• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns Vaquero change?

MarinePMI

Ban Cat Handler
Staff member
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 3, 2010
    San Diego, Ca
    I know this (sub)forum deals almost exclusively with semi-auto pistols and such, but figured I'd ask here anyways, as so many here seem to have a broad range of tastes when it comes to firearms.

Years ago, on a whim (and with a TAD per diem check in my pocket), I purchased a Ruger Vaquero single action revolver in .44Mag. (Nostalgia induced)

For some reason, today I was perusing their site and noticed that it is no longer offered in .44Mag, only the more common Cowboy cartridges. I've hardly ever shot the thing, and while the color case hardening has faded a bit, it is still in pretty good condition.

Question: When did they discontinue offering the pistol in .44Mag?

Go over to rugerforum.com Great bunch of guys and they know Rugers! krw

I think that when they trimmed the grip down to make the Vaquero more colt like, they also trimmed down the entire frame. I just sold my old 44 Mag Vaquero, but already forgot what year they said was the last year they made them.

I'll bet that money is at the root of why they discontinued the 44 mag. My guess is that the cowboy action cartridges were more popular sales wise, and the 44 mag just cost too much to keep in production. They reduced the frame size to compete with the colt pistols, and of course, the 44 mag requires a fairly hefty frame. As I'm not a cowboy action shooter, I would probably find more utility in the 44 mag vaquero, and I'll bet there are a fair number of other people who feel the same way. You can always load it down, but you can't load them up without disastrous consequences (if you get too frisky).

Yepper. The new model Vaquero's are on a smaller frame and not designed for heavy magnums. The frame says "New Vaquero" on the side. The old models were much beefier--well suited for heavy magnums but a bit much for smaller calibers--hence the change. Makes it difficult for fellers like me that have to search high and low to find stainless old model vaquero bisleys for conversions to 475 and 500 Linebaugh.

Rugerforum and single-action forums are a wealth of info and often times temptation. The one good thing about custom single actions, they don't require equally expensive glass.

I bought mine in 2008, and if I remember correctly the "New Vaquero" were just coming out. And a lot of people were grabbing up all the old models still available because they liked the larger frame. So it might have around that time.

I think both the old and new model Vaquero's are fine looking pistols. I really like the Bisley's too, and think that a stainless Bisley in 44 mag would be really neat...if a guy could find one at a decent price. But that is another gun that I want, rather than need. I find that the older I get, the more important it is for me to separate want from need.

Thanks for all the responses folks! I headeded over to the ruger forums as suggested.