• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Vortex Impact 4000 Rifle/Rail mounted Range finder???

This 80% worked well for me on the 3rd brightness level at night. It's about impossible to read the display with it applied in sunlight though.

FLANCCI LED Light Blocking...

Thanks, looks like they make a 50% to 80% sheet and I’ll grab that since 80% might be a bit much

Well, just for those intrigued by the thought of the power splitter for the Clip-IR XLR, the connector cable cost from Fischer is $250 each, minimum order with them is $100, so I need four people who would actually want to pay about $500 for such a cable. PM if there's interest, we'll pursue it, otherwise it will be the Vortex cable only.

Reactions: ST42
Pretty redneck but I snagged a pile of bumpers and drilled out the center on the back side of it. Dab of super glue should do. Works great. Doesn't look great but it could be worse and I'll take the function over all things.
1000019358.jpg

Also gotta give credit to MKMachining for the fitment of the ARD... it's so tight an ear snapped on install. They wanted a pic of the broken tab and i have a tracking number for a new one now.
1000019399.jpg

Reactions: GeoDude and 96C
On the darkness of the filter, im going to go out on a limb and say that if you can see the display with the lights on, its probably still way too bright. I cant see mine hardly at all unless i cup my hands around it (with the lights on) and its just right

Valor.jpg

Sits ultra low with the Spuhr rail (H20, L75 PN: A-0037) on the NX8 2.5-20, it has to be mounted in the middle or it will contact the turret.
The remote in this position clashes slightly with the folding stock but isn't a major.

Really like the Impact, need to get more time behind it and fully wrap my head around the GeoBallistics app.

Last edited:
Also gotta give credit to MKMachining for the fitment of the ARD... it's so tight an ear snapped on install. They wanted a pic of the broken tab and i have a tracking number for a new one now.
View attachment 8299783

I have a tweak incoming that should make sure this doesn't happen again. I've got an FDE one on my desk I flexed WAY more than needed, along with every other color and no breakage....but the arms will now come from the very front of the ARD to allow for more flex/easier install. My tender baby fingers hurt after installing and popping off a bunch of times to test the FDE one on my desk.

@Tyler Kemp I've got two on order shipping to 98335. Glad to hear of the successful upgrade, well done!

@Tyler Kemp
What do you think about designing something flexible that snapped over the sides of the unit and laid over the buttons to provide better feel?
It could be X shaped to follow the plastic in-between the buttons with a nipple under the center to depress the fire button. I'm envisioning something that had distinct, raised quadrant outlines that guided your fingers to the arrow buttons while you had gloves on and pressing on the whole thing activated the middle button.
Just a thought.
Screenshot_20231220-222839~2.png

Last edited:
@Tyler Kemp
What do you think about designing something flexible that snapped over the sides of the unit and laid over the buttons to provide better feel?
It could be X shaped to follow the plastic in-between the buttons with a nipple under the center to depress the fire button. I'm envisioning something that had distinct, raised quadrant outlines that guided your fingers to the arrow buttons while you had gloves on and pressing on the whole thing activated the middle button.
Just a thought.View attachment 8302058
This will be a good application for our new flexible machine...we can have a compliant nipple in the middle. Everyone loves compliant nipples.

@Lil' Tone put it on the board!

This will be a good application for our new flexible machine...we can have a compliant nipple in the middle. Everyone loves compliant nipples.

@Lil' Tone put it on the board!
Any chance you've got something in the works for a tinted window that snaps in behind the unit so us night guys aren't looking like a light house in the middle of the field?

Reactions: Ksracer
OK, looks like a remote power solution is doable, I've got the cap and battery replacement worked out, waiting on a few parts to complete the first test unit. What's the consensus on a cable length? A 90 degree Lemo plug will come out of the cap, there's a small power regulator on the cable and then a 90 degree USB A connector. Question is where would most people mount a USB battery?

OK, looks like a remote power solution is doable, I've got the cap and battery replacement worked out, waiting on a few parts to complete the first test unit. What's the consensus on a cable length? A 90 degree Lemo plug will come out of the cap, there's a small power regulator on the cable and then a 90 degree USB A connector. Question is where would most people mount a USB battery?
Is USB C an option? USB A is something that many are stepping away from.

I mount all of my external power bricks on the right hand side of the rifle on the picatinny rail. Right handed shooter.

I mount all of my external power bricks on the right hand side of the rifle on the picatinny rail. Right handed shooter.
Right handed shooter. Battery cap is on right side, I’d mount on that side at first available mlok slot ahead of the rangefinder on pretty much any bolt gun application where having a 12 o’clock pic isn’t a given.

Is USB C an option? USB A is something that many are stepping away from.
Certainly, most power banks still seem to be USB A, but as these are pretty much custom built I can put most any available connector on it. I may be able to do the cap module as a Fischer as well and make it a submersible system (IP68), but there are some dimensional issues to be worked out for that. If we went that way, the power supply would need waterproof connectors as well, you can get that with USB C, but I don't see many waterproof powerbanks out there.

Oh That looks Great! USB A is cool by me, and waterproof would be a nice bonus.

Guys, just received my Impact 4000 and noticed there were two seals on the package; a larger one covering a smaller one that had been cut. I opened the package and everything seemed there.

I got everything calibrated and mounted to 45 in/lbs like the manual states. Upon zeroing, I noticed that the visible aiming laser elevation adjustment jumps and wanders sporadically; I press the “settings” button to exit the zeroing function and the laser’s elevation moves higher and does not return to zero after the button had been pressed. I became alarmed and re-entered the zeroing process with the aiming laser to find that the elevation was off even further. I could do this any number of times and it would move.

I saw that @NHPiper had some similar issues with his elevation adjustment in another post.

Did anyone else notice two seals on their unit’s package with one cut or elevation shifts with the aiming laser while zeroing? How can I be certain that my unit will maintain a zero if the visible aiming laser is wandering from just pressing a button the exit the zeroing process; I cannot see how it will withstand recoil if that is the case.

I know Vortex will take care of me, but rather frustrating right out of the box for a supposedly new unit.

IMG_3760.jpeg

Very interesting! I have two units. The first had one sticker, the second had two. The first one is mounted to my nighttime yote rifle, no issues. The second one is on my bench. I wont get to it until after Christmas, but I will let you know!

Very interesting! I have two units. The first had one sticker, the second had two. The first one is mounted to my nighttime yote rifle, no issues. The second one is on my bench. I wont get to it until after Christmas, but I will let you know!

Thanks for the reply. It makes me feel better that someone else has one with two seals. Yes, please let me know if you notice anything while zeroing when you get to it. I am going to call Vortex on Tuesday and see what they say.

Reactions: ST42
I had one seal and it was uncut.

Scott at Vortex did mention it was a bias spring that can cause the laser to jump when pressing on it.

I've taken my 4000 off and on numerous times and it's held zero very well.

Reactions: Savage Gentleman
I had one seal and it was uncut.

Scott at Vortex did mention it was a bias spring that can cause the laser to jump when pressing on it.

I've taken my 4000 off and on numerous times and it's held zero very well.

Yeah, I saw that @Scott_at_Vortex said that to NHPiper, but did it go back to zero after he released the pressure from pressing the buttons? Mine does not and stays where it went. If I exit the zeroing program and go back to do it again, the point of aim has shifted further. Everything is torqued properly. I am guessing something may be off internally.

Yeah, I saw that @Scott_at_Vortex said that to NHPiper, but did it go back to zero after he released the pressure from pressing the buttons? Mine does not and stays where it went. If I exit the zeroing program and go back to do it again, the point of aim has shifted further. Everything is torqued properly. I am guessing something may be off internally.
Gentlemen,
Sorry for your frustrations. If a unit has two seals it is because our QC technicians reopened the box after applying the seal. There can be a multitude of reasons why they would do this (ie: forgot to put something in the box, double checking something they think they forgot or skipped, etc...).
I'm not sure what is happening with @Savage Gentleman unit. This is different than what NH Piper was talking about. The buttons are 100% electronic and only navigate the display. They have nothing to do with adjusting the laser other than turning it on and off. The laser adjustments are 100% mechanical. They are essentially the same as riflescope/red dot turrets/screws. This would be akin to a riflescopes illumination control (push button type) affecting the scopes zero.
My best guess without seeing the setup is that something out side of the Impact is allowing it to move. I only say that because the buttons aren't connected or touching the laser module. I would try pushing anywhere(other than the buttons)on the impact to see if that causes the same issue. If it does then we know something in the gun/mount is moving.
Again, I'm just making an educated guess here and just trying to help. If you are unable to quickly diagnose where the problem is please send the unit to me. That will be the next quickest way to know for sure if there is anything moving around in the Impact. Our average turn around time is less than 5 days right now and I'll make sure its not even that long if you want to send it out.

One quick thing, any chance you can post some photos of your setup. This could help diagnose also.

V/R
Scott

Gentlemen,
Sorry for your frustrations. If a unit has two seals it is because our QC technicians reopened the box after applying the seal. There can be a multitude of reasons why they would do this (ie: forgot to put something in the box, double checking something they think they forgot or skipped, etc...).
I'm not sure what is happening with @Savage Gentleman unit. This is different than what NH Piper was talking about. The buttons are 100% electronic and only navigate the display. They have nothing to do with adjusting the laser other than turning it on and off. The laser adjustments are 100% mechanical. They are essentially the same as riflescope/red dot turrets/screws. This would be akin to a riflescopes illumination control (push button type) affecting the scopes zero.
My best guess without seeing the setup is that something out side of the Impact is allowing it to move. I only say that because the buttons aren't connected or touching the laser module. I would try pushing anywhere(other than the buttons)on the impact to see if that causes the same issue. If it does then we know something in the gun/mount is moving.
Again, I'm just making an educated guess here and just trying to help. If you are unable to quickly diagnose where the problem is please send the unit to me. That will be the next quickest way to know for sure if there is anything moving around in the Impact. Our average turn around time is less than 5 days right now and I'll make sure its not even that long if you want to send it out.

One quick thing, any chance you can post some photos of your setup. This could help diagnose also.

V/R
Scott

Hey Scott, thanks so much for the feedback and the info; that explains and clears things up with the seals.

As for the point of aim shift of the aiming laser, it moves and stays. I didn’t think the buttons had any function with the aiming laser, rather the pressure of just pushing the button on top of the unit causes the laser to shift and stay; it does not return to the setting. It shifts as much as 1/10 to 2/10 Mils with the press of a button. In fact, any pressure of the top of the unit shifts the laser, especially if the pressure is on the actual elevation knob. Additionally, I noticed that when turning/adjusting the elevation knob, the laser does not move sometimes and then will jump way up or down depending on the way I turned it.

I doubt it’s a mount issue; it’s a Spuhr SP-4003B with the Spuhr A-0029 diving board; it’s torqued and witnessed marked like the rest of my fasteners; none of the witness marks have shifted. I did a tall target test and a box test this afternoon with my optic; it tracked perfectly and wouldn’t do so if the mount and fasteners were loose. The photos are from the range this afternoon.

Thanks again for your help, Scott.

Merry Christmas,

Kyle

IMG_3766.jpeg

IMG_3765.jpeg

IMG_3770.jpeg
IMG_3772.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: thedude824
Anyone aware of a mount that would mount onto a 34mm scope tube? My M82 is using Barrett rings and they don't make a replacement mount segment that will mount to a ring.

A loose demo of of the workload reduction between using a rifle mounted LRF with onboard ballistics software versus a pair of LRF binoculars with onboard ballistic software and using the same Binos to obtain range only prior to manually entering this data onto a Kestrel.

This was comfortably shooting, not racing the clock, just getting work done. Two near misses were edited out, clips were cut just prior to the natural shot in order to more accurately display the time taken to engage the same 3 targets.

A loose demo of of the workload reduction between using a rifle mounted LRF with onboard ballistics software versus a pair of LRF binoculars with onboard ballistic software and using the same Binos to obtain range only prior to manually entering this data onto a Kestrel.

This was comfortably shooting, not racing the clock, just getting work done. Two near misses were edited out, clips were cut just prior to the natural shot in order to more accurately display the time taken to engage the same 3 targets.

This video is one hell of a weapons mount LRF salesman.

Reactions: 96C
I am on the fence with this one. I don't use Vortex rings and would have to switch over to them or another brand to get the diving board and I'm not sure about mounting on the side of the rifle. Anyway, I'm keeping an open mind.

Here is a video that Vortex produced.

Reactions: Savage Gentleman
I am on the fence with this one. I don't use Vortex rings and would have to switch over to them or another brand to get the diving board and I'm not sure about mounting on the side of the rifle. Anyway, I'm keeping an open mind.

Here is a video that Vortex produced.

I'm getting there. I had a Radius, but didn't use it that often. Only for hunting at night, but then realized I could get within 200 yards of pretty much anything at night so it wasn't really needed. I am considering one of these for daytime hunting/NRL matches though. I do think after owning the Radius and mounting it up top, that I would likely side mount this one. I think its a bit easier to make sure I am ranging my intended target.

@Savage Gentleman I sent my unit into vortex for testing after identifying similar issues. Essentially from what I understand there is going to be some bounce against the return spring. Best thing I found was to just tap the adjustment turret a few times or push in on it after adjustment. That made sure that the spring was fully releasing and pushing up.

I was disappointed by cold weather performance yesterday. I was 1 of 3 units out shooting in about 25'F for 3-4 hours. All had the lag issues that have been discussed.

However, my unit displayed two new issues in the cold.

1) after ranging, I would get the range and then a few seconds later the screen would update again to give me the hold. BUT, there were a handful of instances where the HOLD WOULD NOT UPDATE. I would have to range the target once or twice again to get the data for the hold to show on the screen to match the distance.

2) Likely not a cold weather issues, but my unit kept syncing to my buddies phone. He also has a unit. The only reason I would catch it is I would range at 1110yds and get a hold of 11.3 mils which was wildly different than the 9.9 mils I had shot it at 20 minutes prior.

For the price the unit is incredible and allows someone like me to get into the weapon mounted LRF world. It is disappointing that Vortex wasn't more forth coming about known cold weather issues or designed around them. I would also like a way to shut off the Bluetooth so that there is zero risk to sync to my phone or someone else's on the range (there may be that option but I haven't explored enough yet).

I am sure that more guys have these then there are people using the more cost prohibitive Raptar or Envision units. But for that smaller crowd, did those units suffer from cold weather issues? I am a bit boggled at why a more basic display wasn't selected.

@Scott_at_Vortex

Reactions: rlsmith1 and Rinky
@Savage Gentleman I sent my unit into vortex for testing after identifying similar issues. Essentially from what I understand there is going to be some bounce against the return spring. Best thing I found was to just tap the adjustment turret a few times or push in on it after adjustment. That made sure that the spring was fully releasing and pushing up.

I was disappointed by cold weather performance yesterday. I was 1 of 3 units out shooting in about 25'F for 3-4 hours. All had the lag issues that have been discussed.

However, my unit displayed two new issues in the cold.

1) after ranging, I would get the range and then a few seconds later the screen would update again to give me the hold. BUT, there were a handful of instances where the HOLD WOULD NOT UPDATE. I would have to range the target once or twice again to get the data for the hold to show on the screen to match the distance.

2) Likely not a cold weather issues, but my unit kept syncing to my buddies phone. He also has a unit. The only reason I would catch it is I would range at 1110yds and get a hold of 11.3 mils which was wildly different than the 9.9 mils I had shot it at 20 minutes prior.

For the price the unit is incredible and allows someone like me to get into the weapon mounted LRF world. It is disappointing that Vortex wasn't more forth coming about known cold weather issues or designed around them. I would also like a way to shut off the Bluetooth so that there is zero risk to sync to my phone or someone else's on the range (there may be that option but I haven't explored enough yet).

I am sure that more guys have these then there are people using the more cost prohibitive Raptar or Envision units. But for that smaller crowd, did those units suffer from cold weather issues? I am a bit boggled at why a more basic display wasn't selected.

@Scott_at_Vortex
I agree 100%. The fire button being centered and the smallest button of a mass of directional pad buttons that are rarely used once initially set up really is a disappointment. Idk how that ever got overlooked. Plus the screen brightness not going dim enough. Such low hanging fruit that was immediately apparent...

I agree 100%. The fire button being centered and the smallest button of a mass of directional pad buttons that are rarely used once initially set up really is a disappointment. Idk how that ever got overlooked. Plus the screen brightness not going dim enough. Such low hanging fruit that was immediately apparent...

The good thing is, it seems apparent that Vortex wants to be great and this was their first attempt at such a unit. As @NHPiper said, I wouldn’t be able to get into this game outside of Vortex making it possible. I imagine they will make things right with new iterations and revisions.

Reactions: 96C
Anyone aware of a mount that would mount onto a 34mm scope tube? My M82 is using Barrett rings and they don't make a replacement mount segment that will mount to a ring.
Badger, their 34mm are out of stock of course.

Short rail

I've been buying these 34mm adaptors to mount my Garmin Xero Chrono over my various scopes and am hoping they will do double-duty if/when I buy a Vortex Impact 4000. Depending on your existing scope/ring configuration these adaptors may not clear your front ring depending on brand height or they might require an additional picatinny riser for more height or for additional pic rail slots.

The 34mm adaptors have gotten more expensive post-covid. The smaller 1"/30mm tube size is less expensive. The cheapest source is either amazon or ebay:

Attachments

• image_2023-12-24_082408257.png
    image_2023-12-24_082408257.png
    385 KB · Views: 35
I've been buying these 34mm adaptors to mount my Garmin Xero Chrono over my various scopes and am hoping they will do double-duty if/when I buy a Vortex Impact 4000. Depending on your existing scope/ring configuration these adaptors may not clear your front ring depending on brand height or they might require an additional picatinny riser for more height or for additional pic rail slots.

The 34mm adaptors have gotten more expensive post-covid. The smaller 1"/30mm tube size is less expensive. The cheapest source is either amazon or ebay:
The length is not long enough to accommodate the 4000.

As much as I want one of these I’m glad I didn’t pick one up during holiday sales. I’d mostly be using it for nighttime hunting in the cold and that’s where most of the issues seem to be. Hopefully there’s some updates to this one or a V2 in the near future.

Reactions: dirtytough

Word of warning having tried that one...it's so far out of spec they the Impact will not sit level on it when tightened down