• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Vortex Impact 4000 Rifle/Rail mounted Range finder???

@Savage Gentleman I sent my unit into vortex for testing after identifying similar issues. Essentially from what I understand there is going to be some bounce against the return spring. Best thing I found was to just tap the adjustment turret a few times or push in on it after adjustment. That made sure that the spring was fully releasing and pushing up.

I was disappointed by cold weather performance yesterday. I was 1 of 3 units out shooting in about 25'F for 3-4 hours. All had the lag issues that have been discussed.

However, my unit displayed two new issues in the cold.

1) after ranging, I would get the range and then a few seconds later the screen would update again to give me the hold. BUT, there were a handful of instances where the HOLD WOULD NOT UPDATE. I would have to range the target once or twice again to get the data for the hold to show on the screen to match the distance.

2) Likely not a cold weather issues, but my unit kept syncing to my buddies phone. He also has a unit. The only reason I would catch it is I would range at 1110yds and get a hold of 11.3 mils which was wildly different than the 9.9 mils I had shot it at 20 minutes prior.

For the price the unit is incredible and allows someone like me to get into the weapon mounted LRF world. It is disappointing that Vortex wasn't more forth coming about known cold weather issues or designed around them. I would also like a way to shut off the Bluetooth so that there is zero risk to sync to my phone or someone else's on the range (there may be that option but I haven't explored enough yet).

I am sure that more guys have these then there are people using the more cost prohibitive Raptar or Envision units. But for that smaller crowd, did those units suffer from cold weather issues? I am a bit boggled at why a more basic display wasn't selected.

@Scott_at_Vortex

Counter point to this. My unit was one of the other two in use yesterday. It's been on the same rifle (mounted on a Spuhr diving board for what it's worth) for approximately 300 rounds now, and hasn't lost zero. Onboard ballistics got me first round hits at 530, 870, and 1,109 yards. At 24° the unit took ~ 2 seconds to return a distance and hold, sometimes flashed twice, but always updated for the current target.

My range finder is set to pull live weather and not communicate with the app, so I haven't run into any issues with getting someone else's solutions.

From a data flow standpoint the Vortex has vastly simplified my shooting. No more fiddling with the Terrapin and Kestrel, and I don't have to come off the rifle when ranging a new target.

For a future version, would love to see:

1. Easier to locate power button. If the remote is going to stay wireless, then it would be nice if the power button could be easier to find, especially with gloves on.

2. Dimmer backlight for the screen. It's blinding when shooting with a clipon. Will have to try some tint film.

3. Would prefer a wired remote. I assume this would allow me to power the unit on using the remote vs having to fiddle around on top of the range finder. Also worry about the bluetooth failing for some reason (might not be an actual problem, but still in the back of my head).

With no real spots to hook a filter over the display, how does everyone feel about a filter holder that would use four rare earth magnets on the rear screws? With a lanyard to prevent loss if it gets knocked off, this would leave you access to the backlight button, be easy on/off and should do the job nicely. I could whip that out in a day or two since I have the unit here for the USB power supply build.

With no real spots to hook a filter over the display, how does everyone feel about a filter holder that would use four rare earth magnets on the rear screws? With a lanyard to prevent loss if it gets knocked off, this would leave you access to the backlight button, be easy on/off and should do the job nicely. I could whip that out in a day or two since I have the unit here for the USB power supply build.
If there’s a way to have some sort of seal to keep light in the cavity that would be awesome. Some type of low density rubber or similar comes to mind but I’m not an engineer

@CoryT I think that idea has a lot of potential. I’m using the film over the display, but it is a PIA during the day. My stands for yotes begin in mid afternoon and I then roll into the night. I’d like to see the prototype, but I am most likely in for two.

Seems like the most direct solution. What density film are you running? I use an ND6 on the SxS display with NV, that's too dark to see by eye alone. ND3?

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
I just couldn’t get the film applied to my liking. I was used the LED dimming stickers, but getting them cut properly and mounted without air bubbles was trying, but do able. The hard part was just reading the display during daylight.

I’m using 2 layers of this stuff and it works great. 3 is right for me, but I could see fine with it brighter or dimmer

Too dark for the day for sure, been using my phone in HUD mode for daytime (not ideal at all)

Old library card and shock cord = poor man’s mkm cover

AFA13C08-2E95-4762-9F31-C376DF481F92.jpeg
69DEA398-DABE-4CF5-9BD7-CFC86AEFAEE5.jpeg

Prototype came off the printer looking pretty good, some minor adjustments and I'll print a usable version tomorrow. Magnets hold on the four corner screws, a frame with four screws hold the filter material. That will let you select what density of filter you want and make it replaceable in event of damage. Probably just include these in the power supply kit. PM if you are interested in being on the list, I should be able to deliver everything by mid-January.

This will give you a rough idea of what I'm building. It's on the printer now to resolve some minor sizing issues and the actual best print orientation, once that's done I'll round off the edges and mount some film. Right now, I expect these to cost no more than $25. The power supply cable system should run about $300, maybe less if I can get a bulk price on the Lemo connectors and spring contacts needed.

IMG_1008.jpg

I should probably point out that the magnetic attachment is likely to make the compass unusable, though at night I'm not sure it matters. Since all the hardware is magnetic and it's attached to a big steel rod, I question how well it works in the first place.

Reactions: rlsmith1
I should probably point out that the magnetic attachment is likely to make the compass unusable, though at night I'm not sure it matters. Since all the hardware is magnetic and it's attached to a big steel rod, I question how well it works in the first place.
Magnets will almost certainly interfere with the compass and will require a calibration after magnets are removed. The compass, when calibrated, does indeed work very well(even while being above a big steel rod).

That being said, if you are not using the compass, wind capture and have coriolis off then you should be ok.

(If I'm forgetting or missing something I'll edit this post later)

Best Regards
Scott

Counter point to this. My unit was one of the other two in use yesterday. It's been on the same rifle (mounted on a Spuhr diving board for what it's worth) for approximately 300 rounds now, and hasn't lost zero. Onboard ballistics got me first round hits at 530, 870, and 1,109 yards. At 24° the unit took ~ 2 seconds to return a distance and hold, sometimes flashed twice, but always updated for the current target.

My range finder is set to pull live weather and not communicate with the app, so I haven't run into any issues with getting someone else's solutions.

From a data flow standpoint the Vortex has vastly simplified my shooting. No more fiddling with the Terrapin and Kestrel, and I don't have to come off the rifle when ranging a new target.

For a future version, would love to see:

1. Easier to locate power button. If the remote is going to stay wireless, then it would be nice if the power button could be easier to find, especially with gloves on.

2. Dimmer backlight for the screen. It's blinding when shooting with a clipon. Will have to try some tint film.

3. Would prefer a wired remote. I assume this would allow me to power the unit on using the remote vs having to fiddle around on top of the range finder. Also worry about the bluetooth failing for some reason (might not be an actual problem, but still in the back of my head).
Sir,
Thank you for the feedback! We are always listening, watching, reading, taking notes and welcome feedback.

Thank you and everyone on here for the continued feedback.

Sincerely
Scott

Hey Scott, thanks so much for the feedback and the info; that explains and clears things up with the seals.

As for the point of aim shift of the aiming laser, it moves and stays. I didn’t think the buttons had any function with the aiming laser, rather the pressure of just pushing the button on top of the unit causes the laser to shift and stay; it does not return to the setting. It shifts as much as 1/10 to 2/10 Mils with the press of a button. In fact, any pressure of the top of the unit shifts the laser, especially if the pressure is on the actual elevation knob. Additionally, I noticed that when turning/adjusting the elevation knob, the laser does not move sometimes and then will jump way up or down depending on the way I turned it.

I doubt it’s a mount issue; it’s a Spuhr SP-4003B with the Spuhr A-0029 diving board; it’s torqued and witnessed marked like the rest of my fasteners; none of the witness marks have shifted. I did a tall target test and a box test this afternoon with my optic; it tracked perfectly and wouldn’t do so if the mount and fasteners were loose. The photos are from the range this afternoon.

Thanks again for your help, Scott.

Merry Christmas,

Kyle

View attachment 8304435
View attachment 8304436
View attachment 8304437View attachment 8304438
I'm not sure I'm fully understanding. A couple of quick questions-
1. Is .1-.2 the amount of shift you are seeing or is it more/less?

2. Are you saying you get shift if you touch the range finder anywhere on the top? Sides?

Any chance you are available for a phone call. I'm very intrigued and it would probably be more efficient to discuss over a call.

Thank you
Scott

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'm fully understanding. A couple of quick questions-
1. Is .1-.2 the amount of shift you are seeing or is it more/less?

2. Are you saying you get shift if you touch the range finder anywhere on the top? Sides?

Any chance you are available for a phone call. I'm very intrigued and it would probably be more efficient to discuss over a call.

Thank you
Scott

Hey Scott,

Sorry, not sure how I missed your reply.

1. I am getting more or less .1-.2 shift or so with the press of a button and general pressure on the top of the unit. If I tap the top it moves a little less.

2. I think there may be something off because the elevation knob turns, but sometimes the laser doesn’t move in correlation with the adjustments; example, I am turning the knob and feeling the clicks, but the laser doesn’t move in elevation. Suddenly though, it will move and jump substantially, as if it was catching up with the clicks it previously missed. I hope that makes sense. I didn’t really notice this with the windage adjustments.

Yep, of course I would be willing to speak with you; I will PM you my number.

Thanks again,

Kyle

Reactions: Scott_at_Vortex
Unless anyone has another suggestion, this should be pretty much the final form. I'll add a hole on the lower right for a lanyard to tie off the the cap lanyard, but otherwise, I think it's good to go. This is two layers of ND9. I'll provide 3 layers of ND9 and 1 of ND6, that should let you fine tune the brightness to your preference, plus you can always put in your own. a bulk supply of magnets and gel sheets should be here Friday, so I should be able to start shipping these next week.

Vortex.jpeg

Unless anyone has another suggestion, this should be pretty much the final form. I'll add a hole on the lower right for a lanyard to tie off the the cap lanyard, but otherwise, I think it's good to go. This is two layers of ND9. I'll provide 3 layers of ND9 and 1 of ND6, that should let you fine tune the brightness to your preference, plus you can always put in your own. a bulk supply of magnets and gel sheets should be here Friday, so I should be able to start shipping these next week.

View attachment 8306894
Love it! How far out from the unit does this go? Right now my unit sits pretty close to my turret, but I have room to move it forward if needed

@Scott_at_Vortex the PEOPLE want to know - now that its known you guys have the ability to produce weapon mounted laser systems, and seemed to knock it out of the park at a fraction of the price of competition....... can we expect to see you guys putting out an infared laser/ illuminator to take over the NVG market as well in the very near future?
Sincerely,
Everyone

Last edited:
@Scott_at_Vortex the PEOPLE want to know - now that its known you guys have the ability to produce weapon mounted laser systems, and seemed to knock it out of the park at a fraction of the price of competition....... can we expect to see you guys putting out an infared laser/ illuminator to take over the NVG market as well in the very near future?
Sincerely,
Everyone

This would be amazing!

I just wanted to do a follow-up regarding some previous observations and experience I had with my Impact 4000.

@Scott_at_Vortex called me to go over a few things. Although my diving board on my Spuhr mount appeared rock solid, Scott explained to me that even the most minuscule movement could translate to the small shifts of .1-.2 mils I was seeing at 100 yards; he suggested that I tighten my mount a bit more.

I used my Fix It Sticks Torque Limiters and tightened the fasteners of the diving board from 20 in/lb to 35 in/lb and rechecked my zero with the aiming laser. I was able to get it dialed in and I pressed and tapped on the top of the unit and elevation knob a few times; the laser shifted under the pressure as expected, but bounced back to the setting when the pressure was released.

Afterward, I took a couple of steel targets and set them up at various distances out to approximately 385 yards. The unit accurately ranged the targets each time. I wish I had a longer range available to me, but that is what I had at the time.

As @NHPiper had previously mentioned, I noticed the unit acting a little sluggish in the cold weather; the temperature was 37 degrees with a feel like temperature of about 30 degrees. The unit’s LCD flashed a couple of times and appeared slower, but it ultimately provided the solution. This is probably something that needs to be addressed in a revision or an updated generation of the unit since this device is intended for competition and hunting, the latter of which typically takes place in the colder months. The other revision would have to do with the backlight levels as has been previously mentioned. While not specifically mentioned and intended for law enforcement work, there are many being fielded by LEOs like myself that will use these in very cold temperatures and many times in conditions of low-light.

One other observation that I made about the unit. The side “enable” and “disable” setting that is switched with a T10 was a little too tight on my unit and the bit didn’t fit properly; I was starting to damage the fastener. I tried a T9 and it fit perfectly; the fastener was likely coated after manufacture and the tolerances are a little off. If you notice your fastener marring a bit, try a T9 and it will fit great.

Thanks to everyone and Scott for your assistance. Scott is obviously very passionate about his work and his company; Vortex should be proud of how he represents them and cares about their customers. I will update this again in the future if I notice anything else.

Last edited:
I just wanted to do a follow-up regarding some previous observations and experience I had with my Impact 4000.

@Scott_at_Vortex called me to go over a few things. Although my diving board on my Spuhr mount appeared rock solid, Scott explained to me that even the most minuscule movement could translate to the small shifts of .1-.2 mils I was seeing at 100 yards; he suggested that I tighten my mount a bit more.

I used my Fix It Sticks Torque Limiters and tightened the fasteners of the diving board from 20 in/lb to 35 in/lb and rechecked my zero with the aiming laser. I was able to get it dialed in and I pressed and tapped on the top of the unit and elevation knob a few times; the laser shifted under the pressure as expected, but bounced back to the setting when the pressure was released.

Afterward, I took a couple of steel targets and set them up at various distances out to approximately 385 yards. The unit accurately ranged the targets each time. I wish I had a longer range available to me, but that is what I had at the time.

As @NHPiper had previously mentioned, I noticed the unit acting a little sluggish in the cold weather; the temperature was 37 degrees with a feel like temperature of about 30 degrees. The unit’s LCD flashed a couple of times and appeared slower, but it ultimately provided the solution. This is probably something that needs to be addressed in a revision or an updated generation of the unit since this device is intended for competition and hunting, the latter of which typically takes place in the colder months. The other revision would have to do with the backlight levels as has been previously mentioned. While not specifically mentioned and intended for law enforcement work, there are many being fielded by LEOs like myself that will use these in very cold temperatures and many times in conditions of low-light.

One other observation that I made about the unit. The side “enable” and “disable” setting that is switched with a T10 was a little too tight on my unit and the bit didn’t fit properly; I was starting to damage the fastener. I tried a T9 and it fit perfectly; the fastener was likely coated after manufacture and the tolerances are a little off. If you notice your fastener marring a bit, try a T9 and it will fit great.

Thanks to everyone and Scott for your assistance. Scott is obviously very passionate about his work and his company; Vortex should be proud of how he represents them and cares about their customers. I will update this again in the future if I notice anything else.
Couldn't agree more with Scott and his representation of Vortex! Had a similar experience!

Couldn't agree more with Scott and his representation of Vortex! Had a similar experience!

Happy to help anytime we can Gentlemen! Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. The pleasure was all mine.

Also, thank you for the continued valuble feedback! You guys are awesome.

Sincerely
Scott

OK, functional prototype is done for the power supply. Production is now just waiting on some wire and connectors. Based on the current draw, a 5K mAh USB pack should run this for 10+ hours. Those of you running a thermal sight that has external power can order a customized splitter cable to run both systems off a single USB pack. The filter holder is ready to go, I'll start production of those tomorrow, the magnets arrived today so I can do final assembly.

Prices include shipping USPS
Remote power supply standard Lemo single port cable, 10" long will be $275, for $15 more I'll include a filter holder. Custom cable, prices vary according to length and connectors required.
Filter holder with 2 ND9 and 1 ND6 filter $30.

I'll provide payment instructions via PM as these become ready to ship, so send me a note to reserve what you want. If you already sent a PM, you are on the list.

IMG_1012.jpg

Anyone have issues with connecting to the Geoballistics app? I hit the + in the Bluetooth settings menu and I get a 'connect to network dialog' box' w/ my units serial number shown. Then I hit Join, get a prompt on the Impact that I select "Yes" to allow the app to connect to the network but after that nothing happens. The app doesn't show the bluetooth icon connected, and nothing in the app seems to change. I have location services enabled and I tried on both my Android phone and Apple Ipad and get the same results. Not sure what i'm doing wrong here, maybe someone else ran into the same issue and knows what i'm doing wrong?

I manually setup 1 profile to be able to get out and shoot tomorrow but I'd love to have the App connected to be able to setup more profiles much easier and do all the cool app stuff.

Anyone have issues with connecting to the Geoballistics app? I hit the + in the Bluetooth settings menu and I get a 'connect to network dialog' box' w/ my units serial number shown. Then I hit Join, get a prompt on the Impact that I select "Yes" to allow the app to connect to the network but after that nothing happens. The app doesn't show the bluetooth icon connected, and nothing in the app seems to change. I have location services enabled and I tried on both my Android phone and Apple Ipad and get the same results. Not sure what i'm doing wrong here, maybe someone else ran into the same issue and knows what i'm doing wrong?

I manually setup 1 profile to be able to get out and shoot tomorrow but I'd love to have the App connected to be able to setup more profiles much easier and do all the cool app stuff.
I'm really only familiar with Android. So let's try something with the Android phone. Go into app settings and choose "clear data" for Geo ballistics app. After you do that go ahead and see if everything connects then.
I attached a screenshot of where the clear data icon is in my app settings.

Please let me know if that works for you.

V/R
Scott
Screenshot_20231229_203118_Settings.jpg

I'm really only familiar with Android. So let's try something with the Android phone. Go into app settings and choose "clear data" for Geo ballistics app. After you do that go ahead and see if everything connects then.
I attached a screenshot of where the clear data icon is in my app settings.

Please let me know if that works for you.

V/R
ScottView attachment 8309041

*EDIT: I was able to get the Impact to connect to the iOS app. The trick was that I had to first use "remove" on the impact under devices. Then once that was done it would successfully connect to the iOS app. I haven't had success yet with Android and I'll try again later but for now I'm just happy to be able to have an easier way to setup all my profiles vs. having to use the keypad on the device.

Thanks, I tried clearing data and cache on Android and I just installed the iOS app just to troubleshoot the connection issue so it was a fresh install.

Here's what I'm trying and seeing Everytime I try to connect on either device.

I add Impact and allow it to scan for networks.
1000005309.png

It finds my impact and I hit this join button at the top of the screen.
1000005312.png

And then I select "Yes" on the impact to allow the app to connect. Then the app shows nothing happened and the profiles aren't synced in the app. No Bluetooth icon next to the impact, data select buttons are all grayed out. The connection doesn't seem to work. I've probably tried 20x and get the same results each time.
1000005311.png

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHorta
*EDIT: I was able to get the Impact to connect to the iOS app. The trick was that I had to first use "remove" on the impact under devices. Then once that was done it would successfully connect to the iOS app. I haven't had success yet with Android and I'll try again later but for now I'm just happy to be able to have an easier way to setup all my profiles vs. having to use the keypad on the device.

Thanks, I tried clearing data and cache on Android and I just installed the iOS app just to troubleshoot the connection issue so it was a fresh install.

Here's what I'm trying and seeing Everytime I try to connect on either device.

I add Impact and allow it to scan for networks.
View attachment 8309985

It finds my impact and I hit this join button at the top of the screen.
View attachment 8309988

And then I select "Yes" on the impact to allow the app to connect. Then the app shows nothing happened and the profiles aren't synced in the app. No Bluetooth icon next to the impact, data select buttons are all grayed out. The connection doesn't seem to work. I've probably tried 20x and get the same results each time.
View attachment 8309993
Awesome, happy to hear you got it going.

Reactions: TylerN
OK, 8 of the ND filter holders are ready to go. If you don't need a power cable, or don't want to wait a couple more weeks for those to be complete, you can order one if these now. If you are already on the list for a power cable, I'll let you know when they are all done and you can add a filter on then. Send me a PM and I'll give you payment options.

Update on battery life.

I was out with a buddy in 25*f temps last night and both units shut down on low bat after 15 minutes. The Panasonic battery in mine had ~4hrs of use in +45* temps. His was brand new.

We put in fresh Surefire's from my ammo bag in the back of the truck and quickly had low bat indicators and they both shut down before the 10 minute mark.

I'm going to try keeping a warm battery in my pocket and rotating them between stands I guess.

Update on battery life.

I was out with a buddy in 25*f temps last night and both units shut down on low bat after 15 minutes. The Panasonic battery in mine had ~4hrs of use in +45* temps. His was brand new.

We put in fresh Surefire's from my ammo bag in the back of the truck and quickly had low bat indicators and they both shut down before the 10 minute mark.

I'm going to try keeping a warm battery in my pocket and rotating them between stands I guess.
I should expect the remote power supply will deal with this. Lithium's are pretty good in the cold, but it does reduce the amp hours available, by as much as 30-40%, so on a high draw device, runtime may not be very good, which seems the case here.

Tested the prototype unit last night by turning the auto shutoff off, plugging the power supply in and leaving it out overnight. Temp got down to 20F, unit still running this AM, 8 hours continuous. Returns a range in just over 1 second, I did not program any ballistics so I don't know if a solution increases the time to readout. The 5000mAh power supply is down 25%, but that's just running the display and a dozen or so ranges, I can't say how much power it pulls running the laser, Scott may be able to run some numbers on that.

The remote battery is another issue altogether, but I don't expect that the BT really needs much power.

Tested the prototype unit last night by turning the auto shutoff off, plugging the power supply in and leaving it out overnight. Temp got down to 20F, unit still running this AM, 8 hours continuous. Returns a range in just over 1 second, I did not program any ballistics so I don't know if a solution increases the time to readout. The 5000mAh power supply is down 25%, but that's just running the display and a dozen or so ranges, I can't say how much power it pulls running the laser, Scott may be able to run some numbers on that.

The remote battery is another issue altogether, but I don't expect that the BT really needs much power.
Does this just run off a external power bank say for your phone or whatever? What's the preferred method to attach something like this to the rifle?

Does this just run off a external power bank say for your phone or whatever? What's the preferred method to attach something like this to the rifle?
Correct, and USB power bank. Velcro, ranger band, there are some 1913 and MLoc adapters out there, plenty of options to attach it somewhere. I epoxied a small piece of rail to one and got a cheap two sided 1913 rail adapter, works for me.

Reactions: NHPiper
Correct, and USB power bank. Velcro, ranger band, there are some 1913 and MLoc adapters out there, plenty of options to attach it somewhere. I epoxied a small piece of rail to one and got a cheap two sided 1913 rail adapter, works for me.
Cory, I am waiting for my Impact 4000 to arrive. You have given me a wealth of info on it. I will contact you later about your device. Once I learn what I don’t know. lol
thank you

Update on battery life.

@Ksracer
Was this with the LRF in scan mode the whole time or just being on? Thank you for your time and input!

v/r
Scott

@Ksracer
Was this with the LRF in scan mode the whole time or just being on? Thank you for your time and input!

v/r
Scott
Just turned on with the remote linked up. I ranged maybe 10-15 things. After it shut down the first time, I waited a few minutes and was able to power it up and and it ran about 5 minutes before powering down again. I repeated that cycle a few times until it would only power on long enough to get 1 or 2 ranges.
The next day after being inside it powered up and stayed on with no low bat indicator on the same Surefire battery.

Ready for orders and payments on all items.

Prices include shipping USPS
Remote power supply standard Lemo single port cable, 10" long will be $275, for $15 more I'll include a filter holder. Custom cable, prices vary according to length and connectors required.
Filter holder with 2 ND9 , 2 ND6 and 2 ND3 filters $30.

Cables will be built to order, 10" OAL is the default, let me know if you need something different. Filter holders are ready to go, cables 4-5 days to build.

Payment can be sent to my wife's PayPal, [email protected]
If you need to do something else, let me know, we can do Zelle, checks or money orders.

Make sure I get a USPS shipping address.

Reactions: rlsmith1
Update on battery life.

I am who was with Ksracer the other night. Being frustrated with this was an understatement. Vortex needs to include a way to reliably power these for more than 15 minutes when it is below freezing.

I went out again last night, kept 3 extra batteries in my pocket with an electric and a chemical hand warmer. Had to swap batteries before every stand to keep it operational. Lots of flashing and delay with a warm battery with the ambient being 36-30°. Never got more than 30 minutes without the low battery coming on.

I went out again last night, kept 3 extra batteries in my pocket with an electric and a chemical hand warmer. Had to swap batteries before every stand to keep it operational. Lots of flashing and delay with a warm battery with the ambient being 36-30°. Never got more than 30 minutes without the low battery coming on.
Sorry for the delay. We've been trying to troubleshoot on our end since this was not an issue during development nor are we able to duplicate in house currently on production units. I'm still looking into it, but I may have you two send your units to me.

To be clear, I'm not saying that cold weather does not affect battery life. It absolutely will and there is no getting around that(batteries dont like the cold), but your situation seems seems VERY extreme for the temps you are in. On top of all of our lab testing with our thermal chambers during development... a good chunk of our live fire testing was done in the dead of winter here in Wisconsin and what you are experiencing was not something we ever came across. In the cold, the battery meter will show low battery as it is just a simple volt meter in the device, but it should run like that(low battery symbol) for MUCH longer than what you are experiencing.

All that being said, I have a couple of quick questions-

1. Above you mention "lots of flashing". Would you mind helping me by clarifying what you were seeing? Was the display going on and off? Backlight going on/off?

2. It doesnt sound like it, but by chance are you using rechargeable 123 batteries?

Looking forward to your response. I would also be happy to discuss over the phone anytime if you would like. If you prefer this please pm me your number and good time to call.

Sincerely
Scott

Sorry for the delay. We've been trying to troubleshoot on our end since this was not an issue during development nor are we able to duplicate in house currently on production units. I'm still looking into it, but I may have you two send your units to me.

To be clear, I'm not saying that cold weather does not affect battery life. It absolutely will and there is no getting around that(batteries dont like the cold), but your situation seems seems VERY extreme for the temps you are in. On top of all of our lab testing with our thermal chambers during development... a good chunk of our live fire testing was done in the dead of winter here in Wisconsin and what you are experiencing was not something we ever came across. In the cold, the battery meter will show low battery as it is just a simple volt meter in the device, but it should run like that(low battery symbol) for MUCH longer than what you are experiencing.

1. Above you mention "lots of flashing". Would you mind helping me by clarifying what you were seeing? Was the display going on and off? Backlight going on/off?

2. It doesnt sound like it, but by chance are you using rechargeable 123 batteries?

Looking forward to your response. I would also be happy to discuss over the phone anytime if you would like. If you prefer this please pm me your number and good time to call.

Sincerely
Scott
A couple short-ish answers and I'll PM with more details.

1. I can't speak for 260284, but mine "double ranges" in the cold. I'll hit the remote, pause for a second, look down and see a dark screen that briefly flashes, goes black again and then pops up a range for whatever the rifle has moved to. (Hunting off tripod, rifle moves when I lift my head to get the range scenario.) I don't think it does this if I use the button on the unit.

2. Not rechargeable. The Panasonic that they shipped with died (shut down the unit) and then new (albeit cold) Surefire's died.

Last night I set the rifle up in the shop again and ran it in scan mode with the same Surefire for 45 minutes before the low bat symbol came back. I left it on in regular mode for several more hours and it never shut down again and the low batt cleared.

Sincerely
Scott
I sent you a PM.

Reactions: Scott_at_Vortex
A couple short-ish answers and I'll PM with more details.

1. I can't speak for 260284, but mine "double ranges" in the cold. I'll hit the remote, pause for a second, look down and see a dark screen that briefly flashes, goes black again and then pops up a range for whatever the rifle has moved to. (Hunting off tripod, rifle moves when I lift my head to get the range scenario.) I don't think it does this if I use the button on the unit.

2. Not rechargeable. The Panasonic that they shipped with died (shut down the unit) and then new (albeit cold) Surefire's died.

Last night I set the rifle up in the shop again and ran it in scan mode with the same Surefire for 45 minutes before the low bat symbol came back. I left it on in regular mode for several more hours and it never shut down again and the low batt cleared.

Please keep this thread updated on your issues. This is what’s keeping me from buying one as primary use will be night hunting in the cold. I’m getting ready to go out now.

Reactions: CrazyDoc

Sincerely
Scott
I have found that in the cold mine likes to take a single "range" button press as two presses which kicks it into scan mode. The super cold LCD screen on a normal single button press takes about a second or two to display a firing solution so when in scan mode the screen just never ends up displaying anything besides being backlit due to the rate of the scans vs the delay in readout before the next solution is attempted to be displayed.

Reactions: 260284 and Ksracer
Please keep this thread updated on your issues. This is what’s keeping me from buying one as primary use will be night hunting in the cold. I’m getting ready to go out now.
It was about 30* over the weekend and it stayed running for 45+ min using warm batteries and individual ranges. The low bat came on like Scott mentioned but it didn't shut down. I changed the batteries out of caution so I don't know how long it would have went.

We have some near zero weather coming up. I'm going to pick up some different batteries from the store and see how long it will run without shutting off.

Reactions: Jnull