• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vectronix Terrrapin maximum range?

I hit 4279yds on a building just resting mine on a ledge, keep in mind the gun and ammo you need to reach out to 2000-2500yds, not to mention your own raw ability. I don't know if you need a range on a target much past that for tactical rifle purposes. Unless you are calling in an air strike what's the point of ranges past say 2500yds?

Vectronix has tools to allow you to do that

Well I think its a great help if you want to know how far you have to travel to a new location or when you have just found a few Elk over the next Valley, Yes/No???

John

You aren't going to get a return on an elk at 3500yds, I'm not sure you can pick one out at that range either without a spotting scope. I think if I ranged a new position and it said 3500yds over uneven ground carrying all my stuff I would look for something closer.

Chiller, the air strike would be sweet. I made that comment half in jest. I realize the military applications for these units I just think guys are talking a lot about "how far" the Vectronix units will range and its way way beyond what you can hit with a rifle so I'm not sure that's the important thing to discuss.

For most here the performance on terrain and steel out to 1200 or so, that is commonly seen in competition under varying light conditions, is more important than whether or not I can range a deer at 3 miles.

You aren't going to get a return on an elk at 3500yds, I'm not sure you can pick one out at that range either without a spotting scope. I think if I ranged a new position and it said 3500yds over uneven ground carrying all my stuff I would look for something closer.

Chiller, the air strike would be sweet. I made that comment half in jest. I realize the military applications for these units I just think guys are talking a lot about "how far" the Vectronix units will range and its way way beyond what you can hit with a rifle so I'm not sure that's the important thing to discuss.

For most here the performance on terrain and steel out to 1200 or so, that is commonly seen in competition under varying light conditions, is more important than whether or not I can range a deer at 3 miles.

Yeah I know it wont Range Elk that far but they might range targets near by,

And the good thing about their excessive range is that alot of guys here shoot where there is snow or desert and under bad conditions most hunting LRFs wont go the distance,

John

That's what I was addressing with the second half of the post you quoted, I believe we are on the same page.

From what you said I am now wondering if theres a need for anything better than the G7, But like I have said before I would like one of these but in all honesty Im not sure I need one???.

But the cost Difference is'nt that great so that does'nt help either.

John

The Vectronix Terrapin will range farther than anyone can hit a reasonable target. As a rangefinder for shooters, it is as good as will ever be needed apart from ranging in some extreme conditions. I have had it bounce back a 15 yeard reading at a known 350 yard target in heavy fog. When I first got it, I was all giggly because it would bounce back ranges at pretty much anything I could find (4,500+ yards on a building). Definitely better overall, but I miss the compactness and ergos (and price!) of my Leica 1600 CRF.

The Vectronix Terrapin will range farther than anyone can hit a reasonable target. As a rangefinder for shooters, it is as good as will ever be needed apart from ranging in some extreme conditions. I have had it bounce back a 15 yeard reading at a known 350 yard target in heavy fog. When I first got it, I was all giggly because it would bounce back ranges at pretty much anything I could find (4,500+ yards on a building). Definitely better overall, but I miss the compactness and ergos (and price!) of my Leica 1600 CRF.

I would love a pair of these But I am leaning towards the G7 or the fusion after some of the comments on here, I had my mind set on these but now I am not sure if I am buying them because they are the best or what now,

John

How are ranges like this possible with an FDA-allowed laser? If Leica, Swaro, etc., can't get even half that performance, I would assume it's not a problem of optics, so either they're cheating on laser power or else their optical processing mechanisms/algorithms are a generation ahead of everyone else?

How are ranges like this possible with an FDA-allowed laser? If Leica, Swaro, etc., can't get even half that performance, I would assume it's not a problem of optics, so either they're cheating on laser power or else their optical processing mechanisms/algorithms are a generation ahead of everyone else?

I don't think it's so much the wattage of the laser as much as the quality of the laser. The quality is directly proprtional to the beam divergence at a given range. The longer the read range, the greater the beam divergence. Which is why accuracy diminishes, the longer the range is. Less beam divergence the greater capability the device has to read the return beam.

At least that's how I understand it. Others here may be more educated on the matter.

Was out with my Terrapin yesterday ranging cows of all colors, not sure the color make a difference, but all the cows and calf's were ranged at distances of 1200-1295 yards in
in bright sunlight at 11 am without out one miss. Then went to 2000 yards and still got hits on them. All this was done while sitting in my car and bracing my elbows. I really like this
gadget. As far as bad conditions that I have ranged,were in heavy snow and heavy rain,they were not a problem on 3d mode, heavy fog was the hardest to range in regular mode, but 3d was better. What I realized is, if this unit has something to pick up in the fog on 3d it can grab it and give you a reading.
All my other RF I tried, swaro, bushnell, could not give me any readings that the terrapin gave me, and they were in light snow or steady rain and forget about fog that's the real killer.
So its money well spent for this RF.
Elmer

That's what made me purchase a Terrapin. I was hunting antelope last year and it was a little foggy with a light mist. I had the new Swaro RF binos and the Swaro 8x30 RF and could not range past 400 yards. The guy I was with had the Bushnell Arc and was having the same problems. I though to myself never again! I have not used the Terrapin in those conditions, but if the need ever comes up, I hope the do the job.