• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ultra high-powered scope review

Godbullet

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2012
Tx
Hey guys. In my quest to make an ultra long range rifle I have found that I want a higher powered scope in order to better view the target. I had earlier decided on getting the zeiss hensoldt because of the clarity but since they only offer that scope in a x 24 magnification I am instead looking at the Nightforce x42 NXS and the Schmidt and Bender PMII 12-50x. These scopes seem to be the logical two choices for the distances I will be attempting. Please don't tell me I need something like a 5.5-22x 56mm NXS, a top of the line Zeiss, or a S&B PMII 25x. My decision is to go above a 25x scope and to get one that can withstand the recoil of a large cartridge. If any of you have information on these two scopes or anything over 30x for a larger caliber weapon please let me know. Thank you all so much.

Re: Ultra high-powered scope review

Typically high power scopes like those have limited elevation adjustment; that's why guys typically stick with the 5-22 NF or the 5-25 S&B.

Plus the mirage will kill you above 25X on most days.

what kind of shooting are you doing? the thing about those very high magnification scopes, is you don't get as much adjustment

I have seen people run the us optics sn-9 10-42x on top of 50 bmg rigs so might be worth looking at. It is a pricey piece of glass. 220 moa elevation travel thanks to external adjustment.

Why do you think you need so much magnification? When we were out in Idaho a few years back shooting the 408 Chey tacs we were hitting moa sized targets at 2000-2500 yards on 17x. Could see them just fine.

Also with the large mag you will have troubles with mirage. This past week at the Snipers Hide Cup I was mostly on 12x when shooting at the farther 1000-1150 yard targets because anything more was getting washed out.

Lastly recoil wont be that bad as any larger cartridge like that will have a brake on it or it wont be shot much.

Just something to think about.

Each time you go up in Magnification you are magnifying the problems in the atmosphere by that much.

So when you are trying to shoot far, less power is often better, magnifying mirage by 50x is bad, by 15x makes easier to see.

More is not better, in fact it makes a lot of things worse.

i purchased the march 5-40x56. this was for my first long range precision rifle remington 700 5r.

i would have purchased a sb pmII 5-25 but the wait was all summer and i wanted to start shooting this spring.

i have no experience with other scopes more or less. this is my observation..

i like the scope. yes mirage can be an issue. depends on how it is. but you just dial it back to less power if its an issue and roll on.

it lets me see bullet holes at 300 easily. its as good as a spotting scope.

i've used it at 600 and everyone else was having a spotter tell them where the bullet landed. we had folks marking shots on the targets with plugs and i could see those just fine.

as an exercise, i put this on a anschutz 22lr 64 MPR. at 100 yards it lets me see the itty bitty 22lr holes with ease. i like it so much that i now want another high power scope for the 22 (the march moved to the 700).

i like having the extra magnification. so much so that im thinking about buying another scope and im now interested in looking at the sb 12-50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Godbullet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys. In my quest to make an ultra long range rifle I have found that I want a higher powered scope in order to better view the target. I had earlier decided on getting the zeiss hensoldt because of the clarity but since they only offer that scope in a x 24 magnification I am instead looking at the Nightforce x42 NXS and the Schmidt and Bender PMII 12-50x. These scopes seem to be the logical two choices for the distances I will be attempting. Please don't tell me I need something like a 5.5-22x 56mm NXS, a top of the line Zeiss, or a S&B PMII 25x. My decision is to go above a 25x scope and to get one that can withstand the recoil of a large cartridge. If any of you have information on these two scopes or anything over 30x for a larger caliber weapon please let me know. Thank you all so much. </div></div>

In that there is "no telling you" all I can add is

knfut.jpg

they told me i coulnt mount my 65X spotter on my ULTRA super duper long ranger
funny-1.gif

I wish I was so smart that I didn't need advise from anyone. Since you "know" what you need to shoot ELR and are just asking for what quality scope would be best, I would recommend the S&B. Like everyone else said, I hope this is a dedicated ELR rig if you plan to go this route because the adjustments aren't the best for short range work.

IOR has a very high powered scope that should suit you just fine.

I agree with what's been said above, the further out you go, the more mirage you incur. While I may use 25X out to 600, I tend to back it down to 16-20X past that, and sometimes even down to 12X if the mirage is really bad

But if you are stuck on higher Mag, go for the March 10-60
wink.gif

I am working to get a group on a 1.75 to 2.0 mile point target. So I am going to sacrifice my close in range of say less than 1000 yards in the hopes that I can someday make a group at 3080-3520 yards. I don't care about close in range. I hope nobody thinks I plan on taking a custom .408 cheytac or a .416 barrett to a 100 yard range. Yes I did look at the 5.5-22x NF and the S&B 25x PMII, and the Zeiss Hensoldt and while I can see a human at that distance, with those magnifications, I think a much greater magnification would be to my advantage. I am not going to be doing any tactical shooting with this weapon and will only fire it on a known course which is at 10,400 ft elevation almost exactly true east (to negate my right/left factor in regards to coriolis effect). I am doing this because I want to see if it is possible and if I can to contribute to what we know about ultra long range ballistics on the .416 and .408.

Think so, well on paper your plan sounds almost realistic...

When we did the Gunsite Test for the 338 bullets, we shot them on paper out to 1500 meters.

Here was the nice and clear early morning shot on 20x through my Zeiss spotter... last board is 1500m as stated above. Note the wind flags too, they matter.

targetsGunsite.jpg

Now just a few short hours later, with mirage. With less magnification.

mirage.jpg

We started off short and were shooting sub MOA, actually pretty much .5 MOA at 1000 yards and still getting everything on paper at 1500m in order to "group" was not easy by any stretch.

Grouping has nothing to do with magnification, in fact you might be better off quartering a target like the boards we have up, however as you can see we have 2 sheets of 4x8 plywood down at 1500 and we had a spotter on site to verify the hits were actually on the boards. It was a multi-person process to test the bullets at distance.

Under the best scenario, 1 MOA is 30 inches, that hardly happens at that distance as a 1 MPH wind will push beyond that, so count on missing from one shot to another is not uncommon due to conditions beyond your control. 30 inches is probably your starting point, start adding in the shooter, conditions after that.

Magnification is not your friend, and have nothing do with groupings, and skipping a 1000 yards while sounding great, isn't always the right way to go.

But to each their own, good luck with that... get whatever scope makes you feel fuzzy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Godbullet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys. In my quest to make an ultra long range rifle I have found that I want a higher powered scope in order to better view the target. I had earlier decided on getting the zeiss hensoldt because of the clarity but since they only offer that scope in a x 24 magnification I am instead looking at the Nightforce x42 NXS and the Schmidt and Bender PMII 12-50x. These scopes seem to be the logical two choices for the distances I will be attempting. Please don't tell me I need something like a 5.5-22x 56mm NXS, a top of the line Zeiss, or a S&B PMII 25x. My decision is to go above a 25x scope and to get one that can withstand the recoil of a large cartridge. If any of you have information on these two scopes or anything over 30x for a larger caliber weapon please let me know. Thank you all so much. </div></div>

I recently purchased a NF NXS 8-32x56 for the purpose of using it on my benchrest rifle. The scope is a beast. The magnification is more than what I could have asked for. I took it out for a spin recently, and the mirage that was produced by the lovely Texas heat by 0900 hours was a killer; 0900 hours, not freaking mid-afternoon. What I quickly discovered, which I had already experienced with other high magnification scopes, was that as I cranked the magnification the more haze I was experiencing. Plainly stated, the clearest picture (and I don't mean crystal clear at all) of the 600 yard target that I was shooting at was achieved at about 18x or less. As soon as the power was cranked the more haze or blurry picture that I would experience. Will I ever be able to use the 32x without experiencing a shitty ass view, probably, but I'm not betting anything on it. I'll have at my disposal the 32x whenever it is ideal for me to use it, though. Is it a plus? Maybe. It all comes down to personal preference. Will I get another 8-32? I don't think so.

I feel that I just rambled an unclear statement.
grin.gif

Godbullet,

If you are looking for justification for using these uber-powerful scopes, then you've come to the wrong forum. You just won't find it here. Those scopes simply are not used in the manner you are seeking.

Benchrest shooters and benchrest shooting is a completely different animal.
Takano_Wind_Flags.jpg

In that arena even the latest 80 power scopes have found a following. But that is not field/practical shooting.

The cynic in me wants to cheer you on, knowing full well that if you buy that crazy powered scope you will soon find it unable to fulfill your needs and it might just end up in the for sale section. From there it will go from one set of hands to the next, as novice shooters try and fail to use it for tactical shooting.

My best advice is to listen to the wise men who have tried to steer you in the right direction.

GB, Papagallos & others are giving you good advice, you just don't need the magnification unless you are shooting benchrest close in.

I bought couple 12-42's NF, and they are great for seeing just how accurate your stick can be @ 100 yds. You really can shoot a fly if you want. Once
I got out in the real world, I found they are useless above 16X, with mirage magnified. You know -
"my targets here or maybe its 5 meters left, wait wait, it's over there"... mirage...
Maybe you could use the magnification if there is no humidity or mirage where you shoot.

You need a 5.5X 22 X56 NXS.

I have shot couple time beside a guy who murders steel at 1200 yds w 12X scope.

You could always buy one, try it and sell; they hold their value.

Good luck.

I have a sightron SIII 10-50. At 100 yards off a bench the reticle bounces no matter what I try on 50x, at 20x its not as noticable. My groups are about the same no matter the magnification. At 500 yards the mirage is unbearable. It is a spotting scope on a rifle, which is nearly useless. My next scope will be a NF.

+1 fer the NXS 5.5x22, love mine. I had the NF 12x42, on perfect days it was awesome, on sunny warm days at 42x the mirage was so bad it would make you through up. Also, the 5.5x22 has much more elevation it, another plus.

I too like high magnification, but it has extremely limited use. If you can shoot often with low mirage then I think more magnification is useful.