• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Until there are consequences, Boycott Walmart -- China's poodle

I grew up in the city in Ohio. We had Murphy's Mart, Montgomery Ward, Woolworth's, Hill's, K-Mart, Sear's and Penny's in the 70's and 80's. In the late 80's I came to Norfolk, we had them and Rose's. Slowly Walmart nd Target came in as the new stores. 30 years of mismanagement killed most of the big chains.

Sear's should have become Amazon, the biggest catalog store in the world missed the internet. K-Mart got out of bankruptcy when they bought a bankrupt Sear's because Sear's was worth more in real estate than they were as a business. Montgomery Wards and Woolworth were losing money to Sear's and Penny's. Oh, Toy's R Us, I bet you think I forgot about them. They had more Chinese made knock off brands than real brands, not to mention over expanding to Baby's R US and Kid's R Us to try to corner a market in clothes and furniture.

There aren't many Mom and Pop shops left but how many rifles on this forum and the ammo for them comes out of the local Mom and Pop?

Bezos was able to convince deep pocket investors to intentionally endure massive losses for an indeterminate period of time in order to corner the online retail market years down the road. It worked, but only because of his virtually unlimited financial backing.

Amazon had to be a new company. Doubtful shareholders of an existing company would go for a strategy like that.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I guess Forbes makes shit up.
The above was a list of things I've witnessed.
Whether or not it is defending him or not has no bearing on the veracity.
Deflection isn't a successful tactic, as you also are resorting to insult the hilarity
of you calling me a liberal is ironic.
You also glazed over other points you can't refute.
In short, laughing.

R
I didn't call you a liberal. Go back and read again, slowly.

I grew up in the city in Ohio. We had Murphy's Mart, Montgomery Ward, Woolworth's, Hill's, K-Mart, Sear's and Penny's in the 70's and 80's. In the late 80's I came to Norfolk, we had them and Rose's. Slowly Walmart nd Target came in as the new stores. 30 years of mismanagement killed most of the big chains.

Sear's should have become Amazon, the biggest catalog store in the world missed the internet. K-Mart got out of bankruptcy when they bought a bankrupt Sear's because Sear's was worth more in real estate than they were as a business. Montgomery Wards and Woolworth were losing money to Sear's and Penny's. Oh, Toy's R Us, I bet you think I forgot about them. They had more Chinese made knock off brands than real brands, not to mention over expanding to Baby's R US and Kid's R Us to try to corner a market in clothes and furniture.

There aren't many Mom and Pop shops left but how many rifles on this forum and the ammo for them comes out of the local Mom and Pop?
Almost all of them.

Sirhr

I hate shopping there, and I’d love to support my local Piggly Wiggly, but the quality of meat is actually superior at my nearest WM/Sams, and PW’s meat packaging is pretty terrible as well. The other near grocery store is Publix, and if I shopped there it’d drive my grocery budget up significantly.

It sucks either way.

I’m in manufacturing, have been for years, so the whole ‘buy American’ means a lot to me. It isn’t complicated, do what you can, with what you have.

That said, as we approach spicy time, boycotts are a moot point.

Bezos was able to convince deep pocket investors to intentionally endure massive losses for an indeterminate period of time in order to corner the online retail market years down the road. It worked, but only because of his virtually unlimited financial backing.

Amazon had to be a new company. Doubtful shareholders of an existing company would go for a strategy like that.
Amazon started of as a website for brick and mortar used book and used music stores to sell online. He got a cut from the vendor. Same plan 20 years later with a lot more vendors and a lot more customers.

When Sear's started "on line" orders you needed to reference the paper catalog to fill out the form on the website. Other websites were already point and click, you have to wonder if Sear's either didn't want to spend the capital to digitize their catalog or thought it was a passing fad?

Does GAP count as a local Mom & Pop?
Depends, does your FFL make a cut or do they get a $35.00 transfer fee? Nothing against shopping online, but we all split purchases to get the best deal. I'm lucky that I have a small fairly active online vendor that has good walk in ammo prices. Of course 25 years ago he started with a table at local gunshows. I have another shop that I have been in three times in 30 years.

Been boycotting Wal-Mart for 30 years since they came to Canada and put my father out of work taking over all the Woolworth warehouses and hiring pirates to work for peanuts.

Several decades ago, I traveled all over TX, OK, LA, NM, KS, MO building Wal-Mart stores. It was a good job that paid me very well. Then we built a store in my Grandparents home town. A year later and the Otasco store was gone as were most of the little shops downtown. There was a man I knew at the Otasco who had raised a family of 4 and put 3 of them through college with the job he had. They paid decent and had insurance and such. Wal-Mart hired about half that little town but not one single person made more than minimum wage nor worked more htan 30 hours a week.
My Granddad cried foul and told me all about it. I really had my eyes opened to economics at that point. This same old man told me, when Nixon went to China, that the Chinese and other Asian nations had a generational plan when we couldn't even make a plan for 4 years at a time. He admonished me to avoid buying stuff made in China and to try my best to help keep the lights on in locally owned businesses.

Amazon started of as a website for brick and mortar used book and used music stores to sell online. He got a cut from the vendor. Same plan 20 years later with a lot more vendors and a lot more customers.

When Sear's started "on line" orders you needed to reference the paper catalog to fill out the form on the website. Other websites were already point and click, you have to wonder if Sear's either didn't want to spend the capital to digitize their catalog or thought it was a passing fad?

I actually wrote a 40 page paper on the changing landscape of retail business that was primarily focused on Amazon and the decline of big box retailers like JCPenny and Sears. Non e of it was original though though. It was all regurgitated information from various other OP-ED pieces and a handful of economics books. Typical college half-assery. I do remember a couple of things though.

The most baffling aspect was Bezos' ability to raise capital. The guy had a small book store and was able to raise about $1m in capital for 1% of the company when he started. This was all from accredited investors, since he wasn't publicly listed on any SEC regulated exchanges. He was up front about enduring massive losses for an extended period of time and basically pulled a valuation for the business out of ass since nothing comparable existed at the time. And he sold it.

Make no mistake... Bezos is one in a billion. He's the kind of dude that could make a fortune selling ketchup popsicles to women in white gloves in the summertime.

Depends, does your FFL make a cut or do they get a $35.00 transfer fee? Nothing against shopping online, but we all split purchases to get the best deal. I'm lucky that I have a small fairly active online vendor that has good walk in ammo prices. Of course 25 years ago he started with a table at local gunshows. I have another shop that I have been in three times in 30 years.

I have a number of handguns I purchased from online vendors. Whenever I'm looking for something, first stop is LGS. Unless it's a S&W, Springfield or Glock, "I can get one at this price." To the net, find one for (last instance was almost 1K less) $$$ and order. Pay LGS $25 to transfer.

I understand lots of locals aren't large enough to be "master dealers" for WC, NH and others, and I don't mind paying a (small) premium to buy local, but I have to draw the line when the difference is a month's worth of groceries.

Same for automobiles.

Walmart is no different than Dollar General or Family Dollar.

They have nothing to offer other than cheap Chinese shit and fuck all of them.

I've seen Walmarts put the local grocer out of business and hold no grudges against anyone for shopping there.

Especially when it comes to food.

Most of the food in your grocery store, whether it's Walmart, Publix or the local guy that's been in business for thirty years sell items that are made/grown in the US of A, with the exception of produce as a lot of that comes from South of the border. But you'll find that anywhere.

Cant believe old man Sam Walton, the guy that continued to meet his buddies for breakfast in the diner after hitting it big, would go for what Walmart has become.
He wouldn't go for what walchinamart has become. He used to come into the store I worked at unannounced, in overalls, beat up old farmers hat.
Stock shares, discounts, and customer service back then, at least at our store.

Now, after putting tens of thouands of mom/pop businesses out on the street, it's just another vendor to sell china goods.

Walmart is no different than Dollar General or Family Dollar.

They have nothing to offer other than cheap Chinese shit and fuck all of them.

I've seen Walmarts put the local grocer out of business and hold no grudges against anyone for shopping there.

Especially when it comes to food.

Most of the food in your grocery store, whether it's Walmart, Publix or the local guy that's been in business for thirty years sell items that are made/grown in the US of A, with the exception of produce as a lot of that comes from South of the border. But you'll find that anywhere.

Read what they do to suppliers.....

Classic example Vlasic pickles.

Suck the supplier into servicing that big lucrative WalMart contract until your total production is allotted to them than start cutting their profit to the point they can no longer function and they no longer have other customers to service....than laugh at them when the request relief.

Read what they do to suppliers.....

Classic example Vlasic pickles.

Suck the supplier into servicing that big lucrative WalMart contract until your total production is allotted to them than start cutting their profit to the point they can no longer function and they no longer have other customers to service....than laugh at them when the request relief.
Most grocery chains behave in the same manner. I am not an insider, but I believe the term is called "merchandising". The stores essentially rent out shelf space to the food manufacturers/distributors/jobbers and if the suppliers don't like being bent over on the "rent", they are encoureaged to leave and never come back. Around these parts, the only people that you will find stocking the potato chip shelves are wearing shirts/uniforms that say "Frito Lay" (or their competitor's name) on them. The stores don't dirty their hands with that nonsense. Yes, the store personnel will stock the meat section and the baked goods, but that is because the stores own those assets, either on site or remotely located.