• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Video Review Bushnell 4200 3-12X FFP

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    <span style="font-weight: bold">Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12X FFP Mil / Mil </span>

bushnell312x.jpg

Several months back we received the Bushnell 4200 Elite 3-12X FFP scope with mil dot reticle and 1/10th Mil adjustments.

Features from Bushnell Tactical :

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Features</span>

RainGuard® HD
    Fully multi-coated optics
    Magnum recoil-proof construction
    100% waterproof/fogproof/shockproof construction
    Dry-nitrogen filled
    .1 mil M.O.A. or finer fingertip, audible/resettable windage and elevation adjustment
    Side focus - 20yds to Inf
    Sunshade
    30mm tube
    Elite® Bullet-Proof Warranty
    "No Questions Asked" one- year replacement (U.S. only)*

<span style="font-weight: bold">The process... </span>

I started out with the scope mounting and using it at my home range in Byers, CO. This began with first mounting and zeroing it on a GA Precision 308 rifle. Immediately we boxed tested it using a minimum of 7 Mils to test it's adjustment range. The scope on a square range tracked 100% during each outing and using a 20MOA base on the rifle, had roughly 16 Mils of usable elevation.

I fired approximately 600 rounds of match grade 308 under this scope checking each time the reliability and tracking. From I returned to Rifles Only bringing the scope in my checked bagged. I gave it no special protection, or extra padding. It was simply placed in Kifaru large duffel and checked into baggage with little concern. The flight went from Denver to Houston to Corpus Christi and suffered no ill effects.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Rifles Only - Kingsville, TX </span>

At Rifles Only the scope was mounted on a GA Precision 308, this rifle the <span style="font-style: italic">"Hodge Lazer"</span> has recently gone to NIC Industries for a Cerakote finish along with a Manners T5 mini chassis. The rifles and stock was assembled upon its return and the scope was mounted and zeroed. The GAP action featured a NEAR MFG R35 base which gave the Bushnell 20 MIls of usable elevation, however it should be noted the rifle and scope combination only required 10.5 MIls to reach 1000 yards from the Rifles Only Tower.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">The Video Review</span> </span>

<object id="objVeeplePlayer" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="640" height="396" align="middle"><param name="width" value="640"/><param name="height" value="396"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="movie" value="http://www.veeple.com/swf/VeeplePlayer.swf?siteId=5GLGxNj8HEg%253D&videoId=d46838c4-83da-4930-80ec-df4935ca1afc&userId=&baseUrl=http://www.veeple.com/&showSpots=1&showViewBar=1&showTabBar=1&mute=0&spotScaleMode=maintainAspectRatio&autoPlay=0&allowAddComments=0&allowShare=1&allowEmbedding=1&allowFullscreen=1&allowRating=1&stopPlayingOnInteractiveClick=1&displayRelatedVideos=0&showWorm=0&showLogo=0&logoIcon=1&whiteLabel=1&showTabClickableObjects=1&showTabDetails=0&showTabComments=1&playerMode=player&playerWidth=640&playerHeight=396&isFlex=0&recordEvents=1&deploymentUrl=http://www.snipershide.com%20"/><param name="quality" value="high"/><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff"/><param name="menu" value="false"/><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><embed id="embVeeplePlayer" src="http://www.veeple.com/swf/VeeplePlayer.swf?siteId=5GLGxNj8HEg%253D&videoId=d46838c4-83da-4930-80ec-df4935ca1afc&userId=&baseUrl=http://www.veeple.com/&showSpots=1&showViewBar=1&showTabBar=1&mute=0&spotScaleMode=maintainAspectRatio&autoPlay=0&allowAddComments=0&allowShare=1&allowEmbedding=1&allowFullscreen=1&allowRating=1&stopPlayingOnInteractiveClick=1&displayRelatedVideos=0&showWorm=0&showLogo=0&logoIcon=1&whiteLabel=1&showTabClickableObjects=1&showTabDetails=0&showTabComments=1&playerMode=player&playerWidth=640&playerHeight=396&isFlex=0&recordEvents=1&deploymentUrl=http://www.snipershide.com%20" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="640" height="396" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" menu="false" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"><noembed><h1>Bushnell 4200 Elite 3-12X FFP </h1>

Bushnell, Rifle scope, Lowlight, Sniper, Sniper&apos;s Hide, Tactical </p>Veeple Interactive Video</noembed></embed></object>

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Observations not in the Video </span>

Prior to going to Rifles Only I did a video review of the Weaver Glam Slam Tactical. Many of the features found on the Weaver were present on the Bushnell -- meaning you can see they originated from the same place. However there are some key differences like the 30mm main tube, illuminated reticle, Front Focal Plane as well as a slightly brighter sight picture.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Glass</span>
    I liked the glass on the Bushnell. I thought for a sub $1000 scope it was very good. The Rain Guard HD makes the scope bright and positive with excellent target identification capabilities. Bushnell describes the Rain Guard Coatings as follows.

RainGuard® HD water-repellent lens coating
    Without it, you’re not ready. Thanks to RainGuard, a wet lens or a misguided breath that would fog conventional glass will never cost you a view. This patented, permanent, water-repellent coating causes moisture from rain, snow, sleet and condensation to bead up and scatter less light, so you get a clear, bright view when other optics would be rendered useless.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Reticle </span>

Because this is a Front Focal Plane scope it has the potential to be a very thick Mil Dot Reticle, this was not the case with the Bushnell. I actually found the subtension on the reticle to be very good. Definitely thinner than the Weaver which was a Second Focal Plane scope.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Conclusions</span> </span>

The Bushnell 4200 3-12X tracked very well. During the destructive testing done against the stock and Cerakoting the Bushnell took several hard hits, over pressure from the Tannerite and impacts most scopes would not normally suffer. Did the Bushnell always hold zero, no it did not. However it did track correctly allowing me to reestablish a zero and continue to use it reliably. The worst example of this was during the episode with the Tannerite. The scope took about 10 rounds to regain its wits and begin to group again. Once it did, it continued to track correctly and work as required by its mission. I checked the rifle, scope and stock and while the groups initially opened up, they soon returned to normal.

Because of the punishment, the pricing, and the Features, I think this scope did very well considering what it was put through. It had some hiccups, but nothing that was fixed with a few mils of adjustments and a couple of rounds to rezero. It was tough going, I was given free range to hurt the rifle and the scope was unfortunately along for the ride.

For more information:
    http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/tactical/

Re: Video Review Bushnell 4200 3-12X FFP

lowlight,

thanks for the thorough review. sounds like a very good scope for the money. also, i have been faithful to mcmillan but i think manners certainly deserves some business.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trigger Monkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I gotta ask was that the baseplate to the AI mag that flew off?</div></div>

yes, the Tannerite blew the AI mag apart, then I dented it on another take doing the Cerakote video part, during this I bent and pretty much ruined the AI magazine... I suppose I could try to hammer it square again, but it took alot, I retired it.

frank,

how do you think the SS10xHD would hold up to similiar use as the bushnell saw during this test? i really want one but if the bushnell is as durable and repeatable, i would prefer the illuminated reticle and 12x at the top end.

chuck

I personally like the SS better, but I honestly think these two are different enough to not really compete simply because they are slightly off the feature set.

I continue to use the same Super Snipers from the video I did over a year ago and I have been very happy with them.

Perfect. Thats the way you do it!

Thats how my rifle gets used. Not on purpose, but when im up in the hills, the last thing im worried about is denting my rifle or scope. Im more concerned about my own survival. If the bushnell can take that then come back for more, prefect, it fits the bill for a lot of people.

Chris

i will continue to look for a SSHD. thanks for your time.

chuck

Well I suppose all mags must come to an end at some point.

On the other hand I think it's great that some of the larger optics companies are starting to offer scopes that have features such as FFP reticles and mil adjustments that were once the domain of scopes that cost two or three times what this one does. It opens up a whole lot of good options for guys that are just starting to get into tactical precision rifle shooting but don't necessarily have the budget for a NF, USO, or S&B. I'm glad to see that these less expensive options can also take the abuse which is probably more than the average scope will ever see, it's a real confidence booster.

Thanks for the review Frank. Good to see the scope held up under rough treatment.

wow and i thought i was getting a good deal when i bought my bushnell, but i never would have guessed it would take that kinda beating and still function.

good review of a great budget ffp scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow and i thought i was getting a good deal when i bought my bushnell, but i never would have guessed it would take that kinda beating and still function.

good review of a great budget ffp scope. </div></div>

I have to agree, I had little hope that the bushnell would hold up to that kind of abuse!

Thanks for another great video guys!

(Never quite sure whether to give Frank all the credit or not, but it must take quite a bit to put one of these together, right?)

Good work Frank!

I have been satisfied with every Bushnell product I have used to date, so I found It to be of no suprise that you consider it to be a decent bit of gear.

Its nice to see that even after a nearby explosion this scope can still come back and continue on with minor adjustments.

I will recommend this scope to others
    smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow and i thought i was getting a good deal when i bought my bushnell, but i never would have guessed it would take that kinda beating and still function.

I'm sooooo glad I got mine instead of waiting on the PST's
    smile.gif
    It's been a great scope.It's as happy as a backup scope as it is a mainstay.

I hope Bushnell makes the 6-24x50 with more elevation and a .5 mil type reticle for 2011!!!

thanx a lot LL, now I may have to look into one of those bushnell scopes

Great review. I just ordered one for my PBR. What would be great though is if IOR would let Bushnell put the MP8 dot reticle in these scopes.

I just got one a couple days ago. Sighted it in at 100 yds(tracked well) and took it hunting today. Scope performed well in low light conditions IMO. I dig it so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow and i thought i was getting a good deal when i bought my bushnell, but i never would have guessed it would take that kinda beating and still function.

I'm sooooo glad I got mine instead of waiting on the PST's
    smile.gif
    It's been a great scope.It's as happy as a backup scope as it is a mainstay.

I hope Bushnell makes the 6-24x50 with more elevation and a .5 mil type reticle for 2011!!! </div></div>

I'm with you on this, I just bought one of these scopes and I also have a PST on pre order. I was going to order another PST to replace the Bushnell as well but after seeing this review I'm beginning to rethink that idea! Not to mention that gun in general. I don't see myself swinging any of my guns at any posts in the near future but I'm glad I know which parts will handle it now.

Thanks for the great review Frank I think this will really help the guys like me who can't afford the high dollar scopes but still need something that can handle all the elements if need be.

Great review. Nice to see a scope that works well and has the most desired features at an affordable price point. If it can handle all you threw at it, it should hold up damn good for the average shooter.

What base and rings are you using? I have the same scope but have yet to mount it.

The base was mentioned the video, on this particular Rifle a NEAR R35, but you can get away with any 20MOA base, and the rings, very easily recognized as Badgers.

Thanks, do you know what height Badgers?

Got my 3-12x44 today and am very happy with it. I had read that some were having trouble getting a good sight picture and that the eyepiece was very unforgiving but I did not experience this problem. Glass is nice and clear and easy on the eyes (mine at least). For a $600-700 FFP mil/mil optic its great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Walter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank,

What model number is that? I've googled Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12X FFP Mil / Mil " and can't find one for sale. </div></div>

The scope is a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12x 44mm with Illuminated Mildot reticle. Model # is <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold">423124F</span></span>.

I have one in stock if you want it. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Walter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does Bushnell offer a FFP with MIL/MIL in the 4.5X30? </div></div>
    Unfortunately no. None of the Elite 6500 line can be had in FFP. They do offer the 4200 6-24x 50mm in both FFP and SFP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Walter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6-24 FFP with mil adjustments? </div></div>

Yes, the Bushnell model # is <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold">426245F</span></span>

I thought I share my experience with my Bushnell 4200 3-12X FFP, as this thread was what helped me decide on buying it for my LR308 style AR.

First: Thank you very much for these threads!

- During my last cleaning session, the rifle, with scope mounted, decided to fall off my kitchen bench and hit the tile floor - a 3 foot drop
    sick.gif

- Everything looked fine - no rattle and no obvious marks, but I really wanted to verify that things still worked.

I finally made it up to the range today, although weather did not permit shooting further than 50y.

Looking at the results - 5 shot series, the scope and rifle is fine
    smile.gif

- I could not see well enough to center on the plain 4th target due to the mist.
    - As you can see from the previous markings, I did need to adjust it up 1 mil. But that is from a 100y zero, so I don't know if the zero actually changed.

Other general observations for my scope:
    - low weight is very nice on an .308 AR
    - it's a little tight to get behind, not too bad and better than some
    - the green turret markings don't match my vision, or maybe it's the light and yellow glasses. Regardless, I would have liked them white.
    - turret movement is fine, never changed on me
    - zoom is nice and easy
    - parallax works OK, but it's not like a Premier
    I like my Bushnell FFP!

IMG_0525.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ceylonc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Walter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6-24 FFP with mil adjustments? </div></div>

Yes, the Bushnell model # is <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold">426245F</span></span> </div></div>

How much elevation does this scope have? thanks -Brown

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrBrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ceylonc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Walter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6-24 FFP with mil adjustments? </div></div>

Yes, the Bushnell model # is <span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold">426245F</span></span> </div></div>

How much elevation does this scope have? thanks -Brown </div></div>

Mine has 12.9 mils total.

I have the 3-12 Bushnell FFP and have just had my rifle finished. So I'm ready to mount the scope and work up some initial loads. Was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the 3-12x vs. 6-24x? I have a 308 and intend to shoot it up to 1000yds. Would the 6-24x serve me better? Might consider trading someone for the 6-24x.

Concerning the 6-24FFP

It's not going to be easy getting the scope situated perfectly for dialing only because of lack of elevation and the loopy ballistics of a 308 if you don't mind dialing and holding over some then no problem.

I should just put this in my signature post.Use Burris Signature 30mm rings or the expensive Barret adjustable rings and it can be made to work.

ETA Your 3-12 is fine.Use it and you will see it does most everything well.

LL- what did you think of the illumination? is it too bright at the lowest setting?

got mine from natchez about 2 weeks ago and went to the range. i noticed that the scope was a little "tight" to get behind as some other reviewers mentioned and sent it back to natchez for an exchange. got the new one and same issue so i contacted bushnell and they told me to send it in to them for replacement. what happened was that after adjusting the fast focus eyepiece and parallax, my eye placement had to be dead nuts exactly center of the line of sight or the reticle would go blurry. this is something i had never seen before on other ffp scopes. i wonder if it is due to the location of the reticle illumination in the scope. other ffp illuminated scopes have the dial at the turrets... anybody else experience this or did i get a bad couple of scopes?

Does anyone know the subtensions for this reticle? I've got one, and I'm guessing at .2 for the dots but I'm not sure. What about the lines?