• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex AMG 1-10 LPVO

Vortex AMG 1-10x24mm FFP EBR-9 Super Short Riflescope AMG-11098​

It’s not about adjusting out parallax error, it’s about focus. Even with a 24mm objective, when using 10x, things get out of focus at farther and closer distances pretty quickly.
Yes understood on the fine tuning. For how I use a LPVO I simply don't have time (or want to) be fiddling with parallax.
I would be ok with it on an MPVO. Others may feel differently.

Reactions: FatBoy
Looks like it wasn’t meant to be common knowledge. Linked page is dead this morning.

I had a hunch about that, which is why I posted a screenshot as well as the link in case the link went dead.

Or their phones and email blew up this morning for a product they don't have much info about yet, so they pulled the page down for now.

The link showed available for backorder yesterday, but I did not try to add it to my cart and check out.

I'll wait and see what the reviews are like. For the way I use my shorty AR I'm very happy with the razor 1-6 that's currently on it, but admit I am tempted by a 1-10 for more mag for the longer shots-- provided it doesn't give up any performance at 1x or make the eyebox less forgiving compared to the 1-6. Ilya's NDA limited comments hint that the AMG 1-10 is pretty damn good though. For as infrequently as I shoot my shorty AR though it's going to be hard to justify the new 1-10 AMG even if it hits 50-55% off MSRP during a memorial day sale...

Reactions: PappyM3
It's like a Rolex, not everyone is supposed to have it.
Only because Rolex artificially restricts their inventory.

Though, you do have a point as this seems to be an artificially raised price. … or we’re just seeing the fallout of several years of massive inflation on an American made optic.

Only because Rolex artificially restricts their inventory.

Though, you do have a point as this seems to be an artificially raised price. … or we’re just seeing the fallout of several years of massive inflation on an American made optic.

I was in the jewelry and diamond business including having a Rolex account for many years before I sold my business to a larger corporation. Rarity and exclusivity creates desire and value. There's an entire market for it. It's a very simple business model; people want what they can't have. If you can afford it and you want it, you will simply buy it. It's not for everyone, especially if you can't afford it.

Reactions: rydah
Oof that’s $1000 for each oz less this weights than my Razor G3 1-10 cost me. I’m willing to pay more for lightness but this, this is a bit steep if it’s only the lightness that’s been improved.

I was in the jewelry and diamond business including having a Rolex account for many years before I sold my business to a larger corporation. Rarity and exclusivity creates desire and value. There's an entire market for it. It's a very simple business model; people want what they can't have. If you can afford it and you want it, you will simply buy it. It's not for everyone, especially if you can't afford it.

But people who want and can afford Rolexes can’t buy them, because Rolex artificially limits it. There are tons of people, who can easily afford Rolex, who avoid Rolex because of their crappy policies regarding wait lists and artificially limiting inventory.

Their MSRPs and actual prices at dealers is fairly reasonable. It’s Rolex’s policies, and the resulting grey market and flippers that make Rolex unattainable.

But people who want and can afford Rolexes can’t buy them, because Rolex artificially limits it. There are tons of people, who can easily afford Rolex, who avoid Rolex because of their crappy policies regarding wait lists and artificially limiting inventory.

Their MSRPs and actual prices at dealers is fairly reasonable. It’s Rolex’s policies, and the resulting grey market and flippers that make Rolex unattainable.
That is true because Rolex discontinues products right away when a market / demand still exists. It's a perfect recipe for a gray market.

During corona they shut the factories down so it created a bigger demand. Now that the factories are open the supply has been dwindling in

Rolex is an Everyman watch you guys…y’all know that right?
The MSRP of the Rolex Submariner isn’t crazy. ~$9k. For some reason people are averse to spending money on a watch that will last you a lifetime and can be passed onto their children, but don’t bat an eye at spending tens of thousands of dollars on their rifles, night vision with sensors that have a life-span… or the latest golf clubs… or…

It’s not an everyman’s watch, but if dealers would actually sell them, they could be bought for relatively reasonable money and most middle class people could easily save up a little for one. We’re not talking Pateks, A. Lange & Söhne, or Ressence here.

But, this thread’s not about watches.

If the scope is dual focal plane like the S&B and lacks distortion like my new S&B short dot dual, then it will be worth $4k.

I also agree with the point that what we really want to see is the optic Vortex developed for the XM5 program: optic + rangefinder, etc.

Reactions: jh2785
If the scope is dual focal plane like the S&B and lacks distortion like my new S&B short dot dual, then it will be worth $4k.

I also agree with the point that what we really want to see is the optic Vortex developed for the XM5 program: optic + rangefinder, etc.
It's not. It's FFP. The ad had it as FFP

Reactions: PappyM3

Where is your distortion? When on CC I asume? I get some when on CC but I never use that mag level anyway. I love this damn thing from 5x-8x though. Not sure it can be beat there.

Reactions: Bakwa
Where is your distortion? When on CC I asume? I get some when on CC but I never use that mag level anyway. I love this damn thing from 5x-8x though. Not sure it can be beat there.
My S&B has ZERO distortion. Sorry if I didn’t make that clear. I see no distortion CC-8x on my S&B.

My point was I can see paying $4k for this Vortex AMG 1-10x if it is superior to the Vortex Razor Gen III, has a dual focal plane like the S&B short dot dual, and lacks any “fish eye” distortion on 1x. I also want to see a crisp picture on 6-8x. Very few of these 1-8 and 1-10x LPVOs do both ends well. There are always compromises. For $4k, it better be Short Dot Dual good.

Reactions: Bakwa and jh2785
It won’t be, Eurooptic puts the MSRP or whatever that really high prices and then they commonly sell them for less than that on a regular basis. I’m thinking it might be more like 2500 - 3k

Last edited:
It won’t be, your optic puts the MSRP or whatever that really high prices and then they commonly sell them for less than that on a regular basis. I’m thinking it might be more like 2500 - 3k

If the 6k MSRP on the euro optic page was correct, it will probably be 33.3% off MSRP / 4k everyday advertised/selling street price, mil/le/vet everyday price a bit less than that, and 50-55% off MSRP ($2700-3000) during the special sales a few times a year for mil/le/vet.

Those percentages back of MSRP are pretty much standard Vortex pricing scheme for the higher end product lines, but it all depends on that $6k MSRP on the initial leaked euro optic page being correct.

When the euro optic page was briefly up you could add it to your cart to backorder for $4k, and less than that if you have mil/le/vet credentials on your account. I added it to my cart both ways to see what the mil/le/vet discount was, and it followed the normal Vortex discount percentage.

At this point, we have to wait and see and get a confirmation on pricing. Being an AMG and probably made in the USA my feeling is that $6k MSRP might be correct...

Reactions: TheOE800
My S&B has ZERO distortion. Sorry if I didn’t make that clear. I see no distortion CC-8x on my S&B.

My point was I can see paying $4k for this Vortex AMG 1-10x if it is superior to the Vortex Razor Gen III, has a dual focal plane like the S&B short dot dual, and lacks any “fish eye” distortion on 1x. I also want to see a crisp picture on 6-8x. Very few of these 1-8 and 1-10x LPVOs do both ends well. There are always compromises. For $4k, it better be Short Dot Dual good.
Gotcha and yes, I shouldn't have used distortion either, I have none of that, it's just that when on CC it seems LESS than 1x. More like .95x or something.

Gotcha and yes, I shouldn't have used distortion either, I have none of that, it's just that when on CC it seems LESS than 1x. More like .95x or something.
Use the diopter to adjust what you're looking at. Going to depend on how far and what you're looking at as well

Reactions: TheOE800
Use the diopter to adjust what you're looking at. Going to depend on how far and what you're looking at as well
I did, but I optimize diopter for the high end since I piggyback a RDS. Likely most of my issue.

The parallax changes to 7 meters on the CC mode. Normally it is 100 meters. Hence, that’s why it looks like 0.95x magnification. I don’t believe it goes below 1x, like some of the odd Swarovski and Zeiss LPVOs do for hunting.

Regardless, hopefully we hear more soon on the AMG 1-10x. The Brits seemed to like it for them to pay $$$ for the scope + what is essentially a SR-15 and QDC suppressor with vent holes. Given their notoriously tight budgets, I am shocked they paid that much money for new rifles. Consider the meager budget they had with the LMT MWS rifles using ACOG 6x scopes of all things.

Reactions: TheOE800 and Bakwa
… The Brits seemed to like it for them to pay $$$ for the scope + what is essentially a SR-15 and QDC suppressor with vent holes. Given their notoriously tight budgets, I am shocked they paid that much money for new rifles. ….
It’s only going to their SOF and they’re only buying ~1,600 of them. We’ll see if they exercise their option for more.

I will be curious to hear how it goes for you. I think you'll be surprised at how significant(for the end user) diopter adjustment is on 1x scopes.

While adjusting diopter on higher mag scopes we are generally looking at reticle focus. What we don't notice is the magnification component that diopters have. On high mag scopes we may not have the diopter set just right to our eye and a side effect is that our parallax numbers won't line up on our parallax adjustment which is not a huge deal. It doesn't really affect the optical performance in the grand scheme.

On a 1x scope it's a much bigger deal not having the diopter just right and it's because of the magnification component of the diopter. If we don't adjust the diopter with the scope set to 1x to a true visual 1x using one of the processes I mentioned in this thread. We(the end user) can end up with a 1x scope that may be presenting an image that is well below 1x or well above 1x depending which direction the diopter is improperly adjusted to your eye.

If you want to visually see the magnification component of the diopter adjustment there is a quick experiment most peoples eyes can do if they have a 1x scope(any mfg's 1x scope)-

With the mag ring set to 1x turn the diopter all the way in. Viewing through the scope you will see that the magnification is now well below 1x. Then back it out a good bit and you'll see the image is now magnified above 1x. Now, somewhere in between these two points lies the 1x (no magnification) diopter setting we are looking for.
I hope I explained that last sentence well enough. An easier way to say might be- if we know we can get below 1x with diopter adjustment and we know we can get above 1x. It's pretty safe to assume that true 1x is in there somewhere between those two points.
thanks for explaining. I'm going to make sure mine is set right when I get home.

Reactions: Scott_at_Vortex

I can say this: if the Shorty AMG 1-10x ever makes it to a civilian market, I will be running one or two.

Even at $4k a pop? And when the March 1-10 DFP is over $1k cheaper?

Since I am not at all confident it will be released to civilians, it is more of a tease than anything else.

ILya
If you can comment; do you believe the barrier to the optic making it to the civilian world is contractual or that the price would be more than Vortex thinks the market would bear?

Thank you.

Reactions: Chargerguy
The big question I have is if you would choose this over the S&B Dual CC?
Dual CC is hot garbage IMO. But unless you have looked through the new AMG… who knows. It’s definitely interesting.

Looks like these 1-10 AMGs are available as a package with a DD rifle at Euro. Still over paying even if you actually wanted the rifle… but it’s a little closer to reality than the first price we saw on euro.

Attachments

• IMG_8758.jpeg
    IMG_8758.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 134
Dual CC is hot garbage IMO. But unless you have looked through the new AMG… who knows. It’s definitely interesting.

Looks like these 1-10 AMGs are available as a package with a DD rifle at Euro. Still over paying even if you actually wanted the rifle… but it’s a little closer to reality than the first price we saw on euro.
Maybe we will see the optic announced at Shot 2024 and EO is helping Vortex "stir the pot" a little.

Reactions: Bakwa and TheOE800
Are those super short turrets on the AMG locking some way?

I am waffling between the Dual CC, K18i-2 and now this optic. I respect your opinion on the matter and you seem to be the only one that has used this is real life. I have watched a lot of your videos and appreciate the objective point of view.

The Dual CC was at the top of my list but that price was the big down side. I would buy this combo just for the optic if I had good feedback or any reviews at all that were available online. At this point its hard to overpay for something with literally no info on it. If you could only choose 1 of those 3 optics at this point which one would it be?

The big question I have is if you would choose this over the S&B Dual CC?
That depends on the application. Optically, S&B is likely a better scope. AMG is still very good, slightly lighter and three inches shorter.

It is very difficult to design short scopes with high erector ratios and good performance.

Three inch difference in overall length is a huge deal.

ILya

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have some familiarity with this scope, but can't discuss any details (for obvious reasons).

I can say this: if the Shorty AMG 1-10x ever makes it to a civilian market, I will be running one or two.

ILya
Would you take this over the Dual CC? Thought I was responding to you but was responding to someone else's post.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have some familiarity with this scope, but can't discuss any details (for obvious reasons).

ILya

So out of curiosity how does it compare to the Gen 3 1-10? I have one but it must not work with my eye as I can’t get it to be particularly clear. If I’m having that issue with the Gen 3 would the AMG most likely have a similar issue?

Reactions: Bakwa