• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vietnam Tiger Stripe in Cerakote

SharpsNitro

Minuteman
Jan 22, 2013
Arizona
Just shipped this monster back to the owner today. We did his Barrett M82A1 in Vietnam Tiger Stripe camo using the following colors: Graphite Black, OD Green, Athlon Brown (custom mix to match the Athlon scope) and Mud Brown.

Pic 1.jpg
Pic 2.jpg
Pic 3.jpg
Pic 4.jpg
Pic 5.jpg

Nice. Cerakote is the shit IMO, tried Duracoat, what a wasted investment. I was able to recoup it, but still. Not much better than spray paint.

If that Cerakote is applied properly though, it's tough as shit. I bumped a metal stock on rough concrete one day, figured I marked it, chipped it, something, but the scratch literally wiped off. Don't know why the military isn't using it infantry wide because it keeps the rifles from "glowing black" under night vision too, especially with the gen 2 stuff.

Just curious, did you take the Cerakote class? It was $2k if IIRC. The guy that did such stellar work for me (and doesn't do it anymore!) took the class and said he learned a lot he wouldn't have expected. Detail stuff that makes a difference he said. He already did professional ceramic coatings on exhaust and did custom paint jobs and Cerakote was just something to add to his business. Worth mentioning anyway.

Your work looks awesome, he'll be pleased.

Reactions: gconnoyer
I’m taking the certification class in a couple of weeks. They have a year long wait list to get into it, I didn’t want to be idle for that wait and between advice from a friend that’s been doing it for years and the Cerakote Training Manual taught myself last summer.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Today I finished up another project for the same customer. This one is a Marlin 1895 in 45-70. I’m not sure whether to call this one Tadzilla or Mini Me.?

Attachments

• 73F012BB-1F1C-4C73-B4D1-DBFF740E69BA.jpeg
    73F012BB-1F1C-4C73-B4D1-DBFF740E69BA.jpeg
    673.5 KB · Views: 350
  • 48D23472-BD89-421F-9515-2735C9B215E0.jpeg
    48D23472-BD89-421F-9515-2735C9B215E0.jpeg
    712.9 KB · Views: 286
I love that camo pattern. That is an outstanding lock on the rifle!

Jmccracken1214,

We can definitely help you with your Bergara, PM or email me if you want to talk.

niteshooter,

I’m going to be redoing my AR SBR in this pattern. First I want to finish a stencil aide for ARs that reduces the time/effort to apply them around features like the forward assist and shell deflector.

For future jobs I’m thinking Glock FDE might be a good replacement for the custom mix of brown. We can keep doing the custom mix but the metallic content isn’t for everyone.

Scott,
love your work man.
Here's the Patriot I picked up from you last month.
Just need to have it bedded and barrel threaded for my SAS Titanium Can.

Attachments

• Patriot 1.png
    Patriot 1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 172
  • Patriot 2.png
    Patriot 2.png
    816.8 KB · Views: 163
So, what does it cost to have something like the Tiger Stripe pattern done on an AR-type rifle? (I didn't see this mentioned earlier in the thread. Forgive me if I missed something.) I assume cost is somewhat dependent on the number of colors and the pattern. Just trying to learn! Thanks!!

So, what does it cost to have something like the Tiger Stripe pattern done on an AR-type rifle? (I didn't see this mentioned earlier in the thread. Forgive me if I missed something.) I assume cost is somewhat dependent on the number of colors and the pattern. Just trying to learn! Thanks!!

Yes, cost is dependent on the number of colors. Most of the time is taken up by application of the stencils. For an AR it depends on if it’s the upper/lower, the upper/lower/handguard or the whole rifle. For the upper/lower/handguard the price would be $390.

Reactions: pilotjoe
Yes, cost is dependent on the number of colors. Most of the time is taken up by application of the stencils. For an AR it depends on if it’s the upper/lower, the upper/lower/handguard or the whole rifle. For the upper/lower/handguard the price would be $390.

Thanks for the info. Definitely going to consider doing something like this. (Just don't tell my wife!!) :)

It can be done. The pattern might need some simplification to accommodate the changing diameters though.

I just meant cerekoting in general, not really a pattern. I wasnt sure how that worked with prep and baking. Does the scope have to be disassembled?

I just meant cerekoting in general, not really a pattern. I wasnt sure how that worked with prep and baking. Does the scope have to be disassembled?

Sorry. Yes, you can Cerakote scopes without much drama. The air cure C-series can be used for single color jobs if you want to avoid the oven cure. If the scope can handle 150F, which most should, then you can use the H-series and go multiple colors.

To prep, all you need to do is make sure the surfaces are degreased, mask the places you don’t want to coat, scuff the area you are coating with Scotchbrite and you are ready to put down color. A big concern though is if coating the scope voids The warranty.

The C-series is part of their high temperature line. It’s not as durable as the oven cured line but can get you operating temperatures of over 2000F depending on the color. It’s great for suppressors or barrels where you are going to abuse them. The oven cured line gives you 500F temperature capability.

Cerakote has recently consolidated their websites so all of these products are easier to find (just go to www.cerakote.com). Now you don’t have to go to the clear or high temp sites to find those products.

Thanks.

I’ve got an AR in final cure right now with this pattern, this time I rotated the stripes 90 degrees and used a flatter black. Also recently finished up a Glock slide. I’ll post pics tomorrow after everything is reassembled.

And here are a couple more projects in tiger stripe. First is a Glock 27 that we did the slide on, we replaced the custom brown mix with Glock FDE. Next is an AR that had been camped with a rattlecan. This one we used Armor Black instead of Graphite Black.

Attachments

• 452CE2F1-5871-40E2-9E50-4226B2B604FA.jpeg
    452CE2F1-5871-40E2-9E50-4226B2B604FA.jpeg
    852.4 KB · Views: 668
  • 7C9F1A10-2134-440A-950A-17B0A97B587E.jpeg
    7C9F1A10-2134-440A-950A-17B0A97B587E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 619
  • 114BF605-3511-4508-B61F-651A94934B92.jpeg
    114BF605-3511-4508-B61F-651A94934B92.jpeg
    887.7 KB · Views: 634