• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Vortex Impact 4000 Rifle/Rail mounted Range finder???

You can erase it and add another one; and save all that money.

i m learning here too and dealing with same issue and possible solution. I tap the person silhouette in upper left corner on app that brings me to my ACCOUNT page. scroll down and tap MANAGE RIFLE under the SERVER MANAGEMENT heading. I have 17 profiles including the 10 presets.
tap the Menu on upper left and choose SUPPORT. It should display a page that starts with HELLO(your registered email) and goes into detail. hope this helps(everyone)
I was able to delete some profile from the device going through that profile menu/server settings/manage rifles but had to go into the rifle and press the delete button rather than using the trash can icon on the previous screen. Unfortunately that did not clear up slots on the unit it simply removed them all and o had less spots to edit. Ended up resetting unit to restore all slots. All of this should be some minor software/firmware tweak.

Vortex-there are 3 easy things I think would be great to see in a software update.

1. Brighter visible laser, turn the juice up a bit.

2. On the Geoballistic app, have the ability to send or share rifle profiles between people who are using the app. This would help with team matches.

3. Have the ability on the remote switch to power up the unit and start ranging. Like a triple click or long press and hold.
Hello NHPiper,

1. Brighter visible laser, turn the juice up a bit. Would absolutely love to, but we have to stay within laser safety classification.

2. On the Geoballistic app, have the ability to send or share rifle profiles between people who are using the app. This would help with team matches. You can do this with the pro version of GB which you get with the Impact once you connect and create account.

3. Have the ability on the remote switch to power up the unit and start ranging. Like a triple click or long press and hold.
reat feedback. I'll go over our reasoning briefly- We agree, this would definitely be nice, but it would be a constant power drain leading to changing batteries often. The reason being that the LRF's bluetooth would have to constantly be searching for the remote.

Thank you for the feedback. We are always looking to improve anything we can. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you
Scott

Got my mounted up and I'm headed out to an 1100 yard range this morning. It's sitting on a 6-5 bolt gun.

Made the mistake of creating all of my rifle profiles in geoballistic and not doing it under the folder for the range finder. Had to recreate them all. It was easy to get the app data to line up with my kestrel. I basically trued all of the data by selecting the same distance that I trued my kestrel at (1000yds for my 6.5CM), and then entering the dial from my Kestrel. Winds up spitting out the same data. Oh man, sorry about that, I will load a quick video on how to do that and edit this post asap. Essentially, in the top righthand corner of the rifle screen in the app there is a "sort" button. Hit that, then you can drag and drop to any file you want.

I didn't tighten down the bolts with a torque wrench, but I did it by hand and then created a witness marks with a paint pen. Pulling the unit on and off and tightening back to the witness marks shows that it returns to zero.

It does not hold a relative zero when switching between guns. More to come on this. My 6.5 has a set of badger rings with their diving board, not a one-piece mount. When I put it on a spuhr mount with a diving board, the unit was several mils high and several mils at 100 yds. I'm going to try the same thing with the badger C1 mounts that I have and the night force mounts, all which have diving boards. Different mounts sit in slightly different ways. There is really no way to account for switching mounts.

I believe the difference is because the spuhr Mount is 0moa which is adding 3+ mils to the laser elevation compared to a 20moa mount or base. Everything is canted the same on the mount. Its just a function of different heights,manufactures, how your rings are tightened, etc....
Hopefully some of the bold print helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
Sort profile gif.gif

Last edited:
Hello NHPiper,

1. Brighter visible laser, turn the juice up a bit. Would absolutely love to, but we have to stay within laser safety classification.

2. On the Geoballistic app, have the ability to send or share rifle profiles between people who are using the app. This would help with team matches. You can do this with the pro version of GB which you get with the Impact once you connect and create account.

reat feedback. I'll go over our reasoning briefly- We agree, this would definitely be nice, but it would be a constant power drain leading to changing batteries often. The reason being that the LRF's bluetooth would have to constantly be searching for the remote.

Thank you for the feedback. We are always looking to improve anything we can. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you
Scott
Really appreciate that reply Scott! I will have to figure out how to upgrade the pro version. I had the paid version prior, so not sure if that is the same.

Wasn't sure if the laser was still a 0.7m laser.
When it is set on the ballistic mode, does it automatically pull the environmentals from the unit? Or do you have to always link to a kestrel or geoballistic? Not talking wind data

It would have been nice if they included a free upgrade with the cost of the unit. No argument from me.
Good news, we did. Once you connect the impact to app it automatically upgrades. Let us know if you have any questions!

Edited to add- that I didnt realize I was already speaking with you on the previous post.

Really appreciate that reply Scott! I will have to figure out how to upgrade the pro version. I had the paid version prior, so not sure if that is the same.

Wasn't sure if the laser was still a 0.7m laser.
When it is set on the ballistic mode, does it automatically pull the environmentals from the unit? Or do you have to always link to a kestrel or geoballistic? Not talking wind data
The app should upgrade as soon as you connect to the Impact. The default is set to pull the environment from the Impact.

Reactions: NHPiper
@Scott_at_Vortex
Hello mate,
Curious as to why a Bluetooth remote with it's own power source was elected over a removable cable?

Of course it offers much more flexibility but also has it's own set of issues
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Security (falling off)
- Small battery power
- Possibly cost? R&D for the onboard circuitry vs cable and connector.

Have the Impact on order in Australia, hoping to have it in the next short while.
It's great to have a much more affordable unit on the open market, good work!

The app should upgrade as soon as you connect to the Impact. The default is set to pull the environment from the Impact.
If you turn on the app on your phone, does it then auto feed it to the Impact? I had a pretty big difference in data output from the kestrel 5700 to geoballistics, but it was the weather data inputs.

Or does the data fees from the Impact back to the app?

Reactions: btuse
@Scott_at_Vortex
Hello mate,
Curious as to why a Bluetooth remote with it's own power source was elected over a removable cable?

Of course it offers much more flexibility but also has it's own set of issues
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Security (falling off)
- Small battery power
- Possibly cost? R&D for the onboard circuitry vs cable and connector.

Have the Impact on order in Australia, hoping to have it in the next short while.
It's great to have a much more affordable unit on the open market, good work!
Cables bend and break, then you gotta change it out at the worst possible times. Also snags and you gotta tape it up. Imagine your old corded headphones in the gym, sucks.

Does anybody know the difference in what the unit is looking at between Normal/ELR ranging? Is it similar to the Best/Last option in the Furry binos?

Hopefully some of the bold print helps. Let me know if you have any

Hopefully some of the bold print helps. Let me know if you have any questions.View attachment 8241758
It was really hard to catch that you started that process by clicking the SORT arrows at top. Went back to YouTube vid and that was buried 35mins in to a 45 min video, but at least now I can move guns around in the app. Profile management is still a hassle. Would like to keep master copy on app and sync that master to the impact. Also requiring 10 profiles on the unit at all times introduces chances for user error. Kestrel can sync just 1 if desired or hide unwanted ones.

Cables bend and break, then you gotta change it out at the worst possible times. Also snags and you gotta tape it up. Imagine your old corded headphones in the gym, sucks.
Not ready to be all fancy, connected and wireless... Still using cabled iPhone headphones. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: carbonbased
Anyone else play with these for an extended period of time? I went coyote hunting with it the other night, problem 1 couldn’t get the compass calibrated problem 2, went through 2 batteries in a night just leaving it on without the backlight on.

Anyone else play with these for an extended period of time? I went coyote hunting with it the other night, problem 1 couldn’t get the compass calibrated problem 2, went through 2 batteries in a night just leaving it on without the backlight on.
Compass calibration is easy if you watch the videos. Not happy to hear about the two batteries leaving it on with no backlight

Compass calibration is easy if you watch the videos. Not happy to hear about the two batteries leaving it on with no backlight
Tried at least 10 times in the middle of a sage brush field after watching the videos. Still couldn’t get it. Ultimately gave up. Wacked a dog at 450 so it didn’t matter much. Batteries might be a bit disappointing if that Trend continues… it was only 52 outside.

Hopefully battery life isn't like that across the board. I'm typically out for 8hrs a night, 3 nights a week on deer, pigs, and yotes. That's ALOT of batteries.

Which step are you failing calibration on?

I kept failing on the figure 8s until I realized it wanted to be flipped completely over like a carnival ride during the motion.

Calibrated every time since without a fail
Figure 8s. I tried flipping it, not flipping it, clockwise, counter, over head, right hand, left, you name it.

My wife thought I had turned a new leaf and picked up interpretive dancing in the sage brush with how long I was out there.

Figure 8s. I tried flipping it, not flipping it, clockwise, counter, over head, right hand, left, you name it.
I failed the first time with the horizontal side spinning, there is a specific order and I must have image dyslexia because I was doing it the opposite way first multiple times and then I looked hard at instructions and realized I was spinning with the unit flipped on the wrong side, so pay attention to those images ;)
My wife thought I had turned a new leaf and picked up interpretive dancing in the sage brush with how long I was out there.
You made me spit out my tea with that image :ROFLMAO:

spit out your milk.gif

I dunno how to explain it but I swear I failed it 40 times until I looked at the picture in the manual and started getting more wrist into the motion to flip on completely over during the 8s ... and then it just worked...

Sorry for the highly technical explanation lol

I watched a set up video that dude was all gentle and stiff and I tried to copy him over and over and it wouldn't work...

Does anybody know the difference in what the unit is looking at between Normal/ELR ranging? Is it similar to the Best/Last option in the Furry binos?
Normal is programed to get a solution as quickly as possible while still returning an accurate range on the majority of targets most users will be ranging. ELR is for longer range smaller targets. You will notice ELR will take longer to get a range. This is because the unit is sending many more laser pulses in ELR mode. It is different than best vs last in the Fury's.

Unfortunately, powering a display takes some power(really no different than a display in a thermal sight). So if you decide to not use the auto off feature you'll get about 15-30hrs depending on how many ranges you take and blue tooth connection consumption. On the plus side, If you turn the auto off feature on 1min or 3 min its a non issue. I've been running the same battery for at least 2yrs now. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

20231005_100335.jpg

v/r
Scott

Would like to see v2 with a USB-C plug for external battery and computer connection as backup for Bluetooth...
Hi Bill,
I addressed this above, but just a quick note. I've been running the same battery for a couple of years now. This should be a non-issue unless we/I am not understanding the concern. Which is certainly possible.

We also have put a lot of effort into the bluetooth connection to make it as seamless as possible. For reference, I connected my remote and app a couple of years ago and have never had to worry about it. It always just works, kind of like my bluetooth ear buds for my phone.

All that being said, I am curious about your comments. Would you mind explaining in a little more detail as to why you'd like to see these features you mentioned?

v/r
Scott

Last edited:
We also have put a lot of effort into the bluetooth connection to make it as seamless as possible. For reference, I connected my remote and app a couple of years ago and have never had to worry about it. It always just works, kind of like my bluetooth ear buds for my phone.
I do not like to be a slave to a smartphone. What if I decide to get a flip phone at some point, how can I manage everything. This is just personal preference but in lieu of the threats from big tech over the past few years who's to say a fruit company isn't going to say, "screw the 2nd amendment, we're not going to allow any firearm related apps on our devices anymore". I know, I know, sometimes I can be seen wearing my aluminum foil hat, but after 2020 when they actually pulled this crap on various platforms I trust them about as far as I can throw them, and they're some tubby folks!
All that being said, I am curious about your comments. Would you mind explaining in a little more detail as to why you'd like to see these features you mentioned?
Mostly it is about redundancy. What if I'm out in the field and I forgot to replace my battery from the last trip when it was almost dead, and I forgot the case that has all my spare batteries? I know - be prepared right, but never hurts to have a little redundancy. Also, for night hunters who stay up all night long shooting yotes and pigs, these guys tax this equipment to the max, having battery backup option would benefit those who want their system to be always on.

Reactions: Generations
I do not like to be a slave to a smartphone. What if I decide to get a flip phone at some point, how can I manage everything. This is just personal preference but in lieu of the threats from big tech over the past few years who's to say a fruit company isn't going to say, "screw the 2nd amendment, we're not going to allow any firearm related apps on our devices anymore". I know, I know, sometimes I can be seen wearing my aluminum foil hat, but after 2020 when they actually pulled this crap on various platforms I trust them about as far as I can throw them, and they're some tubby folks!

Mostly it is about redundancy. What if I'm out in the field and I forgot to replace my battery from the last trip when it was almost dead, and I forgot the case that has all my spare batteries? I know - be prepared right, but never hurts to have a little redundancy. Also, for night hunters who stay up all night long shooting yotes and pigs, these guys tax this equipment to the max, having battery backup option would benefit those who want their system to be always on.
To your first point, I believe we agree, which is why you dont need the app at all. Everything Impact related can be managed directly on the Impact. Personally, I hardly ever use the app in conjunction with the Impact in the field. That being said, thats just my personal preference and probably some habits carried over from other LRF's Ive used in years past that dont have apps.

To your second point, fair point and duly noted. That makes sense.

v/r
Scott

To your first point, I believe we agree, which is why you dont need the app at all. Everything Impact related can be managed directly on the Impact. Personally, I hardly ever use the app in conjunction with the Impact in the field. That being said, thats just my personal preference and probably some habits carried over from other LRF's Ive used in years past that dont have apps.

To your second point, fair point and duly noted. That makes sense.

v/r
Scott
Maybe I misunderstood the manual, but you're saying I can connect the bluetooth remote to the Impact without having to go into GeoBallistics? I thought the GB app was the only way to connect the two. What about Kestrel, can I link my Kestrel to the Impact 4000 without the GB app?

Oh, one other thing I'd like to see, is data to go from the Impact 4000 to the Kestrel so the Kestrel can display the solution, if I understand the manual/setup correctly, the Impact/GB app only allows for Kestrel data to transfer but not the other way around.

Bill

Also, for night hunters who stay up all night long shooting yotes and pigs, these guys tax this equipment to the max, having battery backup option would benefit those who want their system to be always on.
But doesn't it power back up almost immediately? Unless there's issues with the remote loosing connectivity, I don't care if the unit powers down every few minutes while I'm on my scanner.

The buttons are going to be difficult to operate with gloves on and I wish the display was dimmer on the lowest setting, but those are easy to overcome.

Reactions: CrazyDoc
Maybe I misunderstood the manual, but you're saying I can connect the bluetooth remote to the Impact without having to go into GeoBallistics? I thought the GB app was the only way to connect the two. What about Kestrel, can I link my Kestrel to the Impact 4000 without the GB app?

Oh, one other thing I'd like to see, is data to go from the Impact 4000 to the Kestrel so the Kestrel can display the solution, if I understand the manual/setup correctly, the Impact/GB app only allows for Kestrel data to transfer but not the other way around.

Bill
Yes, that is 100% correct. You do not need the app for anything if you are just running and/or setting up the impact and/or the remote.
You can only use kestrel for weather data in the app.

Yes, that is 100% correct. You do not need the app for anything if you are just running and/or setting up the impact and/or the remote.
This is good to know (y)
You can only use kestrel for weather data in the app.
It would be nice if it was two way communication. But I've been trying to figure out if I can "leave the Kestrel at home" and become less and less dependent on it as I try to improve my pathetic spidey sense on accurately judging wind at distance.

Hope this helps, and if anyone finds a better way let me know

@scott_vorte
Unfortunately, powering a display takes some power(really no different than a display in a thermal sight). So if you decide to not use the auto off feature you'll get about 15-30hrs depending on how many ranges you take and blue tooth connection consumption. On the plus side, If you turn the auto off feature on 1min or 3 min its a non issue. I've been running the same battery for at least 2yrs now. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

View attachment 8242177

v/r
Scott
any chance there could be a update for a option to leave it on with no backlight then when you zap a range the back light comes on?

For how much night hunting some of us do that would be nice so you don’t have to power it on up top then zap a range up top or in the remote.

Like a backlight time out setting not auto off. And backlight on when you hit the range on the remote.

Glassaholic, I'm one of those guys. I'm out and on a rifle three nights a week from sun down to damn near sun up from end of April until mid December. Having a screen not blind me would be sweet and having the battery last more than one night would be fantastic lol

Reactions: Glassaholic
@Scott_at_Vortex

Not sure if this is a huge issue with my unit or all units, but I noticed when I was adjusting the elevation for the visible laser that even the slightest downwards pressure on the adjustment dial results in the laser jumping all over the place and aiming really high.

I can basically take my finger and press down on the turret on the top of the housing (the one with the slot for elevation) and the harder I press the more the laser climbs. It makes it a pain to zero because without even trying you put a slight bit of pressure when you adjust the dial.

Anyone else have this issue?

Only issue that I’m having is getting the remote to connect. The blinking red light is like being water boarded

@Scott_at_Vortex

Not sure if this is a huge issue with my unit or all units, but I noticed when I was adjusting the elevation for the visible laser that even the slightest downwards pressure on the adjustment dial results in the laser jumping all over the place and aiming really high.

I can basically take my finger and press down on the turret on the top of the housing (the one with the slot for elevation) and the harder I press the more the laser climbs. It makes it a pain to zero because without even trying you put a slight bit of pressure when you adjust the dial.

Anyone else have this issue?
Yes sir, that is normal. You are just pushing against the bias spring.

Reactions: btuse and NHPiper
Only issue that I’m having is getting the remote to connect. The blinking red light is like being water boarded
Thats probably the orange light. Get the remote and push hold the up button, then push the down button and hold both down for a few seconds. The remote should go from flashing orange to red. When its flashing red you should be able to connect. Unfortunately its a little difficult to tell the orange from the red. Its sutttle ,but there is a difference. Let me know if that works for you.

1696629781858.png