• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Under-powered 7WSM load... recommendations?

ZLBubba

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
Maryland
I've been using a fairly tame load for my 7WSM. I've got 180 Hybrid VLDs over 69.8gr of Retumbo is Winchester cases. My rifle's got a 22" barrel. Even though the barrel is a couple inches shorter than most 7WSMs, the speed is still below what I thought I'd be getting.

Today, for instance, the loads seemed to be averaging around 2750 fps. At 69.9gr of Retumbo, my load is compressed though my brass isn't showing pressure signs. Since most people are getting 2900 to 3000 loads in 24" barrels, I figured it's time to move to a different powder. I'm leaning toward H1000 right now.

What powders are you using in your 7WSMs? What kind of speed are you seeing out of your barrels? Thanks for your help.

Re: Under-powered 7WSM load... recommendations?

I suspect Retumbo is too slow for you.

I'd try H4831/H4831sc.

With my 7wsm, I get more velocity with less grains of powder when I switched from Retumbo to H1000.

I'm getting 2947fps with 64.5gr of H1000 out of a 28" barrel, if that helps you with a reference point.

Yeah, it looks like Retumbo isn't going to cut it for me. Outside of H1000 and H4831, are there any other powders worth a look with the 7WSM?

It looks like I've got a lot of options to work with. My Retumbo load is plenty accurate, just about 150 fps off of where I'd like to be, though it still shoots a hell of a lot flatter than my 308 at 1k.