• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

US Army Squad Designated Marksman rifle...

nf9648

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2005
God's Country
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Squad_Designated_Marksman_Rifle

Was torn between this and the MK 12 Mod 0 SPR for a couple years, I finally committed and finished the rifle this month. Took it out for zero on Friday and worked on my speed transitioning from steel targets at random distances between 200m and 440m from both prone supported (my range bag) and from the seated position (not from the bench.) Heres the specs on my take of this rifle...

LMT lower
CMT lower parts kit
Geissele SSA trigger
Bravo Company upper
LMT bolt carrier assy
Compass Lake Engineering cut and fluted 1/7 twist Douglas barrel, finished by Superior Barrels
Daniel Defense M4 12.0 handguard
White Oak Armament F marked FSB, set screw adjustable for windage
Matech rear sight
TA31RCO M150 ACOG

DSC02460.jpg

DSC02573.jpg

DSC02571.jpg

DSC04582.jpg

Re: US Army Squad Designated Marksman rifle...

I thought the BDC would be off since it is labeled under the reticle as RCO-M4 instead of A4 like I wanted, but with 75 gr Hornady OTM handloads it was pretty much on the money out to the 440m. I zeroed the irons @ 50 first with the matech centered and front sight post flush, first 5 rounds were POA, POI. I removed and blue loctited each FSB setscrew and verified zero with another 5 rounds, then went onto the ACOG. It took me about 10 rounds to find where my rounds were hitting in relation to my point of aim, after I had it the ACOG was dialed in with another 10 rounds and I was going after steel from there. I had a few hiccups initially with a couple handloads (I loaded 10 rounds with a borrowed full length die since breaking a decap pin in my set) rounds were too long and getting stuck when fed from the magazine. After a couple trips to the RO booth for tools to knock the bolt back I switched to commercial ammo and my handloads that I sized with my own dies and had no issues after that. My only gripe is that I didnt take enough ammo, I got about 30 rounds of randomly switching targets ranging between 200-250, 300-350, and 440 as fast as I could within range limitations (5 rounds a mag, no faster than 1 round a second) before I was dry and done for the day. When I can get it out to the pop-up range on Schofield Ill post up more on how it shoots when hot and dirty.

Nice rifle, Im assuming thats an 18" barrel. I wanted to post mine but dont know how to post pics. Could you walk me through it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoveSPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle, Im assuming thats an 18" barrel. I wanted to post mine but dont know how to post pics. Could you walk me through it? </div></div>Its a 20" tube, pretty much identical to the untrained Iraqi eye as any other M16A4 in a squad. This rifle shouldnt get you singled out by Juba. For posting pics, follow the link above, I use photobucket.

Very nice, good luck with it.

Nice build!

I had the same dilemma tryingto decide on which one to build also.

I went with the Larue 13.2" rail to cover the gas block because I decided to go with BUIS (Troy Ind) instead of the Front sight post/gas block. Also added the Advanced Armament Vetrical Grip and Harris Bipod.
It wears a WOA bbl (1:7)
Trijicon Acog TA01 NSN Optic w/ Larue Acog Mount

Heres my build:

445.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">These are the new Bravo co. SAM-R bbl's (20").
I think they listed them for $399.00.
You could also get them Ion-Bonded in black for an extra $60
Will be trying one of these out on my next build.</span>

BCM-SS410-SAMR20BRL202-2.jpg

BCM-SS410-SAMR20BRL202-3.jpg

content_round.php

Very nice builds. For now I'm playing with a Colt lower with a Colt M16 upper. Glass is TA50-4 3.5X compact. This was five shots at 600 yards. Not going to make a target shooter jealous but ....functional.