• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultimatum Deadline Light Firing Pin Issues?

zaprosper

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 10, 2020
Hey guys, been looking at selling one of my Borden rifles and starting a switch barrel rig based on the deadline short action. This would give me interchangeable bolt heads and an integral recoil lug, which would be an ideal set up for a switch barrel rig with a 6mm creedmoor and 7 SAUM. I was talking to a distributor for a lot of actions in Canada and when I mentioned I was looking at the Deadline, he didn't have a whole lot of good things to say about it. The one thing that would concern me the most is that he stated that they lightened the trigger spring in order to make bolt lift easier and that by doing so some people get light strike issues that cause accuracy problems.
What has your guys impressions of this action been? Has there been any major functionality issues with the action? I'm not concerned too much with some of the minor inletting things as they are just that, minor. I'm leery of trusting everything he says as he really pushes the brands he sells hard. He doesn't have anything good to say about any of the Canadian rifle component manufacturers, including MDT, but MDT has created a good name for themselves on SH and their customer support is top notch. He mentioned the Bighorn Origin as a better alternative to the deadline, but it has a pinned lug and I would want to get the Big Horn TL3 if buying from them. That would cost about $700.00 more than the deadline.
Overall, how happy have people been with the Deadline as a precision rifle action and are there any alternatives that compete besides the BigHorn?

I know deadline is coming out with a gen 2 but I'm sure production got slowed down by covid. I've never felt a deadline but the bighorn works great.

I went the same route you want to go, switch barrel system. Truth is it gets annoying switching barrels, spending a day at the range re-zeroing, and than ending up switching back to the barrel that you'll shoot the most.

You can try going to a match to feel an action or just get a big horn origin and a deadline. Sell what you hate the most after putting rounds on them.

I’ve owned two Deadline actions. I’ve had the heavier spring and have been running the lighter spring for some time now. I’ve never had a single issue with the action.
It’s currently setup as a 6 Creed and works flawlessly. Their first Deadline wasn’t all that desirable but they definitely fixed whatever issues they had. I’m very happy with mine. And just an FYI, I have zero affiliation with them.

I just ran the rifle at the NF ELR match and that match was super windy and dusty. I was very happy how the action ran with all the garbage blown into the action.

Attachments

• 6E70DF63-ADF8-4963-A75E-7623A4624F47.jpeg
    6E70DF63-ADF8-4963-A75E-7623A4624F47.jpeg
    659.3 KB · Views: 140
I know deadline is coming out with a gen 2 but I'm sure production got slowed down by covid. I've never felt a deadline but the bighorn works great.

I went the same route you want to go, switch barrel system. Truth is it gets annoying switching barrels, spending a day at the range re-zeroing, and than ending up switching back to the barrel that you'll shoot the most.

You can try going to a match to feel an action or just get a big horn origin and a deadline. Sell what you hate the most after putting rounds on them.
You might be thinking of the Defacto action, which is a Tikka footprint. Looks like a nice action, but release has been delayed quite a bit.

You might be thinking of the Defacto action, which is a Tikka footprint. Looks like a nice action, but release has been delayed quite a bit.
Gen 2 700 pattern. I'm aware of the defacto action as well.

I’ve owned two Deadline actions. I’ve had the heavier spring and have been running the lighter spring for some time now. I’ve never had a single issue with the action.
It’s currently setup as a 6 Creed and works flawlessly. Their first Deadline wasn’t all that desirable but they definitely fixed whatever issues they had. I’m very happy with mine. And just an FYI, I have zero affiliation with them.

I just ran the rifle at the NF ELR match and that match was super windy and dusty. I was very happy how the action ran with all the garbage blown into the action.
Wow that is a lot of fine dust. Is the spring change something they made from some of the early production deadline models, or is it a change they made from the U300 to the deadline? They look like an appealing action that's for sure and I can get a barreled deadline for the price of a TL3. Also a bonus that it has a 60 degree bolt lift as a lot of my hunting rifles just so happen to have a 60 degree bolt. Have you had any other customs that you could compare the deadline to? Would you change anything about the action?

Gen 2 700 pattern. I'm aware of the defacto action as well.
Hmmmm, you must have an in somehow. That is the first I have heard of that and now I'm interested to see what they could have changed.

Hmmmm, you must have an in somehow. That is the first I have heard of that and now I'm interested to see what they could have changed.
No in. Some guy made a triggertech 2 stage post and built a canadian "I'm sorry" rifle. He talks about the gen 2 and he answered me on the forum. It's in snipershide somewhere.

Wow that is a lot of fine dust. Is the spring change something they made from some of the early production deadline models, or is it a change they made from the U300 to the deadline? They look like an appealing action that's for sure and I can get a barreled deadline for the price of a TL3. Also a bonus that it has a 60 degree bolt lift as a lot of my hunting rifles just so happen to have a 60 degree bolt. Have you had any other customs that you could compare the deadline to? Would you change anything about the action?

The spring is a Deadline upgrade. Just a lighter spring to assist with bolt life but I haven’t had any light strikes at all with it.

The only thing I’d change would be the bolt diameter. The thick diameter is what lends to the issues with dropping it into a chassis. It’s not a deal breaker for me but definitely something to be aware of. Most only need to shorten the rear action screw and the mag catch

The spring is a Deadline upgrade. Just a lighter spring to assist with bolt life but I haven’t had any light strikes at all with it.

The only thing I’d change would be the bolt diameter. The thick diameter is what lends to the issues with dropping it into a chassis. It’s not a deal breaker for me but definitely something to be aware of. Most only need to shorten the rear action screw and the mag catch
Ok so the spring upgrade is part of the upgrade from the U300.
I was curious what changes Ultimatum would make for the Gen 2, so I emailed them and got this response.

"Yes Gen 2 will be announced soon, if you put your order in now, you will be receiving a Gen 2 version.

The main changes are an upgraded/ strengthened firing pin design, and a dual, opposing firing pin spring to eliminate torque on the firing pin. "
Doesn't sound like any major changes to action design, but they could potentially be looking to improve the firing pin and spring a little.

Reactions: sleeplz
I was curious what changes Ultimatum would make for the Gen 2, so I emailed them and got this response.

"Yes Gen 2 will be announced soon, if you put your order in now, you will be receiving a Gen 2 version.

The main changes are an upgraded/ strengthened firing pin design, and a dual, opposing firing pin spring to eliminate torque on the firing pin. "
Doesn't sound like any major changes to action design, but they could potentially be looking to improve the firing pin and spring a little.

Sounds like the upgrades are bolt specific.

It seems you already have some concerns about going with a deadline. Now the information you’ve obtained is of no real value because you’ll be in the first to get and try the new gen2. I think we’ve all bought stuff we weren’t sure of, just trying to save money. Most of the time we learned that we would have been better off to have spent the extra money in the first place. There’s a reason people aren’t grabbing up the deadline. You have a couple of choices. You can find out why only a few people use them or you can get something else. If it was me I’d follow the herd and get a bighorn. Let someone else find the problems with their new gen 2. Unless you can afford to buy something you might be unhappy with and make improvements to it.
The switch barrel is another thing that sounds like a good way to save money but you’ve heard others say it’s a real pain. You can get 2 bighorn origins for a couple of hundred dollars more than the tl3 and extra bolt head. 2 guns is always better than 1. Get the stock you like and a QD scope mount and switch out barreled actions and scope to the one you’re using. Save money that way if you must. Just saying

I was the one who talked about the gen 2 design. The bolt will be backwards compatible with gen 1 deadlines. The actual action will have a cosmetic difference but all the changes are to the bolt itself. I'm looking forward to seeing what the gen 2 bolt is like. I love my deadline smooth and beefy.

Reactions: jmikell870
I’m also intrigued to see the new design for the firing pin assembly. The only drama I’ve had with my Deadline is with the firing pin, and not light strike related. Just got off the phone with my gunsmith and he’ll be getting the Gen 2’s with his next shipment (Australia).

When all said and done you might consider simply getting another rifle. Keep your Borden, it has few equals.

At the end of the day OP, get what you want. You’ll get a million and one opinions here... get this, buy that, I have issues, I don’t have issues, etc, etc, etc. No brand is impervious to issues. I’ve had issues with a Defiance, Mausingfield, the list goes on. Most minor and easily fixable but issues nonetheless.

I still own my deadline and it’s my main match rifle, as well as owning Defiance and others. My advice, which is worth as much as the one ply TP in a public bathroom... is get the Deadline if you’re considering it. You won’t be disappointed. Insert cool pic here....

Attachments

• ED5B6AAB-9C8E-48C6-9B0A-929FA71E6FCB.jpeg
    ED5B6AAB-9C8E-48C6-9B0A-929FA71E6FCB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
When all said and done you might consider simply getting another rifle. Keep your Borden, it has few equals.
The more I think about it, I might have to do just that. The appeal of running the switch barrel rig is one stock, one optic. I have the Borden for sale so I can get a SA to run 6mm creed, but it may be worth it to keep the Borden as my LA bigger game rig and get a dedicated target 6mm creed. I do like buying different optics and scopes anyways...

It seems you already have some concerns about going with a deadline. Now the information you’ve obtained is of no real value because you’ll be in the first to get and try the new gen2. I think we’ve all bought stuff we weren’t sure of, just trying to save money. Most of the time we learned that we would have been better off to have spent the extra money in the first place. There’s a reason people aren’t grabbing up the deadline. You have a couple of choices. You can find out why only a few people use them or you can get something else. If it was me I’d follow the herd and get a bighorn. Let someone else find the problems with their new gen 2. Unless you can afford to buy something you might be unhappy with and make improvements to it.
The switch barrel is another thing that sounds like a good way to save money but you’ve heard others say it’s a real pain. You can get 2 bighorn origins for a couple of hundred dollars more than the tl3 and extra bolt head. 2 guns is always better than 1. Get the stock you like and a QD scope mount and switch out barreled actions and scope to the one you’re using. Save money that way if you must. Just saying
Yeah good point, working without the newest info with the changes to the action. but I would imagine whatever they do would be an upgrade.
What you say makes a lot of sense actually in getting 2 actions instead. Problem with my current situation is that I would have a SA and a LA if i got a new action and kept my current one. And i probably wouldn't have a problem being a Guinea pig on the new Gen 2 action. I like trying new things out and I have a good local gunsmith only 25 minutes away for any fitment I can't handle myself. If the LA sells for the right price you might be on to something getting 2 origin actions and running it in the same chassis. I hadn't considered that

No issues with my Deadline I have a 6.5 PRC barrel on now. It is my favorite action. I also have an Impact and a TL3.
Interesting to hear you say you prefer it over 2 very reputable actions. What exactly is it for you that you like it most?

Interesting to hear you say you prefer it over 2 very reputable actions. What exactly is it for you that you like it most?
It is by far the smoothest. And not that I'm not confident in my Impact or TL3 but the Deadline is...robust. Majority of the custom actions on the market these days are reliable as long as they're set up properly. It all comes down to features that are important to you and which feels best to you.

I've got over 5k rnds on an original Deadline, and another 500 on my backup Deadline. Never had any light primer strike issues. I've used both the original FP springs, as well as the newer lightened springs....zero issues.

As a Canadian, I've been somewhat following the development of Ultimatum as a brand.

What's most confusing to me, is the design aspects of their actions. It's an R700 footprint - "kind of". Huge oversized bolt body, small ejection port. It's like they thought that current designs were too weak, and they had to remedy that with their own action. To me, some of their design elements are solutions looking for a problem, and introducing new problems by doing so. This is why I think they are unpopular.

If you like the features that the Deadline has, it doesn't really have any peers, so go for it. People that have it seem to like it.

I like the Deadline action I have. It's done everything I needed it to do and I trust it enough to loan it out to anyone at matches. We've had a new shooter, and a youth at that, run it at her first match and have a great time. At least good enough to run it again the following month. Too bad she's got her old man pinned into getting a lefty version for her now :LOL:
Loaner.jpgcover-Loaner.jpg

I have 2 deadlines as well. One is dedicated for 223, the other I switch between 6.5x47 and 308. I have the original springs. I have never had a single issue with either rifle.

Reactions: zaprosper
I think Ultimatum got a bad rap with their first U300 action. I never played with one, but thought about it. I have 2 of the first 60 production Deadlines, and they've been virtually perfect. Feeding, extraction, and ejection have all been flawless. I thought the original bolt lift was pretty light for a 60deg throw, especially after a few thousand rounds.

As a Canadian, I've been somewhat following the development of Ultimatum as a brand.

What's most confusing to me, is the design aspects of their actions. It's an R700 footprint - "kind of". Huge oversized bolt body, small ejection port. It's like they thought that current designs were too weak, and they had to remedy that with their own action. To me, some of their design elements are solutions looking for a problem, and introducing new problems by doing so. This is why I think they are unpopular.

If you like the features that the Deadline has, it doesn't really have any peers, so go for it. People that have it seem to like it.
The oversized bolt body and small ejection port add to the weight and "beefy" feel that many people mention. You are right that some of the design elements are confusing and don't allow for a direct drop in if you had a 700 footprint chassis for it. I'll likely be purchasing my chassis from MDT and as far as I know, they have a deadline inlet for some of their actions.
Based on the great feedback from a lot of the people here, I'm going to give the deadline a try. The quirks don't matter too much to me and it doesn't really have a peer with regards to the features, as you mentioned. I'll likely keep the Borden in an HS precision stock to be more suited for elk and moose hunting and run the deadline as a LR target rig. I was struggling to try find that compromise in weight to keep it as a suitable hunting and long range gun and it makes way more sense to run 2 different guns. It will end up costing more in the end, but I will probably be happier with the final result. I just need to convince the wife of that:cool:. Ultimate plan is to build a fully Canadian rifle.

The oversized bolt body and small ejection port add to the weight and "beefy" feel that many people mention. You are right that some of the design elements are confusing and don't allow for a direct drop in if you had a 700 footprint chassis for it. I'll likely be purchasing my chassis from MDT and as far as I know, they have a deadline inlet for some of their actions.
Based on the great feedback from a lot of the people here, I'm going to give the deadline a try. The quirks don't matter too much to me and it doesn't really have a peer with regards to the features, as you mentioned. I'll likely keep the Borden in an HS precision stock to be more suited for elk and moose hunting and run the deadline as a LR target rig. I was struggling to try find that compromise in weight to keep it as a suitable hunting and long range gun and it makes way more sense to run 2 different guns. It will end up costing more in the end, but I will probably be happier with the final result. I just need to convince the wife of that:cool:. Ultimate plan is to build a fully Canadian rifle.
I ordered a Manners TL-2 with a Mini Chassis II with Deadline inlet. The barrelled action dropped right in. I did have to mod the mag release (removed material from the top/catch and arc'ed it forward) for AICS mags, but that was to be expected. It was known in advance and I think that's more of a Manners thing that an Ultimatum thing. Not that it was a problem.

I'm not fond of any trigger hangers, which the Deadline has. But, it's a necessity and there's no way around it. Also, I don't change triggers frequently, nor do I remove the barrelled action very often. So, another thing that just isn't a big deal. I like the bolt knob, 60 degree lift and the cycling of the action, DLC coated, nice and smooth.

I just picked up a MDT ACC with the deadline inlet, it dropped in real nice. Haven't had a hiccup yet shooting 6.5 saum.
I would have gotten another ACC for mine but MDT doesn't inlet for a lefty Deadline. :cautious: Mine dropped right in to a MPA Comp but as stated had to modify the mag catch.

I would have gotten another ACC for mine but MDT doesn't inlet for a lefty Deadline. :cautious: Mine dropped right in to a MPA Comp but as stated had to modify the mag catch.
Always discriminating against us lefties:mad:! I think I will be happy with the ESS and was thinking of going with that.

Interesting to hear about the firing pin re-design. The original one in my buddy's Deadline snapped in two. Wonder if there's any relation to that or not. Haven't heard of any other major issues from him since his firing pin was promptly replaced but Ultimatum.

Reactions: ddridan
I just picked up a MDT ACC with the deadline inlet, it dropped in real nice. Haven't had a hiccup yet shooting 6.5 saum.
What mags are you running and do you have any issues with mag length? My only concern with running the saum in a SA is having problems with COAL

What mags are you running and do you have any issues with mag length? My only concern with running the saum in a SA is having problems with COAL
I'm running Accurate Mag 300wsm mags. No mods made to the lips. With .120 FB the only bullet that doesn't fit in my mag so far is the 150 SMK until it's about .025 off the lands.

Got the deadline Gen 2 ordered. What ended up making it an easy decision is how great customer service. Derek was helpful and there to answer questions. Now the waiting begins, gives me enough time to start purchasing the rest of the components for the rifle. I'll likely get a barrel chambered in 6 creedmoor. Will be my first time building a chassis gun and I am open to any recommendations people have for obtaining a good fit.

I have an mdt acc for the deadline like I said and works flawlessly. I heard on the mpa ba comp you just have to trim the mag latch. The krg chassis you have to make room for the trigger safety ontop of shaving the mag latch.

Looks mostly like a cosmetic change, and I'm sure they'll incorporate the running changes they have been making since Gen1, like the lighter firing pin spring, and upgraded bolt stop.

Either way...awesome!

I have an mdt acc for the deadline like I said and works flawlessly. I heard on the mpa ba comp you just have to trim the mag latch. The krg chassis you have to make room for the trigger safety ontop of shaving the mag latch.
I forgot to mention I am cursed with left handedness. I believe that takes the ACC off the table. Haven't looked at the MPA ba too much as only one place sells them in Canada and it is a little pricier. Sweet chassis though.

I forgot to mention I am cursed with left handedness. I believe that takes the ACC off the table. Haven't looked at the MPA ba too much as only one place sells them in Canada and it is a little pricier. Sweet chassis though.
I'm in Canada also. I know Tom at Gobigtactical.ca will give out 5-10% if you ask for it. Great guy to deal with.

I'm in Canada also. I know Tom at Gobigtactical.ca will give out 5-10% if you ask for it. Great guy to deal with.
Good to know. I have heard nothing but good about Tom. The MPA hybrid looks like a nice lighter weight option.

Interesting to hear about the firing pin re-design. The original one in my buddy's Deadline snapped in two. Wonder if there's any relation to that or not. Haven't heard of any other major issues from him since his firing pin was promptly replaced but Ultimatum.
Where abouts did his firing pin snap mate? Mine also snapped at the thread which is threaded into the sear catch.

Reactions: Northernjets
Where abouts did his firing pin snap mate? Mine also snapped at the thread which is threaded into the sear catch.

His broke at the exact same spot. He's had no issues since, but he hasn't been out much since either due to work. I'd like to hope the issue has been fixed. His action was a sub 100 S/N iirc.

Good to know. I have heard nothing but good about Tom. The MPA hybrid looks like a nice lighter weight option.

Bought my two Nucleus actions off of Tom. Has been a mostly positive experience with him.

Reactions: ddridan
For any of you guys running the deadline, what have you used for a bore guide? The oversized bolt means I don't have any that fit.