• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Utah Shootouts Practical Precision Mar 9, 2013

desertratdad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2005
SLC UT
www.utahshootouts.com
Scores are down below there some where or on our website www.utahshootouts.com - monthly events

Match Video Link http://youtu.be/VVwpjYzONvw

March 9, 2013

NEW TIME: 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. (gate open by 9:00 am)

NEW COST: $25, that includes the new $7 per day range fee. Annual pass holders only pay $18.

North Springs Shooting Range, Price, Ut

Practical Precision - 50 to 1000 yards.

Will plan 4 stages of 15 rounds each. Two to four strings of fire each stage. 100 yd, 600 yd, 1000 yd ranges and a combo 600-1000.

Because of unknown snow and ice conditions for that time we will not plan any over the edge, carbine or pistol stages.

You can bring your carbine and pistol in case we can do any side matches or just practice with them.

Shooter List:
1 - Bunnypunter
2 - Eznuts
3 - Thayne
4 - Brett + 1
5 - Kent
6 - Brett
7 - Russ
8 - Bruce
9 - Eric
10 - Gary
11 - Charley
12 - Logan
13 - Jeff
14 - Clayne
15 - Biggerhammer
16 - James +++++++

24 - Brandon
25 - Greg
26 - Chris
27 - Z
28 - Robert
29 - Tom
30 - Coldbore
31 - Ron
32 - Jeramie
33 - FudWacked
34 - guy from Lehi
35 - Trever
36 - me
37 - Kevin
38 - Jim
39 - Colton
40 - Cold +
41 - Chubbles
42 - Jose
43 - Snag
44 - Austin
45 - Billy

Last edited:
Re: Utah Shootouts Practical Precision Mar 9, 2013

Sign me up. This is Kent Maag

I will most likely be bringing one more with me.

I keep trying to tell the wife that a March 15th due date isn't so close to the 9th that we need to worry about her going into labor.

Unfortunately, she thinks the 3.5 hour drive to price is too far. Counter point labor takes some 15 hours, plenty of time. No dice.

Please humiliate EZ and Bunnypunter on my behalf (if they don't do it themselves). Will be sad to miss out.

Put me and clayne_b on the list Please. Thanks

Chris, did you hear how your buddy did down in Phoenix yet?

I was out to the range last Friday. The LE area was still way froze up. Hopefully the square ranges will be snow free and not too muddy.

We'll need a few volunteers to run the squads though. I've been building some cold bore + 1 paper targets. That's all you get to know about it. I can build as many as we get shooters to shoot.

Looks like spring fever has hit. Ain't it wonderful. About 29 shooters so far. We can handle 40 shooters with out adding another stage, which wouldn't be a problem as long as I knew by Thursday morning when I will be getting there. The worst that can happen is I'll ask for volunteers to RO/SO.

Another thing is after it's over, I might ask for volunteers to haul railroad ties, dead tree trunks and branches etc. to the shooting positions for the Over the Edge venue. The ground needs to be dried out enough to drive on. So bring your gloves and if you have a truck you wouldn't mind putting railroad ties in the back of. Anyone that helps can use their wild imagination to help design barricade type shooting positions. Another project will be hauling steel down over the edge. We have about 3 dozen targets to set up some day...

Last edited:
Not sure why there is a picture of a lock where it lists this thread. Below that is says that means this thread is closed. If you can read this, it must not be too closed. I'm still trying to figure a few things out here.

When I put my glasses on I could see that was not a pad lock icon on the previous page where it lists this thread . It looks like a tag of some kind. Don't know whether that is good or bad but at least people can post on here. I came out of panic mode now.

This forum is a great asset to the shooting sports. I'll get the hang of it some day.

Does anyone know if the campground is open out there? If so, we will just be chilling that night out there and could do some hauling and building. We get bored easily without something productive to do. Let us know Clint.

Go ahead and toss me a slot if you have room. (FudWacked) AKA Christian.

If we get more than 4 - 8 shooter squads, we'll add a squad & a stage of the safari animals already set up. And drop the round count to 10 or 12 per stage. Hope there are several of you anxiously awaiting to SO.

We'll let people shoot before the match starts. We have usually done that on monthly matches. I was going to do a different cold bore shot and not let any one shoot before, but the 600 range was too muddy for that last week end.

Everybody dress for the weather and get there early to get signed in so we can get shootin by 10:00.

We won't be able to keep this many people with a roof over their head to shoot.

I'll be there Thursday to get it together.

I've got 50 sets of paper. Keep me updated in case I need to print more.

I'm sure glad their will be several volunteers to run the squads through the COF.

For new shooters:
There will be a safety orientation 9:45 (for all shooters). Usually bipod for front and sand bag or fist for rear rest. Must be in contact with baracades when shooting off them. Must use no support when stage description calls for it.

Any more questions just ask.

I assume this party is going down rain or shine, right? We are coming out of Logan the night before and camping at the range. Just want to make sure, especially since the forcast is looking sort of crappy.

We will NOT cancel because of cold or snow.

It wasn't too bad shooting in the snow before. We laid there for a half hour trying to see the 1000 yd 18" steel between snow flakes. I didn't believe Russ when he said he could see it, till he hit it first shot.

Perfect, thats what I wanted to hear. Thanks.

It wasn't too bad shooting in the snow before. We laid there for a half hour trying to see the 1000 yd 18" steel between snow flakes. I didn't believe Russ when he said he could see it, till he hit it first shot.

Even a snow blind squirrel find a nut...... I'd rather be lucky than good.

That said, I'm pretty fragile and don't want to be cold or in the rain, I might melt, so lets do some kind of sun dance so I can be comfy.

I'm new to the form . And never have shot a comp before .. Would this be a good shoot for a beginner ? If so put me on the list .

Thanks Billy

I'm new to the form . And never have shot a comp before .. Would this be a good shoot for a beginner ? If so put me on the list .

Thanks Billy

Any time is a good time. Usually it is said if you can shoot a minute of angle (one inch group at 100 yds) you can do good at a match. Some havn't shot out to 1000 yds. I say just shoot what they can. Usually people will get plenty of help from other shooters at these monthly matches.
Clint

This will only be my 2nd match. I learned that if your humble and willing to take a little coaching you can learn a lot at these comps. Plus, I'm all game for humiliating myself. I just check my pride at the gate and let lead fly. You'll have a riot.

Thanks Billy

It's been doing some snowing here. We'll shoot all stages from under cover now (just in case there are any whimps). You might check highway 6 conditions in the morning and give your self extra time.

See you in the morning!!!

Last edited:
Congratulations to Casey, over all winner. A lot of brave souls challenged the snow over Soldier Summit. It snowed here all day yesterday and into this morning. It started letting up as we were starting to shoot. Turned out being sunny for a couple hours. We did 3 stages of odd distances from 300 to 1000 yds. The only paper was 100 yd smiley hostage faces.

It was great to have so many new faces. (not that I am tired of the old ones)

1 Casey 300-----260
2 Jeff 281-----20BR
3 Jon 265-----260
4 Ron 255-----6.5
5 Robert 249-----6.5X47
6 Kevin 247-----6.5X47
7 Eric W 240-----.260
8 Russ 225-----338 Norma
8 Kent 225-----243
10 James 220-----260
10 Harrison 220-----260
12 Chris 200-----6.5X47
13 Steve 187-----308
14 Austin 185-----260
14 Josh W 185-----260
16 Brandon (A9) 181-----?
17 Charley 180-----25-06
17 Eric O 180-----6mmXC
19 Christian (not Christensen) 179-----308
20 Curtis 174-----308
21 Jeramie 170-----6X47
22 Gary 160-----6mmXC
23 Rex 145-----308
24 Bob 141-----260
25 Bruce 123-----6.5X47
26 Ian 120-----308
26 Trevor 120-----6X47
28 Jose 110-----308
29 Thayn 97-----223
30 Josh M 95-----260
31 Nate 81-----308
32 Henry 75-----260
33 Bret 74-----6.5 Creedmoor
34 Brandon (D32) 69-----?
35 Nick 65-----308
36 Colton 62-----7mm-08
37 Billy 57-----6X47
38 Tom 42-----223
39 BJ 15-----243

The two Brandons had .260 and 6.5 Creed. Couldn't tell which last name went to which shooter (score).

Last edited:
Just a heads up.....

338 Norma Mag Improved...... maybe, just maybe, too much for a 50+ round match after shooting it 60 rounds the day before.

That is all.

Thanks for putting it on in, I had a riot even though i didn't shoot as well as i had hoped. Dang those green smiley faces! maybe next time right.

Thanks Clint. That was a riot. Next time I think I'll verify my zero better. Afterwards I discovered I was shooting 1.75" low at 100 yrds. Makes a little more sense why I couldnt hit squat that day. Guess there is always May.

I just put the calibers on the results post above.

There was a red covered DOPE book left at the range and is still there. I have a nice utility knife in my truck that was left at the range.

For those interested I just posted a new video from the 2012 Sniper comp on you tube, Utah Sniper Championship 2012 QT, hope you enjoy.