• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Very upsetting few days regarding household's pets.

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2001
AZ
Very O/T. The family is kinda messed up today.

Our small home got two additional people two months back, our Daughter and our Grandson. Also arriving were four cats and an absolutely psychotic shrieking/yapping runt dog. None of this had been discussed in advance of arrival.

Soon after, it became apparent that one of the cats was pregnant, and the only possible male involved was her litter mate. Our Daughter has failed to have any of the four cats neutered.

Also in the home prior to this are two cats and a pair of Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix Terriers. The more recent overall tone in the house has been nervous coping, interspersed with much hissing, growling, and yapping. Stress is not a foreign concept.

Saturday the cat delivered three beautiful kittens. Yesterday, the male Chihuahua got into the our Daughter's room and slaughtered the three kittens.

When the tears had dried, I was delegated to bury the kittens. Not fun in any sense of the word.

Last evening, I had another heart episode, which involved some thumping sensations in the chest immediately followed by a loss of consciousness for about 30-60 seconds. The ambulance came and by then I was already back up and pretty stable. The tentative diagnosis was Syncope. My blood pressure went up to the 170-180's and two emergency doses of Hydralazine had zero effect. Waking BP was still the same as last night.

Today I am scheduled for an unrelated medical appointment at the Tuscon VA hospital about 80 miles away. Just took BP again and it's finally dropped below 160, which is the trigger point for taking Hydralazine. Normal is about 110-120 (medicated).

Once my scheduled appointment is finished, the VA will be shutting down for the day; and I'm probably going to have to go home without any opportunity to address the Syncope episode. So I'll end up having to do what I always do, wing it.

Right now my general outlook is far from enthusiastic. Last night's episode was straight outta the blue and very disturbing. I could probably do with some prayers, because last night, when things grayed out, I was about half certain it was curtains; I came out of it pissed off and thrashing while only partially aware of things for another minute or two. In the meantime, being able to share my experience actually seems to have been helpful. I really hope nobody here has such an experience.

Greg

Last edited:
You took the time to post it, I took the time to read it.
Thanks for sharing.
I agree with the aspect of stress, especially someone that stress can have an immediate effect.

Some things you will not be able to change (it's family and all that).
Occupy yourself with distractions that you like.
Also remember to delegate, shed, some stress to others.

Praying for you brother. Sounds like a rough holiday season. Hope everything gets better for you soon. Get out the house and go pew pew or go hit the lake and just breath and rest brother. keep your chin up.

Reactions: jungle45

Our small home got two additional people two months back, our Daughter and our Grandson. Also arriving were four cats and an absolutely psychotic shrieking/yapping runt dog. None of this had been discussed in advance of arrival.

Soon after, it became apparent that one of the cats was pregnant, and the only possible male involved was her litter mate. Our Daughter has failed to have any of the four cats neutered.

Also in the home prior to this are two cats and a pair of Jack Russel/Chihuahua mix Terriers. The more recent overall tone in the house has been nervous coping, interspersed with much hissing, growling, and yapping. Stress is not a foreign concept.

Saturday the cat delivered three beautiful kittens. Yesterday, the male Chihuahua got into the our Daughter's room and slaughtered the three kittens.

When the tears had dried, I was delegated to bury the kittens. Not fun in any sense of the word.

Last evening, I had another heart episode, which involved some thumping sensations in the chest immediately followed by a loss of consciousness for about 30-60 seconds. The ambulance came and by then I was already back up and pretty stable. The tentative diagnosis was Syncope. My blood pressure went up to the 170-180's and two emergency doses of Hydralazine had zero effect. Waking BP was still the same as last night.

Today I am scheduled for an unrelated medical appointment at the Tuscon VA hospital about 80 miles away. Just took BP again and it's finally dropped below 160, which is the trigger point for taking Hydralazine. Normal is about 110-120 (medicated).

Once my scheduled appointment is finished, the VA will be shutting down for the day; and I'm probably going to have to go home without any opportunity to address the Syncope episode. So I'll end up having to do what I always do, wing it.

Right now my general outlook is far from enthusiastic. Last night's episode was straight outta the blue and very disturbing. I could probably do with some prayers, because last night, when things grayed out, I was about half certain it was curtains; I came out of it pissed off and thrashing while only partially aware of things for another minute or two. In the meantime, being able to share my experience actually seems to have been helpful. I really hope nobody here has such an experience.

Greg
Prayers to you and your family Greg :)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !

Thank you, and my plans (as such...) are very similar to your advice. I'm no stranger to the stranger things in family life. We cope, best as we can; taking an even strain can be frustrating at times.

Greg

My 'Kid" is 47 years old, and here because of a failed marriage (the second one). We have had such talks in the past, but things always revert. (First, do no harm. Next, work at helping, not blaming; blame helps nothing. If there's more, it gets interesting.)

At this point, Celia and I are providing a home for our family in a moment of disorientation, not the first time, never easy. In our book, family is family and there's no alternative. We get our strength from the hearts and minds of our friends, which definitely include you folks.

Healthy is that with which one can cope. Sometimes a bit of unhappy leaks out. For a Marine, that's just par for the course, and sometimes one can gain insight from the practice of herding cats. With six cats now, we get a bit of practice at it.

Greg

PS, I never come first; somebody has to be the rock. If I didn't give a damn, it would probably be a lot easier.

Last edited:
My 'Kid" is 47 years old, and here because of a failed marriage (the second one). We have had such talks in the past, but things always revert.

At this point, Celia and I are providing a home for our family in a moment of disorientation, not the first time, never easy. In our book, family is family and there's no alternatative. We get our strength from the hearts and minds of our friends, which definitely include you folks.

Greg
Now that I think about it.....we’ve got Mom (my MIL) with us. Great lady, 85 years old. But.....she has this little yappy dog, a Chinese Chin, I think. I am not fond of the dog. I nicknamed it “Shovelready”.....;)

Sorry to hear about all the crazy and it causing you some serious health problems.

I'm assuming somebody is going to be a bit pissed off at said dog.

Prayers for you and your family. Seriously do some very and controlled breathing exercises. It will lower the heart rate and blood pressure while giving you a second to reflect.

You need to take care of YOU first otherwise there will be no "rock" for the family. Secondly they are living in YOUR home. Your daughter needs to be concerned about her son and cleanse the baggage that is causing the chaos while at YOUR home. Then take accountability with her own life, which means being grateful, and helping you out while she is getting her shit strait.
I agree family is family and you will help them out anyway you can, but that won't be possible with you gone. Put your foot down by having the " Do you think this is healthy? No? How about this? No? What needs to change to make it right?" Talk as a family.

Best wishes and prayers

Reactions: oneshot86
You are a good man Sir! Waaaayy better than myself, I guarantee that. I am only a few years older than the daughter and from my perspective-outside looking in- she really needs to get the big picture and see how this situation is impacting (all of) you. When an ambulance shows up, it's never for bueno reasons. That alone is like 10 boxes of red flags. It's good you can recognize the elements that are the catalyst for this stress/tension. Now you should address it el quicko. I mean no offense to you or your family, but you must help yourself before you can help others. All the best to you and yours, stay strong!

Doug

Sorry to hear this Greg. No answers for the home scene. I have some hard and fast rules about crashing at my place, and it seems everyone is happy that way, so on to what I CAN suggest:
Regardless of the reason for your scheduled visit, address the issue you had with Syncope. If you did not get transported to the hospital for evaluation, then you were not diagnosed in anyway shape or form. Even if standing when they arrived and even if you refused to be transported, a visit to the ER was/is appropriate. I would want to know if you had an MI, or if you have Atrial Fib, or if you had a mild stroke even. Can't do that in the field, and "I'm better now" is an inadequate level of care.
A gold standard that applies here: "You can't take care of anyone else if you don't take care of yourself."
Mention the episode, have the Primary order a 12 lead EKG, and some stat labs. Perhaps even a run down to the VA ER.
Here's the deal: Clinics may shut down for holidays, but the ER never closes. I spent 20 years working ER, and I know that there is always staffing there. Also, all the services (cardiac, ortho, neuro, etc) have on-call staffing. Who knows, with luck they'll tell you to get rid of all the cats. Worst case, they will admit you for work-up, and you can get some actual rest.
Good luck, brother. You have always been a voice of reason here, and I enjoy your long, thought-out posts.

Sorry to hear this Greg. No answers for the home scene. I have some hard and fast rules about crashing at my place, and it seems everyone is happy that way, so on to what I CAN suggest:
Regardless of the reason for your scheduled visit, address the issue you had with Syncope. If you did not get transported to the hospital for evaluation, then you were not diagnosed in anyway shape or form. Even if standing when they arrived and even if you refused to be transported, a visit to the ER was/is appropriate. I would want to know if you had an MI, or if you have Atrial Fib, or if you had a mild stroke even. Can't do that in the field, and "I'm better now" is an inadequate level of care.
A gold standard that applies here: "You can't take care of anyone else if you don't take care of yourself."
Mention the episode, have the Primary order a 12 lead EKG, and some stat labs. Perhaps even a run down to the VA ER.
Here's the deal: Clinics may shut down for holidays, but the ER never closes. I spent 20 years working ER, and I know that there is always staffing there. Also, all the services (cardiac, ortho, neuro, etc) have on-call staffing. Who knows, with luck they'll tell you to get rid of all the cats. Worst case, they will admit you for work-up, and you can get some actual rest.
Good luck, brother. You have always been a voice of reason here, and I enjoy your long, thought-out posts.

I agree 100%... You need to get checked out for the syncopal episode. Need to find out why it happened. Good luck and prayers sent your way

Greg,
First of all, you know I/we always have the best wishes, Prayers, and intentions for you. That being said, don't lose sight of the foremost statement. Don't just skim over it.

Your daughter (no offense) doesn't sound like the definition of "responsible". As such, due to the facts as you've described them, is she ready to bear the responsibility of killing you? It may not be outright murder, but it sure sounds like the "train of events which led to the wrongful death"....

And that is something that NONE of us here want to hear about. Even your largest detractors here, don't want to hear that. If you don't want to say anything to your daughter, to get your lives straightened out (which is WHY you moved to New Mexico from New York, right?) then simply let her read this thread/post and I'll shoulder the blame.

I don't have ANY problems calling a spade a shovel. Nobody should. You're the only 'you' that you have to worry about and take care of, at this time. DO SO. You're way too young and have gone through way too many learning experiences to be a professional daisy-pusher-upper now.

Lay down the law, make some rules, and set some records straight. And believe it or not, it truly is "for the children...."

Merry Christmas, my friend. And to Your Lady too.

Reactions: jrassy
Quick epilogue.

Yesterday, after meeting my new PTSD Shrink (great guy, BTW), my Wife got a call as we were turning onto the street out of the VA parking. It was from the Pacemaker lab, and they were calling to confirm that my defibrillator had fired at precisely the same time as the 'event'. Apparently my BPM had topped 220 for the requisite number (it trips at 180BPM) of seconds.

News to me, but I think that may explain why I came out of it angry and flailing.

My implanted pacemaker/defibrillator gets interrogated via RF every night in the small hours by a comm device under my bed, and then immediately connects via cell with the VA Server and downloads all of the day's monitoring, etc., activity. The Pacer Lab then reviews it all the next day, and makes appropriate notifications. This technology has been active for me since July 2005.

The EMS had arrived within five minutes of my faint, and had me on the EKG within five more. It showed normal Sinus Rhythm.

This AM, got a call from my VA Cardiologist, no actual dialogue yet, but I fully expect a complete followup. Basically, I feel completely normal, but due diligence is still due. My current cardiac profile is Post MI (Christmas 2004), CABGx4, Left Ventricular Myopathy (E/F about 40%), COPD, CHF, AFib.

I tend not to dwell on negativity. My family is my family and the first thing is that we all love each every much. Everything else works when people talk.

As for my detractors, I simply don't see them; the ignore function goes a long way toward keeping an even strain on the load. Mostly all eventually age out of the ignore without any notation, my attitude is that everyone has something worth reading at least some of the time.

I bear nobody here any ill will, it's just so nonproductive to do so. Life is short, and I'm at the shorter end, so I really can't afford to dwell on any negativity, I've got too much better stuff to deal with. Words cannot kill me, anger can; that's probably what's at the root of Monday's episode.

I really do appreciate the kindness and good wishes, and am passing them on to my family. Thank you all, and a great set of Holidays to all here.

My biggest concern is that we get through the Holidays smoothly. The family is dragging me along on a trip to Las Vegas between Christmas and New Year's day. I'm lukewarm on the prospect (I don't gamble), but there's good seats at a Golden Knights Hockey game, and a dynamite Seafood Buffet booked.

BTW the Cataracts are almost completely healed. Vision is a little weird out of the left eye, but I aim with the right one, and I'm due for glasses for extended driving. All works with sufficient patience.

I'll muddle through.

Greg

Last edited:

Greg

Sounds like ventricular tachycardia. BTDT, even, unfortunately, burying a half-consumed cat because my ex got stuck with her half-sister's rescue mutt. The pacemaker, once interrogated, yields detailed information on cardiac function. I got stuck on blood thinners a while back because my intervention cardio swore that I was in a-fib. Interrogation proved this to be false, and the blood thinner was stopped. Muddle through, Greg; we're muddling, too.

Sounds like you have resorted to your training...... embrace th' FU**!! I echo Hankpak on respect for you and your wisdom. Knee mail from Texas inbound!

Henh, henh, henh; and just when I thought I as gonna make it out of the old year with a clean break...

We drove out to Las Vegas, arriving Thursday afternoon, and had to register, dump our bags in the room, and made it from our hotel (Mandalay Bay) over to the T-Mobile Arena in time for the Vegas Golden Knights vs Colorado Rockies game. Temps outside were sub freezing, and we had to dither around for over half hour outside while the ticket office straightened out a screw up. We made it in time and were treated extremely well by the staff inside.

But coming back through the cold, I had developed a bad cough, and when we got to the room, I simply wasn't moving enough air in and out of the lungs to keep my PO2 level up in the 90's. It was getting scary as it continued to drop so we called the front desk to see if they could send someone up with some O2.

Bingey! Instant security blue arrived in our room within 2 minutes (like over a half dozen of them), and the Ambulance crew was two minutes behind them. O2 helped, but not enough, and I decided to take up the offer to transport.

Within 5 minutes, I was in The ER and they were doing some things to me I'd never seen before. Long story short it worked, but I was in for two days in a private room while mucho Lasix flushed the torrent out of me.

Just when I thought I was ready for an early Saturday discharge, the Cardiologist decided I was a bit low on Potassium (well, duh!, we'd just flushed every Doggone electrolyte out of my system, and besides, I'm ALWAYS a tad low on potassium...) and ordered I have four 100 milli-unit bags infused. Running at max allowable rate, that's a tad over an hour per. My RN was former Army Ranger dude from the 'Stan, and we firewalled it. If you've ever had the stuff, you know what it's like, and if you haven't, I refuse to whine about such stuff. Think..., "Embrace The Suck". Tack on another hour for a potassium level test, and I finally got out at about 7 pm Saturday.

So much for a year-end vacation. We got home at 1AM last night. Nerves were frayed.

Life proceeds. Sheeet!

A very Happy New Year to all. I have my black and white Roaring 20's gangster outfit up and running for the New Year's Eve Party at the VFW tonight.

All would be well advised to avoid my path twixt here and there tonight!

Greg

PS Feline update, the count now stands at four. A lady requested barn cats, and we surrendered the two worst troublemakers, who should be just fine in the role, especially since that's what they were before Daughter took them in. Our two, her two, and the Cat Wars proceed afoot...

My little cat is traumatized by the prospect. Tough Darts, Kitty, suck it up and move on....

Last edited:
I understand the family and doing the best for them. The pets are simply an unnecessary aggravation and an imposition upon your generosity.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Well, they might be, but they are also a pleasure in and of themselves. I really do like cats. The dogs are for the rest of us.

What I give is not generosity, it's providing my family with a chance to do better than I did. I need for that to happen.

I'll handle this until I can't, and by then, I won't be worrying about anything anymore. It's how I choose to live out the remainder my life. I could be doing worse things.

Greg

Some additional problem resolution.

The two remaining 'imported' cats were neutered yesterday, at our cost, after three sleepless howling/wailing nights with both of them insanely in heat. So there's quiet, and maybe some peace too, in the valley.

After reading all of my physician notes on MyHealthyVet, as well as the discharge notes and instructions from Vegas, It's beginning to look like I was subjected to a cold air induced bronchial spasm in Vegas. I do not recommend it.

Monday, I finally get in to see my assigned VA Cardiologist, where and when I intend to request a Pulmonology Consult, and discuss the possibility of BiPAP therapy at home. During the incident, the one thing that immediately improved my condition was when they applied that BiPAP to me in the Ambulance.

Aside from the Chest Cold that the entire community is experiencing, I'm doing pretty good.

Hopefully, it should be all good news from this point on.

Greg

My hats off to you for doing what you are doing for your family. I hope you get on top of your health problems and that this year is more kind to you. You've got my thoughts and prayers. Its sad about the little Kitties but life goes on. Stay in touch and hang in there.

Thank you guys.

Things are improving, and once the temps get up to the 70's again (funny how I moved to Southern Arizona to get away from Upstate NY's cold..., morning temps this week hovered in the 20's...), I should be catching up with the backlog (it's large enough to revise) of rifle/handloading/load development projects.

A local who scored "an attic Garand" and got some encouraging groups with it using some of my handloads has been doing some home gunsmithing on several rifles. He and a buddy are stopping by tomorrow to talk over pillar bedding an M70/30-06 in a new Boyd's stock. Bedding M70's is a new one for me, too; but progress will be made regardless. He's into repairing small engines and apparently has a slew of machine tools; this could be mutually beneficial.

His most recent previous project was a 338-06, and he's very happy with it.

Greg

Last edited:
Greg,
If you need a set of pillars for the stock bedding job, I have a set that I found in my parts box a week or so ago. They are the aluminum pillars that have what looks like grease grooves for cast bullets in them. I'll even pay shipping to you if you can use 'em. PM me if you want them.

He's already purchased and installed pillars from Brownell's. He's pretty savvy mechanically, he just wants someone to watch over his first glassbedding job.

Much thanks for your kind and generous offer. Hang onto them and best fortune.

Greg

Hooboy, just saw the VA Cardiologist yesterday.

First, the event where the Defib fired? I was in full V-Tac and dying. The Defib saved my life, period. The cause appears to be a combination of stress and excess fluid retention. The use of Benedryl as a sleep aid may have been vaguely related in the fibrillation, and has been discontinued as of the following day. I am off canned foods, and my diet will only contain vegetables from fresh or frozen sources. Stress is supposed to be avoided.

Next, The Vegas event is being treated as a severe bronchial spasm due to extended inhalation of sub freezing air.

My Potassium level was quite low, a direct result of a former VA doctor taking my off my Eplerinone. I'm back on now. Otherwise, my meds remain unchanged.

I am being assigned to Pulmonary Medicine unit for full lung function testing, evaluation, and possible discretionary oxygen. The assignment of a BiPAP is also under consideration if testing indicates it can help.

Cardiac Rehab, 12 weeks of 3 sessions each, is recommended pending Pulmonary's approval.

My drinking is hereby limited to 2 mixed drinks at any session, a voluntary proviso.

I've been through some bad moments, in no small part because of my own stubborn attitude and some denial. Gotta work on that. I've gotten the "Note from the Landlord", and it's time to clean up my act.

Barring any unforeseen physical complications, the plans lead to a better life. The Rehab is like putting years of life back into the bank. I've been through it before, know what's key and know how to do it, and will start on my own, going easy until I can get into the supervised program.

Shooting will be a core pillar of my program, providing goals and lots of needed fresh air.

Greg

Last edited:
Greg, when you say "my diet will only contain vegetables from fresh or frozen sources. " you're also including the "processed vegetables" in the form of Roast Beef, Pork Tenderloin, and Chicken Thighs, right?

With the added Blackened Snapper once in a while, too. Of course. (keep up the good work, man.)

Quiet a plate full. Take care of yourself and reduce stress wherever possible. I know that is much easier said than done.

Sean, yes indeed; please pardon the omission. Oh heck, yes.

My meds do an outstanding job of keeping my cholesterol in check and my blood sugar too; so I can eat those diet choices.

My regimen has evolved over the years since "the big one" in 2004. It's become my routine, but new issues pop up occasionally.

Greg

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Greg

I wouldn’t know you if I passed you on the street probably, but I’ve seen your writing and comments for a quarter of my life. Family is tough and I’m sorry for the stress you experienced/are experiencing. Myself and plenty of others are happy to listen to a burden and offer a kind word. The world could be a better place if more would do it.

My anonymity is fairly intentional. I do not publish pictures at all (one exception here, back in the 2000's I sent in a pic of me shooting N/M prone with my M1A.

As for my gun writing, I figure that if I'm any good as a writer, pictures shouldn't be a requisite.

My life isn't like any other, but then neither is anyone else's either.

Greg

Greg

Prayers and best wishes.

Monday night was another night in the hospital. The same old, with a side helping of the current widespread mega-bronchitis. In around midnight, out by 10:00 AM, O2, antibiotics, and lots of intravenous potassium with a side of Prednisone, (Man, I hate it when it does that), 20ga in both arms. Ten days of Prednisone PO to follow.

Although I had the underlying stuff pretty much under control, I simply got overwhelmed. My Indian Doctor called me something in Hindi(?) that equates roughly to "Jackrabbit/Speedy Gonzalez" because of the way I bounce back (...I got that covered...).

If things go true to form, I can expect a relapse sometime within the next week, which I suspect is why I'm on the additional Prednisone. Recliner, blankets, Netflix.

Weaker, wiser, and forging onward. I'll be so damned glad when Spring rolls back around...

Meanwhile, back at The 'Hide...

Greg

and I'm milking a head cold for all it's worth :)

Hang in there Greg, need any good Netflix recommendations?

You have a O2 concentrator around the house for those bad spells?
A PSA Zeolite unit?

Doctor got you on any breathing treatments?

I had a complete Pulmonary Function test done by the VA Friday, following a Cardio consult with my VA Cardiologist the preceding Monday. I'm in the pipeline for a pulmonary consult, with discretionary O2 and Cardio-Pulmonary Rehab being strongly considered. This all hinges off the Pulmonary Function testing. But for now, no O2 available without a call to EMS.

I already use Spiriva, Symbicort, and Proair HFR. They help, but things have progressed in the last 15 years.

Question, it there any hazard from shooting while using O2? I don't ask such questions at the VA; some of them are OK about shooting, some are doubtful...

Netflix; yesterday was a recoup day, pure Netflix bingeing.

I can say with certainty that Annihilation was a complete mindf*ck. Don't waste your bandwidth.

I can also understand why Ascension was a single season series. Interesting plot kinks, but also pretty insipid.

Peaky Blinders, Marco Polo (even though the necessary third season got the axe); Frankenstein Diaries; they hold my imagination and attention. Altered Carbon is a real grabber, but it's a bit too raw for a GP household, so I watch it later at night. Ghost in the Shell so many times I've lost count.

Greg

Last edited:
Season 2 of the Punisher is available on Netflix now. I liked season one, hopefully 2 will be good.

I've been eyeing The Punisher series for a while now. Now that there's a second season available, it looks like it's time to start it.

Thanks,

Greg