• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex 1-8x24 strike eagle first impression

rcwhat

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2017
Picked up the new 1-8 eagle yesterday. Looks pretty nice. Reticle is bright and usable, turrets have nice crisp clicks, and eyebox is decent. My only gripe is it's not exactly a true 1x but pretty damn close. Hoping to get to the range this weekend to put it through its paces.

Attachments

• photo54995.jpg
    photo54995.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 40
  • photo54996.jpg
    photo54996.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 40
I'll be looking forward to hearing about how it does at the range.

It's eventually going on a 16" AR range beater but I'm going to throw it on my scar17 this weekend to see if it can take some recoil abuse.

If you're using the inside of your house as a reference for it being 1x, it won't be. No magnified 1x scope I've ever looked through is 1x up close.

You need to be looking at something farther away.

I would be interested to know what loads the BDC reticle is best for. Fast and light or heavy and slower? Or that it really doesn't matter for the intended purpose of this scope. I guess I could look up the ballistic arcs of the different 556 rounds.

BTW, sorry for starting the other thread on this issue. I didn't see this one when I posted. This seems like a good place to collect info on this scope.
Thanks.

I would be interested to know what loads the BDC reticle is best for. Fast and light or heavy and slower? Or that it really doesn't matter for the intended purpose of this scope. I guess I could look up the ballistic arcs of the different 556 rounds.

BTW, sorry for starting the other thread on this issue. I didn't see this one when I posted. This seems like a good place to collect info on this scope.
Thanks.

The reticle works with either but it might not be exact. For the .223 55grn bullets the bdc is right on. For the 75grn with a 200 yard zero my lines line up at 275, 375, 475, and 575. As long as you have your data for your round used you can find where the bdc suntensions line up to the reticle.

A BDC on that scope isn't a bad thing as like the 1-6x SE and the JM-1 reticle in the Razor II 1-6x scope I am sure it will be very popular in shooting sports like 3 gun. The BDC on these scopes make for fast accurate hits. Maybe in the future they will add a mil or MOA.

Thanks for the info I'm looking to put one of those on my 3 gun rifle

Do you have calipers? I'd like to make a throw lever for this scope if it's any different than the standard Strike Eagle mag ring, or if lever location relative to any protrusion on the mag ring needs to change.

Alternatively we'll make you a free throw lever if we can borrow your scope before you mount it :)

A BDC on that scope isn't a bad thing as like the 1-6x SE and the JM-1 reticle in the Razor II 1-6x scope I am sure it will be very popular in shooting sports like 3 gun. The BDC on these scopes make for fast accurate hits. Maybe in the future they will add a mil or MOA.

Exactly.