• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Varget alternative for 308 semi auto???

alpha6164

Minuteman
Oct 3, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
I currently use varget for my bolt actions and have great accuracy. This may be a tall order but i am looking for an alternative which hast the following characteristics:

1) Cheaper than varget (for mass loading1-2K rounds)
2) Better metering than varget
3) Temp insensitive. Living in North Florida temperatures reach 30degrees in the winter time and 100deg in summer.

Does such powder exist?

Re: Varget alternative for 308 semi auto???

Not sure about cheap, but reloader 15 is another good powder for the 308. I also have good luck with BLC-2. It meters well, however it's very temperature sensitive.

I have substituted B4895 with great luck. My charges are almost identical.

Varget can be too slow for some gas guns. Either of the 4895s is the ticket.

I shoot H4895 and Varget in my 308 both are "Extreme" powders so sensitivity is not an issue. What set up are you using for reloading?
Dillon? RCBS? If a single stage either is fine,there are a few articles here about loading on the Dillon and powder choices if thats the case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot H4895 and Varget in my 308 both are "Extreme" powders so sensitivity is not an issue. What set up are you using for reloading?
Dillon? RCBS? If a single stage either is fine,there are a few articles here about loading on the Dillon and powder choices if thats the case. </div></div>

This will be for a POF 308 and my FNAR rifles. I am using a Hornady Lock N Load progressive.

Try Ramshot TAC cheap pretty temp stable and meters like salt.I've shot it in an LMT MWS but cannot quote velocities as its not been through a chrono yet.

175 smk
fed brass
43.3 R Tac
fed 210 m

Win748 is a good choice for a ball powder too, medium burning pretty close to 4895. I don't think you'll find anything as temp stable as varget though and as far as cheap goes they are all about the same, maybe 5-10$ per 8 pounder at the most.

Depending on what Grain bullet your shooting but TAC is really good for some it does meter very well. If your shooting 168 or 175 I found great results from N550 but it uses about 3 to 4 grains more than Varget but I found it easier to get than Varget some times. Right now I have an Extra 8lbs of Varget and 2230 if anyone needs it Sell it cheaper.

I have to agree with DMG about how the TAC Meters its nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magforce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depending on what Grain bullet your shooting but TAC is really good for some it does meter very well. If your shooting 168 or 175 I found great results from N550 but it uses about 3 to 4 grains more than Varget but I found it easier to get than Varget some times. Right now I have an Extra 8lbs of Varget and 2230 if anyone needs it Sell it cheaper.

I have to agree with DMG about how the TAC Meters its nice. </div></div>

For my match grade 175gr i will continue to use Varget, but this 1-2K i was going to load was straight 147gr FMJ bullets for SHTF stuff and range blasting ammo. This obviously is not going to require accuracy of a match grade ammo. As long as i get 2MOA out of it i will be happy
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
For my match grade 175gr i will continue to use Varget, but this 1-2K i was going to load was straight 147gr FMJ bullets for SHTF stuff and range blasting ammo. This obviously is not going to require accuracy of a match grade ammo. As long as i get 2MOA out of it i will be happy
smile.gif
</div></div>

Look around for military pulldown powder, sometimes you can find it at gun shows or online for around 100-110 an 8lb jug of WC846?. Otherwise TAC, Win748, AA2230/2460/2520 will do what you want.

edit: Hi-techammo has WC844 pulldown for 85$ an 8lb, that would do 223 and 308w/lighter bullets.

As BCP says. Wideners or Powder Valley will frequently have surplus powders. I've had good luck with their Milsurp 4895. Florida doesn't usually go from 30 to 110 in a day or two. A summer load and winter load won't differ more than a grain or two...so change twice a year. JMHO

I haven't seen anyone mention IMR 8208. I've done some testing with it and I am switching to it for my AR10T in .308. The kernels are about half the size of Varget and it is 3rd gen chemistry of the "extreme" formulation.

I like how the powder doesn't hit as hard as Varget at the higher end of the charge spectrum. I lost 50 fps at the most, and gained another 1/4 moa in accuracy with 168's at 100. It seems a bit more mild, easier on brass and the rifle. I was shooting 46 gr of Varget with the 168's but now I shoot 42.8. You would save a bit of powder over a few thousand rounds in the lighter charge weight alone.

I don't think that the price will be any different. I will be buying one of the eight pounders after Christmas.

I live in Milton, near Pensacola, so I can relate to your temp ranges. I use W748 in my gas guns and have not run into temp issues. I know this because I've chrono'd them in the 30-100+ temp ranges you will encounter. I can say I've not seen velocity or pressure issues with this powder. Also, it tends to yield accurate ammo.

I use IMR 4064 for my gas gun. Quite accurate. Don't know about cheaper than Varget though

I have had luck with imr4064, I just did some load testing with it yesterday on my AR10T, I got a .392" 5 shot group at 100y on one of my load tests. 41.5gr, 168mk, I didn't chrono it yet. it was about 30 outside

The best groups I have ever seen on paper (Me shooting not best I have ever seen) came from my DPMS LR-308 with H4895. Varget always has worked great also. But if its not on the shelves you still have to shoot right. I live in North Idaho where it goes from 100 all the way down to -30 in the winter and this has worked in all temps from varmint shooting in the summer to coyote in the winter and spring. JMHO

I've been using Acc 2230 for my 308 plinking rounds in my bolt and my dpms 308. Have shot moa or better with it using 150gr and 168gr bullets. I tried it for the same reason I hated using up all my Varget for plinking and I had an 8 lb of 2230 so I gave it a try and it has worked pretty well. Load for the 168gr was 41.5 and the 150gr 43.0. Temp wise it has worked well for me in my 223's for many years so it should do the same in the 308. I believe it is $20-30 less per 8lb at least last time i purchased.

I use reloader 15 for my .308 bolt and my .223 AR and Mini-14 without any issues as far as cycling goes. My brother in law uses it in his M1A as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Desert Fox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not sure about cheap, but reloader 15 is another good powder for the 308. I also have good luck with BLC-2. It meters well, however it's very temperature sensitive. </div></div>

+1

Stay away from the BL-C2 if you live in FL. Here in TX, I have had some bad experiences with overpressuring a semi-auto 308 due to the temperature sensitivity. Blown primer pockets and all.

We have similar temperature variations in Kansas..-10 to 110 degrees, so I am also trying some different powders that I can run thru my RCBS Pro2000 progressive (for mass loading).

I like Varget in my Armalite AR-10T, but am now experimenting with Benchmark. It really flows nice thru the progressive, and hopefully shoots as well in the .308 gas gun. I just loaded up a batch, but need the weather to cooperate to see how it shoots.

Another Imr 4064 user here. Gave up on trying to procure
large amounts of Varget so 4064 it is and never looked back.