• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Update on Applied Ballistics Kestrel model and Horus Kestrel

Kestrel 4500NV Applied Ballistics Meters are now in stock and shipping from kestrelmeters.com (http://www.kestrelmeters.com/products/kestrel-4500nv-applied-ballistics-meter) and likely other retailers as well.

The Horus (Kestrel 4500NV Horus ATrag Ballistics | Shooting Wind Meter) and Applied Ballistics meters are separate units, and you will NOT be able to load the Applied Ballistics software on to the Horus of vice versa.

What's the difference between the Applied Ballistics and the Horus version?

The main differences between the two models is The Applied Ballistics model has a different truing application with drop scale factor, it has bullet length as a standard gun input (used to calculate spin drift) offers +\- angle input and has the ability to use G1,G7 and custom drag profiles. The unit comes Pre loaded with 7 custom curves, and the Gun loader will have over 100 custom drag profiles to use. These will NOT be able to be manually added, they must be done through the software... So you'll either need the bluetooth or the USB interface.

Learn more:

KestrelMeters.com - Kestrel Shooters Weather Meter with Applied Ballistics
KestrelMeters.com - Kestrel HVK Gun Loader Sofware
KestrelMeters.com - Snipers And Their Shooting Computers

We are looking for feedback on the Horus and Applied Ballistics meters, if you have experience with either and are willing send us your thoughts, we will provide you a 5% coupon code for your n ext order, just email it to [email protected]

Well I called the hub to find out where my Feb preorder was. I was told the dude was out til next Monday. WTF

Anyone know where these are in stock?

I ordered mine directly from Applied Ballistics and the box arrived yesterday.

Can't wait for the weekend to run it through its paces.

Ya, Pre-Order people definitely got left behind.

I thought the purpose of a per-order was to be first in line, not watch everyone on FaceBook get them before you do.

I'm with you on this one LL, my old Horus model broke due to corrosion and I traded up for the new one with the AB software several months ago. Not sure why I don't have mine yet either.

Hell, I ordered a Book, yes a book that was in stock when I placed my order, over a week ago and I still haven't received it yet. I think they are having some serious shipping issues at the moment with all the orders.

Those customers that placed orders with Blackhawk Precision, Applied Ballistics LLC, Applied Ballistics Inc, or KestrelMeters.com probably received their units before other users because these orders were first to ship. These companies placed huge orders at SHOT show and they were the orders first built and shipped. I'm still working on getting more information to assist everyone.

Chris

Thanks for the help Chris. I actually got the call today, and it shipped out. I understand that the others came first considering they ordered in Jan.

I got an email yesterday from Kestral (that was picked up by my spam filter, so check yours if you are waiting for one) asking me to confirm my payment information for an order from the pre-order.

Ordered mine on July 29 from Midway and received it August 1. Haven't been able to shoot since getting it but plan to try it out next weekend.

I was told I would be able to upgrade my Horus Kestrel to the AB model for a fee -does anyone have a link or info for this?

I had purchased my Kestrel about a week before the AB model was announced....

Ya, UPS Lady arrived

970888_10151841430257953_235145799_n.jpg

Was kinda expecting some computer software to move things around, but I think that might with something else, I have to read it. I had heard guys were building on a computer and moving to the Kestrel ?

Anyone know about that part

Thanks

That is the Bluetooth model,

Do you know the specs for loading the software as there is nothing there I see ? I heard guys are running it on a Samsung Tablet ? Is it windows 8, something else ?

It would be nice have an idea of what the best set up is to get the most out of it.

I think you are gtg with any windows platform. We mac people get the shaft including iOS apps. I've read Apple implements a different standard of Bluetooth or something like that.

Wonder if a jailbroken iPhone/Ipad will work.....pointless if not as all my products are Mac.

I am totally Mac as well, but I have a PC Laptop for this stuff that I use... however I was told guys were using a tablet of some type, so I was wondering if a cheap Windows Tablet would be worth it to bring out and move around with

For all you mac guys, there's no system out there that runs windows better than a Mac. With VMware you an run both operating systems simultaneously. I do for instances like this.

I also think its BS that certain features can only be used if the Kestrel is connected to its software on a computer. It's no big deal as I have the Bluetooth model, but I'd be pissed off if I learned my unit was handicapped until I bought the $100 serial cable. On the plus side, I appreciate the Duracell Lithium batteries my unit shipped with. The battery wedge is a pretty sloppy afterthought, but its better than dealing with rattling batteries and a compass that potentially gives inaccurate readings.

Last edited:
For all you mac guys, there's no system out there that runs windows better than a Mac. With VMware you an run both operating systems simultaneously. I do for instances like this.

I also think its BS that certain features can only be used if the Kestrel is connected to its software on a computer. It's no big deal as I have the Bluetooth model, but I'd be pissed off if I learned my unit was handicapped until I bought the $100 serial cable. On the plus side, I appreciate the Duracell Lithium batteries my unit shipped with. The battery wedge is a pretty sloppy afterthought, but its better than dealing with rattling batteries and a compass that potentially gives inaccurate readings.

Dang, you got Lithium batteries? Mine came with Alkaline.

I am totally Mac as well, but I have a PC Laptop for this stuff that I use... however I was told guys were using a tablet of some type, so I was wondering if a cheap Windows Tablet would be worth it to bring out and move around with

You need to download the zipped AB Loader software from the NK site and then install it on a Windows PC: Kestrel Weather & Environmental Meters

It's a pretty basic interface. Most of the work gets done on the Kestrel, there's quite a lot to navigate through.

You need to download the zipped AB Loader software from the NK site and then install it on a Windows PC: Kestrel Weather & Environmental Meters

It's a pretty basic interface. Most of the work gets done on the Kestrel, there's quite a lot to navigate through.

Thanks Capt Obvious, we got that part, I wanted to know about a Windows Tablet as I have been hearing about people using them, it would be nice to see or read about the optimal set up for moving things back and forth

i have the bluetooth version, and I am not too interested in working strictly off the Kestrel, it's meant to work on the computer and then move what is necessary to the Kestrel

Ill ask the hub what Litz and others recommend.

Thanks again to everyone for being flexible and patient in the AB kestrel release.

I assure you that Litz and others have put a ton of work into the ballistic program and custom drag curves to give shooters a highly accurate solution.

Please post any reviews both good and bad on the hide so we can asses any errors.

Ill ask the hub what Litz and others recommend.

Thanks again to everyone for being flexible and patient in the AB kestrel release.

I assure you that Litz and others have put a ton of work into the ballistic program and custom drag curves to give shooters a highly accurate solution.

Please post any reviews both good and bad on the hide so we can asses any errors.

Please let us know once you find out.

Need to find out if my jail broken apple stuff is going to work or if I need to do like Frank and find some type of cheap windows tablet.

Talked to the wife a few days ago she says "you got a package from...something ballistics??"...I had to laugh and then realized I won't be home to use it till this fall :(
The real bad part was the week prior when she opened the two different invoices that came separate from some scopes, which of course show the price of: 2x ERS H59 and 1x MK6 1-6CMRW...Needless to say she was pretty hot over that...Stupid invoices

Hopefully some of you can comment on the performance of the AB version to tide me over.

I have no idea how you guys can stand using a Windows PC...

Download zip file, extract, lose extraction, find zip file again, change extraction location, Install, Open, Crash, oh wait the fancy laptop has no Bluetooth, hold on, I have an old USB Bluetooth device, wait for Windows to find drivers, found drivers, load drivers, reset, load program, empty com port, restart program, crash program, restart program, crash program, find Bluetooth device in Hardware, load Bluetooth device again, pair Kestrel, pair Kestrel again with Pin, load program, change com port, Finally, Connected.. Load Round, Save Round, move round to Kestrel, Upload Round to Kestrel, Ya Success...

After all that bullshit, I am taking a trip to Best Buy, finding a Windows Tablet with Bluetooth so I can skip all this BS...

Now I have to read the instruction as I am not sure how he (Litz) does some stuff here, but otherwise it is looking straight forward.

One little thing, I saw you can have more than one entry active at a time... So I went back and made sure only the one I wanted was turned on. Having more than one on at a time seems odd, but maybe I am not understanding it right.

Man, I totally don't miss using a Windoze computer, it's friggin torture

Lowlight said:
After all that bullshit, I am taking a trip to Best Buy, finding a Windows Tablet with Bluetooth so I can skip all this BS...

make sure you take your kestrel with you to make sure they all talk to one another when you make that trip.

I have no idea how you guys can stand using a Windows PC...

Download zip file, extract, lose extraction, find zip file again, change extraction location, Install, Open, Crash, oh wait the fancy laptop has no Bluetooth, hold on, I have an old USB Bluetooth device, wait for Windows to find drivers, found drivers, load drivers, reset, load program, empty com port, restart program, crash program, restart program, crash program, find Bluetooth device in Hardware, load Bluetooth device again, pair Kestrel, pair Kestrel again with Pin, load program, change com port, Finally, Connected.. Load Round, Save Round, move round to Kestrel, Upload Round to Kestrel, Ya Success...

Now I have to read the instruction as I am not sure how he (Litz) does some stuff here, but otherwise it is looking straight forward.

One little thing, I saw you can have more than one entry active at a time... So I went back and made sure only the one I wanted was turned on. Having more than one on at a time seems odd, but maybe I am not understanding it right.

Man, I totally don't miss using a Windoze computer, it's friggin torture

You echo my exact thoughts,

Let me know what tablet you choose cause I'm in the same boat.

Im am Mac user as well, not by choice but because that is what my work has always provided so it never made sense to spend more money on something else. So now i need to get something different that will run AB software, So forgive my ignorance but is a droid table like a samsung Galaxy Tab or Note a windows based tablet? Or does it actually have to be windows tablet?

How are these working out now that folks are getting windows tablets to go with them?

Applied Ballistics Pre-Orders

Kestrel Weather & Environmental Meters is proud to announce that all Kestrel Shooter’s Weather Meters with Applied Ballistics pre-orders have been manufactured and shipped from our facilities. We would like to thank all of our customers for their continued patience while we addressed the issue reports and suggestions of our testers, and caught up with the backlog demand for this product. While we did our best to prioritize our shipments fairly, we did hit a few bumps along the way and apologize to any of our customers who did not receive 100% satisfaction with the shipment of their order in a timely manner. Please note that we sell through a large network of Kestrel dealers each of whom are working to take care of their customers, and we do our best to make sure that all of our customers are completely satisfied. We look forward to continuing to serve the needs of the long-range shooting community and the success of our relationship with the Applied Ballistics team!

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us directly at 1-800-784-4221. As always, we appreciate your patience and patronage.

With Best Regards,
Tommy Loomis
Kestrel

updated/corrected feedback to share. i received mine from allkestrel.com last friday. i have a windows laptop at work with blue tooth so i had no system or setup issues. I downloaded both programs, installed same and went from there. the manual that came with my new kestrel was very good when it explained how to use the kestrel but was thin in explaining the mechanics how the two programs worked together and how to get your data from your pc onto the kestrel, ie: creating new guns, using custom drag curves and how to get all of that actually loaded onto the kestrel. it took me a few hours to sort it out but now all is working great. a few tips for new users:
1. to use the ab profile loader, you DO NOT have to have the kestrel communicator software open on your desktop at the same time that you have the ab profile loader open on your desktop...you can use the ab profile loader independently of the kestrel communicator...however seems you can only connect with one program at a time ie: if you are connected with the ab profiler you cannot simultaneously connect with the k communicator program.
2. best to set your kestrel bluetooth range to high, at the mid level it dropped (a few times) the blue tooth connection when the kestrel was 1 foot from my laptop,
3. make sure you get your pc to recognize your kestrel bluetooth before you do anything else after software install,
4. make sure the bluetooth setting is set to "on" in the kestrel before you try to use the dowloaded software or get your pc to recognize it (again sounds obvious but i had to go through screens to find the on/off setting),
5. after you open the ab profile loader and connect the bluetooth kestrel to your pc, make sure you click on "connect" in the upper right hand corner of the ab profile loader software and see the red light turn green, then you are aready to go,
6. remember that whenever you upload a gun or gun list from the pc to the kestrel the software will first erase all guns already loaded on your kestrel,
some of these steps may seem intuitive but as the sequence was not explained in detail in the manual it took me a few hours of fooling around before i got it all sorted out. the good news is that the custom curves for 5 guns are on my kestrel and do track much more closely to my actual recorded data across 5 guns then either the g1 or g7 profiles did so it seems this was worth the investment. looking forward to testing it out on the range tomorrow...

Last edited:
Communicator

i have some user feedback to share. i received mine from allkestrel.com last friday. i have a windows laptop at work with blue tooth so i had no system or setup issues. I downloaded both programs, installed same and went from there. the manual that came with my new kestrel was very good when it explained how to use the kestrel but was thin in explaining the mechanics how the two programs worked together and how to get your data from your pc onto the kestrel, ie: creating new guns, using custom drag curves and how to get all of that actually loaded onto the kestrel. it took me a few hours to sort it out but now all is working great. a few tips for new users:
1. you have to have the kestrel communicator software open on your desktop at the same time as you have the ab profile loader open on your desktop (both must be running simultaneously-sounds obvious but it wasnt),
2. best to set your kestrel bluetooth range to high, at the mid level it dropped (a few times) the blue tooth connection when the kestrel was 1 foot from my laptop,
3. make sure you get your pc to recognize your kestrel bluetooth before you do anything else after software install,
4. make sure the bluetooth setting is set to "on" in the kestrel before you try to use the dowloaded software or get your pc to recognize it (again sounds obvious but i had to go through screens to find the on/off setting),
5. after you open both programs, connect the bluetooth kestrel to your pc, make sure you click on "connect" in the upper right hand corner of the ab profile loader software and see the red light turn green, then you are aready to go,
6. remember that whenever you upload a gun or gun list from the pc to the kestrel the software will first erase all guns already loaded on your kestrel,
some of these steps may seem intuitive but as the sequence was not explained in detail in the manual it took me a few hours of fooling around before i got it all sorted out. the good news is that the custom curves for 5 guns are on my kestrel and do track much more closely to my actual recorded data across 5 guns then either the g1 or g7 profiles did so it seems this was worth the investment. looking forward to testing it out on the range tomorrow...

You do not need to have Kestrel Communicator running in order to use the AB Profile Loader software. These programs are independent of one another and if you had issues because of this, I would like to hear about it so that I can understand what issue you were seeing. Please email me at [email protected] Thanks.

i just emailed with Joe Racosky (very quick replies/responsiveness)(Advanced Technical and Customer Support Engineering
Nielsen-Kellerman) and he advised:
"After talking it over with our team here, it appears that this issue is just the inherent nature of the COM port hardware and I will just need to do a better job of relaying that information to the customer. I will have to add it to the instructions and such. I am looking to get a “Connect / Disconnect” button added to Communicator GUI so that you don’t have to close the program down in order to connect to the Profile Loader. Profile Loader already has this so you can hit Disconnect without closing the program in order to connect to Communicator. If you can let people on Sniper’s Hide know, I would greatly appreciate it."

I'll relay all responses to Joe and the NK team as such the case above. It's my role with NK and I've been actively involved here and as a sniper since 2007.

Kestrel appriciates ALL feedback both good and bad and will assist in every way to make the shooter happy.

Please let us know how your AB kestrels are treating you on the range!

Is there, or can we get the first post in this tread to list the most current versions of FIRMWARE/SOFTWARE/etc...