• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Understanding FoV and Eye Box

littlepod

Minuteman
  • Oct 16, 2012
    Kirkland, WA
    instagram.com
    Stupid marksmanship question / newbie scope question. When people talk about field of view that means how much surrounding environment a scope sees at a certain magnification? Is that correct?

So for my mil based scope, if the lines go out to 6.5 mils @ 30x on each side, then I'm seeing 13mils of view @ 30x. So if every mil is 3.6" at 100 yards, then I'm equivalently seeing

3.6" * 13 = 46.8" = 3.9 feet @ 30x @ 100 yards.

So basically every scope I get behind, just dial to the mag and count the mils and that'll compare the FoV @ a certain magnification.

For eye box testing, it seems kind of subjective when I have 3-4 scopes just sitting on a rail and I'm just bobbing my head around them. Is there a more scientific way of testing it?

Thanks!

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    Watching a video of NX8, I saw that @ 32x, the visible mils was 13.

They posted 32x: 4.6 ft/1.5 m, but based on what I measured, it should only be 3.9 ft. So it looks like significantly over reporting. 3.9 ft @ 32x is still pretty darn nice.

1596728368658.png

Stupid marksmanship question / newbie scope question. When people talk about field of view that means how much surrounding environment a scope sees at a certain magnification? Is that correct?

So for my mil based scope, if the lines go out to 6.5 mils @ 30x on each side, then I'm seeing 13mils of view @ 30x. So if every mil is 3.6" at 100 yards, then I'm equivalently seeing

3.6" * 13 = 46.8" = 3.9 feet @ 30x @ 100 yards.

So basically every scope I get behind, just dial to the mag and count the mils and that'll compare the FoV @ a certain magnification.

For eye box testing, it seems kind of subjective when I have 3-4 scopes just sitting on a rail and I'm just bobbing my head around them. Is there a more scientific way of testing it?

Thanks!
    Watch this and follow his direction:

First 40 seconds of that video are really nice. The rest mostly explains how to compensate for Leupold's eyerelief changing with magnification.

ILya

The rest mostly explains how to compensate for Leupold's eyerelief changing with magnification.

ILya

When you say "to compensate for Leupold's eyerelief changing with magnification". Is this something that is only a characteristic of Leupold scopes, or do all scopes require you to compensate for the changing eye relief. Maybe some manufacturers are bit more forgiving than others?

Seems like most scopes use similar means of magnification but based on design or quality of the glass used might be better than others.

When you say "to compensate for Leupold's eyerelief changing with magnification". Is this something that is only a characteristic of Leupold scopes, or do all scopes require you to compensate for the changing eye relief. Maybe some manufacturers are bit more forgiving than others?

Seems like most scopes use similar means of magnification but based on design or quality of the glass used might be better than others.

Some do and some don't. Eye relief gets tighter with increased magnification for virtually all scopes, but the changes in eye relief carry between products.

Older Leupold are famous for being pretend bad at this, but better ones are better.

I just found it amusing how focused they were on working around the issue.

ILya

Reactions: ZG47A