• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

USMC Scout Swimmers...anyone? anyone?

dunnfer

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2011
NorCal
Seriously. This was (maybe still is?) a real program. Got the books and certificate to remind me. Anybody else ever go thru this training?
I went thru in Okinawa 1996? maybe 97
Brutal training, countless hours in the water. would love to swap stories or link up with anybody who went thru it. Especially anybody from 1/7 in the 90's. I know a bunch of those guys ended up in SS platoons.

Re: USMC Scout Swimmers...anyone? anyone?

No idea but curious as to what it involved. Was this an open circuit dive course or strictly smimming?

I was a scout swimmer,

It's not a merit badge, or anything else. It's just an element of an overall job that picks an individual who is designed to do it. It's all part of the same training, just you go first.

You carry the line across a river, you exit the zodiac first to hit the beach. But since I went to ARS it was a natural thing for me.

Its just like going to Bridgeport and you getting picked to be the Assualt climber, really it just means you go up the mountain first to set the lines.

I don't recall any special designation. No ribbon, patch, or anything of the sort. Although it may very well be a course now, it wasn't then.

Still had the school back in 03. Probably still do, don't see why not.

I know it was a course run by SOTG, just like Assault Climbers or Urban Sniper. Part of the MEU(SOC) work-ups. I didn't go through myself but I sent Marines from my platoon a few times.

Nope no merit badges, unfortunately. And No MOS designation either. It was run by Special Ops Training group and maybe 4-6 weeks? Shitloads of water time, and some classroom instruction. It was mostly designed around beach assaults. Swimmers would launch from zodiacs about a mile or so out, mostly at night, and swim in teams of 2 towards the beach. Supposed to take out any security at the beach landing site, mark any obstacles with Infra-red markers and create a safe landing zone for the assault team. Of course, in 96 there was no chance of ever using those skills. Sure was fun though. I wish my tubby ass could still swim like that.

I swam on the Ft Devens US Army swim team does that count? LOL

We beat out 10th SFG too!