• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex 1-4x24 pst viper

usmarinejim

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2011
PA
Does anyone have any comments? Bitches etc... I used the search and couldn't find anything specific. I'm mounting it on a HCS RECCE upper on a Noveske non-chainsaw lower.
Glass, retical, turrets etc... I'm either getting this optic or a leupold mk4 1.5-5. Your insight is appreciated.

I have one on a FAL (not a precision rifle by any means). No complaints at all. Turrets are positive and repeatable. Glass is very good. I use this rifle out to 500 yds on steel, with most shots between 1-300. Rifle is really a 2 moa rifle, but the vortex 1-4 makes this a fun gun to shoot. I had a 4-16 on it initially, found no practical difference when I put the smaller scope on it.
If your rifle is a moa rifle and you really want to hit small targets you might want a bit more power.

I don't own this particular Vortex product, but I am happy with my Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 that I own (the nicer version, with Adjustable Objective feature). Have had it mounted up for a month or so and it works much better than the scope that it replaced. I think you'd be pleased with the PST line. I plan on buying their 6-24x50 Viper PST for my next rifle because of how much I like the Diamondback.

Just my $0.02 worth ... YMMV.

Appreciate it... I got the rifle because I wanted to bridge the gap between CQB and range (when I say range with a 5.56 I mean nothing past 500). So I was thinking the 1-4 would be perfect with out spending money I don't have on a 1-8 or something to that affect.

Just wasn't sure if I could get away with a vortex 1-4 or if I should spend 2-300 more and get the mk4.

I have 3 of them, 1x on a 6.8 LTR, 1x on a AAC BO Mod 7 rifle, and another on a 5.56 SPR build. perfect for the ranges I am using them in, clear glass, positive adjustments.

I have one on a scar17 and I love it. If I had to complain about one thing about the scope it would be that the reticle is very fine. I find it hard to use hold overs with it it's so fine.

Good to go. Thanks. I have a night force 5.5-22 on my custom .260 with a npr1, that reticle is thin as well. So I hear ya. I think I'm going to snag one up and give it a try. If I don't like, you'll see it in the "for sale" section in a week or so after I receive it.

Hey usmarinejim,

What part of PA are you in? I have a Viper PST 1-4x24 mrad you'd be welcome to look thru before you buy one online.

I was just looking at one of these very recently, but ended up not going with it. Primary reason is due to the size of the reticle, it is too small. Against flat, single-colored targets, it is great. Look through it at some brush/trees, etc...and you'll start to see that it is just too small, and damn near impossible to discern with such backgrounds. Taking shots at a decent distance using the reticle took some effort as a result of its size. I came to the conclusion that the reticle itself is not truly useable in that regard.

The FFP 1-4/6 scopes improve this flaw. Save a couple extra bucks and head that direction, IMHO.

In the very least, try to look through one before spending the dough.

Lastly, see these posts about it, which actually addresses the same issues I did...scroll down for several "through the scope" pics:

Firearm ReviewsVortex Viper PST 1-4x24 | Firearm Reviews
Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 Review (picture heavy) - AR15.COM

Having briefly used a PST 1-4 and now owning several 1-6 scopes, I think the premium for the 1-6s are well worth it.
My experience is that with the proper reticle SFP is a better configuration.
When Vortex designed their Razor HD 1-6 based on lessons learned from their FFP Razor 1-4, they made it SFP.
Why?
Any reticle hash marks are too small to be of any use at 1x, and 1x is almost always used in a CQB scenario where holds are unnecessary but the illumination advantage of SFP is huge (36 times the light as the same scope in FFP at 1x). In practically any situation requiring more magnification, the shooter will opt for max mag, where the hash marks are visible and subtend properly.
I like the BTR reticles in the Bushnell SMRS in SFP (I tried the same in FFP and hated it)... fast target acquisition, adequate illumination for daytime use, and an uncluttered FOV. I have an SWFA 1-6 which, although it is FFP, has a sensible reticle that works both in CQB at 1x and for medium distance at 6x. Between the 2 I prefer the Bushnell, which is a bit more expensive but is 1/4 pound lighter, has a larger FOV and slightly less distortion at 1x. Unfortunately both are at least double what the PST will cost you.

One option I'm investigating is the Minox SFP 1.2-6x24, and I'll have one shortly.
SFP and extremely light (the non-illuminated one I have on order is 12 ounces!) but lacking an aiming circle or horseshoe, unfortunately.
The illuminated tactical version (with a BDC reticle) is less than $800 and under 15 ounces.
My experience with Minox optics has been very positive so far, as the quality of their Wetzlar, Germany roots (down the street from another well known premium German optics company) is readily apparent through their glass, and they also offer support like Vortex's no-fault warranty.
The 1.2x low end might concern some of you but I suspect that they are reporting the mathematical magnification which is required for a 1x scope to actually appear 1x (Zeiss does the same thing).
At $360 shipped (CLNY show demo) with a non-illuminated German no.4 reticle it's not much of a gamble as it can always go on my .22LR trainer.

I will report my impression of the scope.

Last edited:
I'm in slippery rock. 724-421-7263 if that's close to you rspeer

Eh, I'm near Harrisburg; a bit far. FWIW, I agree with the others that the reticle is pretty thin. It really would be best if you could look thru one before you buy. Good luck with your purchase.

I think I'm just going to snag one up. Screw it, it's hard to beat the price point for the quality that I've heard/read about. If I don't like it, I'll put it on the hide for someone else to enjoy.

I liked my pst 1-4 as well and had I mounted it on something like a 6.5 grendel or 6.8 spc I might've kept it. I was searching for a fast cqb optic switching over from RDS FOR MY .223 and 300 blk. Since the 300blk is my primary brush gun I found the reticle too thin for fast acquisition in the brush. I ended up going with the mtac and have plans of picking up an xtr as well. For me, in my hunting scenarios and 3 gun stuff, the mtac provided a bit more contrast for my eyes. If more precision is your game then the pst is great.

Precision and long range is more my thing with CQB being an after though. But u still want the weapon to be set up for both.

Don't get me wrong, the pst is plenty fast. I just decided the mtac reticle was faster. The weapon it's mounted on only has a max range of 300 yds so it suites that role perfectly for me. The biggest problem for precision is the main dot is almost 2.5 moa. Though for close-intermediate range hunting, it still gets the job done.

It’s a nice optic, but I do not find the illuminated TMCQ (MRAD) reticle suitable for my needs at 1x.

I have one on a Tavor;I love this scope.Illuminated MOA reticle is easy to go from 25/50 yards to 100Y very fast.

I have been running this scope for 2 years, I had it on a suppressed cz 22 for a while and loved it there. I have since moved it to my 3gun rifle and had beat the piss out of out and it keeps ticking.

Have two of these on 5.56 uppers. Illumination is useless in sunlight, and I've been bitten trying to use the reticle for holdovers and leads on movers on the wrong setting a few times when I was doing things in a hurry. Going to replace them with 1-6x or 1-8x FFPs when someone releases one with a properly designed non-BDC reticle and daylight visible illumination.

I find the big black reticle easy to pick up for speed shooting like in 3gun. I personally am not a fan of FFP in low power scopes like these. I do think I'm going to get gen2 1-6 razor and put the pst on a backup rifle tho