• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes upper tier scope construction: what is given up in lightweight scopes?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    When comparing higher end scope construction, what makes a lighter scope lighter? What parts/components/assembly is ommitted? For example; AMG 6-24 vs. ATACR 5-25. Is the NF any more rugged/ durable due to construction, or is that a fallacy?

Seen the insides of lots of scopes.

The higher end ones usually had the following going for them:

1. More lenses.
    2. Thicker tube/critical bits.
    3. And very much so a thing for reliability - big tough turret mechanisms.

If you pound on a #10-32 screw with a 5lb sledgehammer how likely is it you will get it to strip the threads? Very.

Try that with a 1” bolt and you probably won’t get anything.

Harleys are made of pig iron and steel and are stupid heavy giving up performance.
    Ducatis are built of alloys and are light as hell and give up nothing on strength but perform far better than most.

Hope this helps.

Seen the insides of lots of scopes.

The higher end ones usually had the following going for them:

1. More lenses.
    2. Thicker tube/critical bits.
    3. And very much so a thing for reliability - big tough turret mechanisms.

If you pound on a #10-32 screw with a 5lb sledgehammer how likely is it you will get it to strip the threads? Very.

Try that with a 1” bolt and you probably won’t get anything.
    Im asking about 2 high end scopes with very different weights, not a heavy expensive scope vs a cheap light scope.

Im asking about 2 high end scopes with very different weights, not a heavy expensive scope vs a cheap light scope.
    Only their manufacturers know for sure and I bet they won't be explaining publicly what is likely proprietary information.

Weight difference you see between the AMG and ATACR...the AMG is a 30mm tube....NF is a 34mm tube...NF is known to run thicker tubes as well for durability...also you are increasing the weight of the optical system inside just a bit...this is the same trend with Steiner, S&B, ZCO and others...

There are a lot of oz chaser ninjas out there...I particularly do not pay attention too much once I step into high mag optics...I care more about capability and its ability to withstand my SCAR 20...

Reactions: 308pirate