate precision .22 or one that most closely approximates the feel of a Remington 700</span>. Anschutz and Sako are plenty accurate out-of-the-box and building a trainer most closely approximating the weight and feel of an M700 would require the use of a Remington 40X or the recently announced <span style="font-weight: bold">Predator 25X Rimfire</span> action, both of which will run about $2,000 with a McMillan or Manners stock <span style="font-weight: bold">before</span> glass. That discussion belongs in another thread of which there are several.

Keith

I would get a Tactical Solutions action, Kidd trigger and a Lilja barrel. Stock choice is up to you.

Use a cantilever scope mount, not one that attaches to the action.

For prone shooting you might have a tough time finding a good stock designed for that. For offhand any of the laminate stocks are a good choice.

If you want to practice for shooting an AR, the Nordic 10/22 conversions are very cool.

I got my saki quad and barrel. What scope rings and bases are you using?

scope ring seekins precision nice stuff
and for the rail hotrod9mm .. both are gtg...