• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

UTAH STATE SNIPER SHOOT - Sept 11, some pics

Re: UTAH STATE SNIPER SHOOT - Sept 11, 2010

Don't forget to add Ryan S to the list he will be there #33

You are right. I didn't notice both of you on there.

T Shirts: Trying to finalize a deal. At the moment we can still get different colors and some long sleeves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: desertratdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
T Shirts: Trying to finalize a deal. At the moment we can still get different colors and some long sleeves.

</div></div>

A match director's plate is usually pretty full. Don't try to be OldNavy and have a Tshirt in every color, its hard enough to get everyone's size straight. Pick a color and style and worry about safety and stage prep!

just my $.02
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottmilk9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with the above.....with a little experience as MD. </div></div>

where is the fun in that?...lol

I would just like long sleeve so I dont get toasted......

Ordering shirts. Everybody should be happy (except the 3/4th that didn't vote).

Checks will be going in the bank now.

Will be sending out emails and posting here many answers to questions I've been getting, just to help clarify procedures, rules, etc. I'll plan on doing that this Sunday night.

UPDATE:

9/11/10 Utah State Sniper Shoot Update

60 shooters:
Spent many hours with Safety officers and range management figuring out how to run more shooters through. Not everyone reads Snipers Hide all the time and didn't get the notice we were full. We got many paid entry forms we were not expecting.

With renting more space and getting some range help included, we can run and another squad. So now we can run up to 60 shooters. BUT THAT WILL BE THE LIMIT. Please call me or email me to get added to the list. 801 599 1574

Friday shooting:
You may shoot all you want on Friday Sept 10. Do the daily range sign in and pay the $5 daily range fee to the range office. You must sign the guest register in the range office every day you are at the range. First time visitors to the range need to sign a range waiver.

Camp or Hotel:
You may camp at the range for $8 per night. Tent, truck or RV. It's a dry camp, no facilities except nice restrooms close by and a RV dump. Many shooters have stayed at the Holiday Inn at the West end of the town of Price.

Match sign in - info packet:
Everyone that comes in on Friday please do the “match” sign in and get the info packet to relieve pressure Saturday morning. At match sign in you must declare what firearms you will be using – builder, model, caliber. You get your choice of three firearms.

Saturday Morning:
Sign in at the range office Saturday morning starting 7:30. Also do the match sign in if you didn't do it the day before. Daily range fee for Saturday comes out of the $55 match fee. No shooting Saturday morning before match.

Read “sign in packet” information:
Read all information contained in sign in packet. It will save a lot of time in shooter meeting. It will have shooter # and squad assignments. Also range rules , range map and plan for the day.

Shooter Meeting:
8:30 am will be mandatory shooter meeting.

Equipment:
Limitations on equipment are minimal, BUT:

You and equipment must be safe.

You must be able to move with the course of fire. Bipods are best, ruck sacks are ok for the front rest. Fist or small sand bag are best for the rear rest. Shooting sticks could possibly come in handy. All equipment must be at the firing line when the stage starts.

Accuracy is all important.

Time it takes to move to another shooting position, get sight picture and pull trigger can and will make a difference in score.

.22 rimfire does not activate the pistol steel very well. Anything less than .223 will not activate the carbine steel. All steel must be activated to get the points. Rapid fire will be important with both pistol and carbine.

I will answer any other questions about equipment you have.

HAVE A NICE DAY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: utahstroke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A reminder on round count?</div></div>
Maximum round count: 60 Precision, 60 Carbine, 60 Pistol (bring more pistol rounds if you're a really bad shot).

Would be best, but not necessary, if you had at least a 5 round mag for precision, 20 round mag for carbine, and enough mags for 25 rounds pistol.

FYI - Just called the Holiday Inn and the only rooms they have available for this weekend are smoking rooms.

I just booked the Greenwell Inn / Convention Center and with a AAA discount the price is about $54 before taxes.

Not to hijack the thread but, % will be bringing down a bunch of steel to sell. If anyone wants anything special let me know.

Ya NO CHARGE for space to anyone that is shooting or any business that is giving to the prize table to bring there product or service for sale or advertise. If you need a table you might have to bring your own.

NOTE: Forgot to mention on the carbine stages, the smallest targets at 100 yds are maybe 3". Fast target acquisition is very important. Just to help you decide your weapon of choice.

Hey Clint, my rifle is tuned up and ready to go, I look forward to shooting with the many great Marksmens on Sept. 11

The range closes for shooting at dusk. I think that is around 8:30 give or take. I'll find out what time they are going to lock the gate. Usually it's pretty late when they have people coming in for a shoot. Maybe about 10:00 pm or a little later.

I'm cutting it pretty close. I drained my 8 lb jug of H4350 and was able to load up 62 rounds. I checked my zero with 2 rounds and it's on. I then loaded up the same charge with a new jug of H4350 and the SD went from 6 to 24 and group from .5" to 2". I don't need this stress right now.

Alan

That's nothing....you've got 60 known good rounds. Save them for the match and worry about playing with your load afterwards (even though there's a myriad of reasons your SD went up).
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Do not let that mess with your head.</span>
-feel free to let that bother you, especially Saturday, I'll take any edge I can get!

I've got you beat, but I don't have the stomach to tell the tale yet. Invovles someone's 7-08 rifle that was going to be shot next Saturday, a soft case, and a Chevy Trailblazer.
....I'm bringing my backup 308 and I've got just enough rounds to make it before I switch primers and powder lots too.

It gets dark sooner than I thought, so the range will be closing for shooting shortly after 7:30 pm Friday.

The range will not be open for shooting Saturday morning before the match starts.

Gate and office will open about 7:15 Saturday morning for those that didn't sign in Fri.

Re: UTAH STATE SNIPER SHOOT - Sept 11, 2010- update-

Your match looks really cool. I am hosting a 3-Gun match here in Nebraska on 9/11 as well. I call it the 9/12 Project 3 Gun, inspired by Glenn Beck. As for your sniper shoot, would you share with me a rough idea of the courses of fire. Last year we had a local (Nebraska) sheriff deputy killed in the line of duty. He loved shooting sniper competitions! As a civilian, I did not know what to really expect, but I host about 8 USPSA style matches a year. As for "sniper matches" I have participated in one and held another memorial shoot in his name this year. I am looking for ideas to offer for upcoming events like this. Thanks.

Re: UTAH STATE SNIPER SHOOT - Sept 11, 2010- update-

Stress let me tell you about stress the bag of worms I got into went to straighten my bolt handle put some heat on it well to much heat and my bolt handle then fell off drive to a so called gun smith 150 mile round trip left it for two days again 150 round trip to pick up got home went to range third shot bolt handle fell off well to make short story after another 300 mile trip I will get back today. All I can think about is timed shoot looking down and bam there it is in my hand again.

Morale of the story: If it works don't mess with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's nothing....you've got 60 known good rounds. Save them for the match and worry about playing with your load afterwards (even though there's a myriad of reasons your SD went up).
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Do not let that mess with your head.</span>
-feel free to let that bother you, especially Saturday, I'll take any edge I can get!

I've got you beat, but I don't have the stomach to tell the tale yet. Invovles someone's 7-08 rifle that was going to be shot next Saturday, a soft case, and a Chevy Trailblazer.
....I'm bringing my backup 308 and I've got just enough rounds to make it before I switch primers and powder lots too.
</div></div>

Its a good campfire story!! LOL

Just got back from a weekend at the range. We've got between 45 and 50 on the list to shoot. Keeps fluctuating. But still got room for a few more. Please email me or call me. Anybody that hasn't paid yet, just bring the money with you but make sure you email me your registration or call me at least.

I'll answer some other questions when I wake up.

Winmdl98, the term Sniper Match I have used to interest Law Enforcement Depts in Utah in the past. Except this year they held their own shooting competition about a week and a half ago. So I didn't get near the response.

Other than the name, this is a tactical or practical type of match. Most of the points will come from practical precision 100 to 1000 yard shooting. Trying to utilize the great facility (North Springs Shooting Range) we have here in Utah.

As far as COF goes. It will be similar to what we do every month. Except with out the frills. You can watch videos of our past matches if you go to our website www.utahshootouts.com

I haven't got the video put together from our last match yet.

Impulse, I gave those targets a workout yesterday. Bob and me are still deciding exactly where to place some of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will a .22 Magnum activate the steel on the pistol range?

Thanks </div></div>

DD,

Are you coming down to play?

Would you people man up and bring real pistols!!

Countin' down....I gots me a new rifle to try out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you people man up and bring real pistols!!

Countin' down....I gots me a new rifle to try out!</div></div>

Hey maybe we could stress test it by parking my GMC Sierra on top of it!!! Its alittle heavier than the Trailblazer you tried!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will a .22 Magnum activate the steel on the pistol range?

Thanks </div></div>

DD,

Are you coming down to play?</div></div>

Yes I'll be there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you people man up and bring real pistols!!
</div></div>

I have a 9mm glock, but have an AMT AutoMag II that I would rather shoot if it will work.

Just yanking your chain
grin.gif

Looking forward to seeing some folks again and meeting some new ones!

I can roll with the 9mm... I am likely to be shitty at either, so it really makes no difference to me
laugh.gif

I just have a box of .22 mag shells and a pistol, that is all... don't read anything more into it. I don't have a single pistol that I have shot before, so no matter what I bring it will be new to me
wink.gif

No excuses, I am looking to have a good time

Man, only a few days away...I'm pumped!!! Got to kill a speed goat in the next 2 days first! Chiller we are planning on camping, I will probably get there pretty late Friday night. Long drive from Antelope area to Price! Lookin forward to seeing everyone!

Z