• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Crossfire 4-16x50 AO ??????

Re: Vortex Crossfire 4-16x50 AO ??????

We do inspect our scopes right here in WI before we send them out. I don't think that's something that everyone does, especially companies that specialize exclusively in scopes in the Crossfire's price range. So, that is one difference you will see with Vortex.

In addition, I don't think that anyone else in this price range backs up their product with a warranty like we have. That warranty is a reflection of the confidence that we have in our products as well as our desire to make sure our customers are always take care of, weather that be the Crossfire or the Razor.

That's not to say that the Crossfire is built as well as the Razor. In fact, there is a significant difference, but for the money I think the Crossfire does really well against the competition.

We travel regularly to our factories overseas to make sure that our standards are being met to minimize the chance of anyone getting a bad scope, and if we see problems happening we are very quick to correct them and make sure that the customer is always taken care of.

I think all of these things put the Crossfire a cut above similar priced scopes. Many of the "other guys" in this price range pretty much look at customers as a number and are in it to just sell as many as possible, with no thought to quality. We just aren't like that because we want to make sure our customers are happy.

Thanks for the thorough and quick response Sam. It does sound as though you have taken the necessary steps to ensure a quality product reaches the consumer and that they are taken care of as an owner.

Im looking forward to receiving my Crossfire, and will post a review when I take it out to the range.

Needless to say, without even laying hands on one of your scopes Im already very satisfied with your customer service.

No problem. I'm looking forward to the review. Let me know if you have any questions or need anything. Thanks!

-Sam

They work great when you are adjusting door closures in a commercial construction condition. You can allow the door to close naturally to make sure the tension is not too high and stick the scope between the door jamb and the door leaf. This allows you to adjust the tension screws on the closure with an allen wrench and make sure the door meets ADA requirements. If the door closes too tight and crushes the scope, just back out the closure screw until the door does not crush the scope. Very nice item for the price.

Sam,

Does Vortex's guarantee extend to the UK?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter79</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sam,

Does Vortex's guarantee extend to the UK?

79 </div></div>

Yes, absolutely. If you have a warranty issue our UK distributor will take care of it for you so you don't have to ship back to the USA.

-Sam

would so buy that from swfa if they shipped to the uk...

I just picked up a 30mm 6-24x50 crossfire up at a sportsmans wharehouse for $199.99, It was the first I'd seen one and I was already purchasing a tactical rimfire that I needed new glass for.

I was looking for a budget scope with certain features, so one I saw a $200 scope with a 30mm tube and mil reticle, I jumped. My first impression was that it is worth the cost. It's simply hard to find a sub $300 scope with any sort of graduated reticle, that much travel and magnification. It would make a great budget scope for a not so serious platform like a .223 varmint rig. The other feature about it that I like for what I'm using it for..... well the AO will focus down to just under 10y. The next step up is 15y. Then at the top of the adjustment it goes to 150y and then to infinity. This scope focuses at some very close ranges, which is awesome for a tactical .22 or dry firing in the house, but not so much for serious long range application.. more on that below.

That being said, it is only a $200 scope and not to be compared to my USO, so here's the skinny on why I dont think it should be considered as a serious long range option.

At first touch I noticed for a scope this size, it is very light. Feels like it's very thin skinned if you will. Which is ok if you're into saving weight like I am for this build. But I wont be beating the shit out of it and expect it to take it like I do my USO. Putting on the BC cap to the sunshade made me feel like I might egg the damn thing..not that I have.

The clicks are very audible and solid, which is great. What's not so great is the fact that there's almost 3 clicks of play in the knob before the thing actually clicks. This makes it hard to keep track of where I'm actually at, unless I an super vigil about turning the knob back a certain way every time I click up or down. Not cool. I'm going to try to not use them if I can help it and rely on the reticle.

AO focus is kinda finicky. Like mentioned above, it is great at focusing at some really close ranges...great. I was out with the g/f getting her to shoot my .308/ USO out to 1000yds this w/e and I was using the crossfire to spot for her. With the focus at infinity I couldn't really focus on anything out past 6-700 on magnification above 12ish. It's not enough to make the scope "unusable" at extended ranges, you'll get a hit I suppose, but it doesn't quite focus at those ranges or the higher magnification. It just seems like this scope is made for plugging deer within 300yds which is ok if that's what it's made for. Just seems like a waste of magnification, but hey I could have bought one with less. It is after all a little bit of overkill on a tactical .22.

What I should have done is bought the same thing in a little less magnification like a 4-16x50 and illum. Buy that one if you're needing something for a trainer. That's the one that would be titties on this rifle.

All this being said, I have to mention I have only sighted this in and today I will be doing some load testing and what not. I have not tested this scope's tracking, reliability, or box tested at all. I will also check the reticle subtention and all that shit while I'm at it, so I'll try to remember and report back my findings to this thread, and any other shit I think up.

All in all this is a nice budget option. I actually wish I had started out with something like this for long range than the Nikon buckmaster that I paid around $350 for. This has way more interesting features at not quite half the cost. Of course I dont need to mention the outstanding warranty and customer service that this glass comes with.

OK, so I got this thing out again today to take a serious look at it. This is the first time it's been mounted up and ready to roll. I was testing several brands and types of match ammo in the new .22, so once I found that eley shot the best, I went on to a tracking and box test.

The scope tracked and returned reliably having put 36 MOA of clicks into it and what not. The focus problem that I was having this w/e on not being able to focus out at 1000yds? Well that's kinda solved. Turns out that the markings on the obj. don't anywhere match up to what range I'm trying to focus on. No biggie, but here's what else didn't match up..
Now the website and my literature that came with this scope both claim that the power setting for correct reticle subtention is 14X. I hand drew out a grid to test this. I put mil-dots on paper at a spacing of 1.800" and MOA marks at a spacing of .523" and placed this at 50y. The scope correctly subtends at 16 power... not 14.. and not what my choice would have been for this scope, 12x...
You missed an opportunity for a neat feature on this scope Vortex. On a 6-24x you have a lovely 1-4 ratio which would have been awesome if the scope subtended at 12x because at min power one mill would be 2 and at max power a mil would actually be a half mil.. Would have worked out nicely that way, but no... it subtends at 16.. oh well wasn't gonna range out PDs anyway, but would have been nice to spot with as I was doing today.
Also the play in the turrets wasn't as bad as I thought. There's really only about one click of play in there. I didn't have a problem returning to zero or loosing track. so no really biggy..

All in all, I'm still happy with this purchase and I think this will be a great piece to have on a rimfire or lighter small action type rig.

I just moved my Viper to another rifle, and picked up a 6-24 Crossfire to replace it on my Mosin-Nagant sporter. The one inch tube model is on closeout for $100- so not much to lose if it doesn't work out. It'll be interesting to see if it can hold up to that hard-kicking round without blowing the reticle to pieces. I'll find out this weekend...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just moved my Viper to another rifle, and picked up a 6-24 Crossfire to replace it on my Mosin-Nagant sporter. The one inch tube model is on closeout for $100- so not much to lose if it doesn't work out. It'll be interesting to see if it can hold up to that hard-kicking round without blowing the reticle to pieces. I'll find out this weekend... </div></div>

What's the verdict?

Went thru 3 of them Crossfires in my .308 Winchester PSS and the knob adjustments moved in all 3 under recoil......I still keep one on my .22 lr 40X though.