• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Utah Does the state tax military retirement?

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2007
Glacier Valley Alaska
Wife now informs me she wants to move closer to the grandbabbies and a move in the future may happen to the SLC area.

What are the taxes like?

Does the state tax military retirement?

How much open public land for long range shooting?

Re: Utah Does the state tax military retirement?

If you move near SLC, theres plenty of places to shoot. Several good indoor ranges, several great gun shops (cough... impact)

And most of all, if you drive anywhere west/south of the lake, you can shoot all you want.

I take I-15 south from Hill AFB, then get on I-80 west, and get off at exit 77, and go towards a bigass rock out in the middle of no where.

You can literally shoot 7-10 miles in any direction, and not hit a damn thing. I sighted in my rifle, and decided to use the mountain tip as my target. I saw the round impact a couple thousand yards off through my spotting scope...

Shooting out here is GTG!

Taxes, im not sure. I live on base, so taxes are laughed at

Looks like Utah does tax... the below reference from a quick google search so it's not gospel. If you are coming from KY be prepared for a huge cultural difference in Utah. I moved from TN a while ago, and no longer live in UT.

Because of their culture I will never move back. Seperation of church and state not so much...It is a beautiful place, and you can absolutely find open spaces as Alderleet mentions to shoot everywhere no doubt.

Utah Tax Commission
210 N. 1950 W.
Salt Lake City, UT 84134
Salt Lake City: (801) 297-2200
Other: (800) 662-4335

General Information: Military members who are legal residents are taxed using federal income tax rules. Nonresident military members who receive nonmilitary income from an in-state source must file. Military income is used when computing tax on nonmilitary income. Military retired pay and SBP benefits are taxed.

Thanks, what I thought / found out too. So, we are not moving to UT. Just got to KY and feel like I am in a closet, need big wide open spaces, sky is too small in KY so....