• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Utah designates M1911 official state firearm

msrtex

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2006
Central, Missouri
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12792633

Utah has become the first US state to designate an official state firearm.

The Browning M1911 joins the state fossil (allosaurus), fruit (cherry), gem (topaz), bird (sea gull) and other symbols with official designation.

The gun was designed by Utah native John Browning. The law's sponsor said it symbolised freedom and empowerment.

Opponents said it was inappropriate to glorify a firearm, citing the January mass shooting at a congresswoman's constituent event in nearby Arizona.

The .45-calibre semi-automatic pistol was designed by Browning, who was born in Utah in 1855, to fill the US military's need for a pistol with stopping power - the ability to fell an enemy with a single shot.

It was adopted by the US Army in 1911, and first saw action in combat with Mexican rebel leader Pancho Villa in 1916, according to the Browning Arms Company. It was later used in World War I and beyond.

Democratic Utah State Representative Brian King opposed the bill.

"When we are talking about a state symbol we would do well to come up with one that is more unifying than divisive and this is a very divisive symbol for obvious reasons," he told Reuters. "This is just a poor choice for a state symbol."
Edit/Delete Message

Re: Utah designates M1911 official state firearm

i did hear something while this was getting debated from I think it was Gun Digest. Some of the anti-gun groups were up in arms (pun intended) over the fact that it was a gun.

JMC

That is great, NC has a state drink...MILK.
Should be Moonshine...but what do politicians know!

Brian King. Obviously a Glock guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dinc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Brian King. Obviously a Glock guy. </div></div>

"Democratic Utah State Representative Brian King opposed the bill.

"When we are talking about a state symbol we would do well to come up with one that is more unifying than divisive and this is a very divisive symbol for obvious reasons," he told Reuters. "This is just a poor choice for a state symbol.""

The wailing of eunuchs.

go utah, knew i liked that state

Good for Utah. A state with some beautiful women adopts my favorite pistol design. I wonder if they'll have the pistol equivalent of Flag Day?
grin.gif