• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex LHT 4.5-22x50

I've been looking at scopes that would work on an AR15 SPR that would be at home both in the field as well as shooting some Quantified Performance or IWI gas gun matches. This definitely looks like it could bridge those two well. I had been leaning heavily toward an XTRIII, but with this scope being nearly 1/3 lighter, I think this scope with an offset dot would be a pretty damn good setup for a lighter SPR that could still do work on the square range. Has anyone here run this scope in a similar setup?
I don't know about your application, but I had one side by side with a 18x XTR3 earlier this week and preferred the LHT's IQ. The lighter weight is nice, doesn't make an AR feel too top heavy. The LHT needs a throw lever, but so does the XTR3.

I don't know about your application, but I had one side by side with a 18x XTR3 earlier this week and preferred the LHT's IQ. The lighter weight is nice, doesn't make an AR feel too top heavy. The LHT needs a throw lever, but so does the XTR3.
Thanks! My only real concern about it is the reported zero shift with impacts, as I tend to not be particularly easy on stuff. Got some thinking to do

I didn't see what you're budget was Steve, but the March 1-10x24mm Shorty with the DR TR-1 will check every box. I have some on service rigs and they are about as close to perfect as it gets. I just picked up one more but with the DR-1 reticle to fill a specific need. They're worth the stretch IMO. Mine get painted and used hard for work.

Reactions: StevethePirate
They are great, buy it if it fits the roll you need, if you drop it check your zero (you should do this with any optic). Wouldn't trade mine for anything else on the market under 2k with the weight, glass and price combination.

I have mine on an 18" ar10 with an offset RDS and it's a really sweet rig.

Last edited:
Reactions: LEROYRECCE
I’ve had one for a few months now and I’m really liking it. Elevation knob feeling could be a little better but overall it’s a killer crossover scope.

I think I’m even liking it a bit better than my XTR 3 which is still a great scope. The Burris has been moved to my 22 Comp gun which seems to be a better fit for it imo.

For what it's worth, I have been running one on the Fix since February 2021 and I have not been tempted to replace it with anything.
Make what you will out of that.

ILya
I know it gets raised a bit - but money no object, would you take the 5oz weight penalty for the better glass and controls of a TT Hunter or Marksman 3-15?

Still trying to talk myself in to a TT…

I know it gets raised a bit - but money no object, would you take the 5oz weight penalty for the better glass and controls of a TT Hunter or Marksman 3-15?

If you can afford a tt get a tt…. Because if you don’t you’ll always have doubts if the tt was gunna be better…. Or maybe that’s just me lol

Reactions: Secant

Along this same line, how does the LHT stack up to the AMG?

I'm tempted to upgrade another rifle to a LHT, but also leads to thoughts of a used AMG as weight is less important. I've poured over the specs and AMG should have a much wider FOV. But I haven't seen much comment about differences in image quality other the AMG is better.

Thanks.

Along this same line, how does the LHT stack up to the AMG?

I'm tempted to upgrade another rifle to a LHT, but also leads to thoughts of a used AMG as weight is less important. I've poured over the specs and AMG should have a much wider FOV. But I haven't seen much comment about differences in image quality other the AMG is better.

Thanks.
I have had both. I prefer the LHT as the AMG really didn't offer anything more for my purposes. I have several of the LHT scopes and use them on my loaner rifles for hunters and they have been great.

Reactions: Neurotic and JDB55

If you can afford a Tangent, get a Tangent. I have a TT315M that is going on the 8.6Blackout Fix, most likely.

Whether the weight is worth the price premium really depends on what you are looking to accomplish and whether you have the weight budget.

ILya

Reactions: Bravo6
If you can afford a Tangent, get a Tangent. I have a TT315M that is going on the 8.6Blackout Fix, most likely.

Whether the weight is worth the price premium really depends on what you are looking to accomplish and whether you have the weight budget.

ILya
I have also been harassing Blaser periodically to add a modern reticle to their B1 2.8-20x50 telescope.

I know you’ve reviewed the Blaser 1-7, and from your review seemed to quite like it.

If you’re like me and think that the B1 2.8-20 at 27oz with a modern reticle and a few more mils of elevation would be an excellent competitor - please join in my harassment campaign, as you would definitely have more pull then me! :LOL:

It is the same turret and zero-stop as all the HD-LHT scopes use. Vortex has a patent on it, so you see it in different proucts.

ILya
Specs on the website say this model has the ”Rev stop” [same as strike eagle] not the “RZR Zero stop” like earlier Razor models. Vortex isn’t making a point of how much elevation adjustment range you lose when you install the ring [and the shills doing youtube reviews are staying away from that drawback also].

Still, looks like a good choice for a long range shooting class.

Apparently the reticle changes from .5 mil hash marks to .1 mil out past 4 mil to the left or right, making it less busy in the center, and only the cross illuminates, not the christmas tree.

Specs on the website say this model has the ”Rev stop” [same as strike eagle] not the “RZR Zero stop” like earlier Razor models. Vortex isn’t making a point of how much elevation adjustment range you lose when you install the ring [and the shills doing youtube reviews are staying away from that drawback also].

Still, looks like a good choice for a long range shooting class.

Apparently the reticle changes from .5 mil hash marks to .1 mil out past 4 mil to the left or right, making it less busy in the center, and only the cross illuminates, not the christmas tree.
Install the zero stop ring and you get 2 revs 12 mils from zero. The scope is a long range hunting scope hence the LHT name. I have a 3-15 and a 4.5-22. They're extremely light, clear glass, good reticle, non finicky eyebox or parallax. The parallax and mag knobs are quite stiff and the turrets a very soft. They do track tho. Don't drop your gun, zero WILL shift, mine was almost 3" at 100y when it fell off the end gate.

Reactions: BobV
Web specs suggest that its 6 mil per turn , 22.4 mil total, thats 11.2 mil up or down — so what’s the new limit with the stop ring installed?

Web specs suggest that its 6 mil per turn , 22.4 mil total, thats 11.2 mil up or down — so what’s the new limit with the stop ring installed?
You get two revolutions from the zero stop shim. Since the zero stop ia 0.5mil below the turret zero, you get 11.5 mils of up once it's set.

Reactions: BobV
Install the zero stop ring and you get 2 revs 12 mils from zero. The scope is a long range hunting scope hence the LHT name. I have a 3-15 and a 4.5-22. They're extremely light, clear glass, good reticle, non finicky eyebox or parallax. The parallax and mag knobs are quite stiff and the turrets a very soft. They do track tho. Don't drop your gun, zero WILL shift, mine was almost 3" at 100y when it fell off the end gate.
Without opening a whole can of worms…

What rings/mount set up were you using? Is it feasible the rings contributed?

It’s a hard thing to replicate without destructive testing, anything anecdotal can help.

Without opening a whole can of worms…

What rings/mount set up were you using? Is it feasible the rings contributed?

It’s a hard thing to replicate without destructive testing, anything anecdotal can help.
Nightforce ultra lite 4 screw rings. To be fair, the zero shifted upon drop of my 3-15x42 hd lht, not my 4.5-22. There is a thread either on here or Rokslide where as user took his rifle with an hd lht on it and dropped it to a padded mat from 1-2' and the poi was wildly all over the place.

Nightforce ultra lite 4 screw rings. To be fair, the zero shifted upon drop of my 3-15x42 hd lht, not my 4.5-22. There is a thread either on here or Rokslide where as user took his rifle with an hd lht on it and dropped it to a padded mat from 1-2' and the poi was wildly all over the place.
That test, and that particular user you mention, has had some commentators from this side of the shooting community cast dispersions on its legitimacy. Your experience seems to match though, so it is what it is.

I have a 4.5-22, and so far haven’t dropped it - but my confidence hasn’t been shaken and it’s shot true every time it’s gone on and off my Blaser R8.

That test, and that particular user you mention, has had some commentators from this side of the shooting community cast dispersions on its legitimacy. Your experience seems to match though, so it is what it is.

I have a 4.5-22, and so far haven’t dropped it - but my confidence hasn’t been shaken and it’s shot true every time it’s gone on and off my Blaser R8.
My rifle was leaned on tailgate, it fell left onto ground hitting windage turret, my poi was around 3" R on first shot, next 3 made a tight cluster approx 2" right of point of aim. I don't try make a habit of dropping my rifles, but it's happened 4x times now. The nx8 and gen2 razor took it like a champ. The march and hd lht however did not.

I have the 3-15x42 on my main hunting rifle and love it. I’m considering the 4.5-22 for a lighter weight AR-10 with a 22” 6.5cm proof cf barrel. Does anyone here use this scope for more long range plinking than hunting? We’re not allowed semis in PA for big game and I mostly use a 556 gun for predators but it’s possible I’ll take the AR-10 hunting here and there but it’ll mostly be a range toy.

I use mine on the range quite a bit. Back and forth between 500-1000. Works just fine.

Reactions: Jnull
I bought a 4.5-22 earlier this year despite all the hearsay and regurgitation and I still really like it. I personally haven’t had a better optic at its price point and I’ve had hundreds of optics. Mine had a hell of a lot harder spill that 6” into a padded case on snow (LOL) and it didn’t shift so I continue to think that’s pure BS. I’m going down to shoot it again in the next couple hours, perhaps I’ll strap it down to the flat bed and let it bounce around down the property and across the creek.

I bought a 4.5-22 earlier this year despite all the hearsay and regurgitation and I still really like it. I personally haven’t had a better optic at its price point and I’ve had hundreds of optics. Mine had a hell of a lot harder spill that 6” into a padded case on snow (LOL) and it didn’t shift so I continue to think that’s pure BS. I’m going down to shoot it again in the next couple hours, perhaps I’ll strap it down to the flat bed and let it bounce around down the property and across the creek.

I am still using my original one on a regular basis. No zero shifts. Tracking is spot on.

ILya

Yall are going to convince me to buy one of these and cost me some money.....

If it checks the boxes I would go for it. The two legitimate complaints you hear about it being the turrets and magnification ring I think are blown a bit out of proportion.

Is the magnification ring super easy to turn? No. Do you have to be the hulk to operate it? Also no. A MKM throw lever makes it a complete non issue either way. The biggest issue is really just a lack of a great area to grab.

The elevation turrets while they aren’t S&B crisp are not trash either like some make them out to be. You can hear them and feel them and they line up. They give you a nice solid thunk when running the knob and are purpose served.

If you want perfection in a similar package then pony up $4K for a TT because everything else is going to be a compromise either way.

You can get deals if you shop around and are patient. I picked up mine NIB on another forum for $900.

Reactions: JDB55
I've had mine for awhile; recently I purchased some mkm scope caps, the front scope cap was incredibly tight even with the screw all the way out. So to get it on the rig I had to open palm smack the thing multiple times with quite a bit of force on the objective lens(also was interested to see if this caused zero shift). Took it out after that expecting some zero shift due to that type of treatment...nothing with the ammo I zerod it on. I think the legitimate zero shift people have gotten are due to other factors besides the scope itself personally.

The illumination button isn't optimal in my opinion and is my only complaint, but for the weight savings I would rather deal with that then add more ounces. Still recommend this thing.

This is far from a torture test but surely far more than dropping it onto a pad in the snow from less than a foot.

Strapped it to my bed and drove it down 3/4 mile of washed out mountain roads that haven’t been maintained for 3+ years that required 4 low and two very violent washed out creek crossings with steep rocky embankments on each side. It was bad enough I could feel my guts rearranging.

It’s zero’d with Barnes 127gr LRX and I shot the first two rounds of that which cut the center out of the target. The subsequent 5 rounds lower are Winchester 129gr that didn’t fair so well.

So it held zero through that.

Attachments

• 3507882C-7A83-4FFE-9BEF-E82780B524AF.jpeg
    3507882C-7A83-4FFE-9BEF-E82780B524AF.jpeg
    417.5 KB · Views: 67
  • D0F09FC7-50C7-404C-9323-975AE61A9D15.jpeg
    D0F09FC7-50C7-404C-9323-975AE61A9D15.jpeg
    368.7 KB · Views: 72
  • F04CC383-49B1-4559-A1BA-FD8E008914DA.jpeg
    F04CC383-49B1-4559-A1BA-FD8E008914DA.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 70
I bought a Burris XTRIIIi 3.3-18 and wish I would have gone with the LHT 4.5-22. Not real thrilled with the optical quality at higher magnification.

I bought a Burris XTRIIIi 3.3-18 and wish I would have gone with the LHT 4.5-22. Not real thrilled with the optical quality at higher magnification.
Send it back to Burris, my first XTR III 3.3-18 was a disappointment, I sent it to Burris and they sent me a new one that was much better, I would say the 2nd Burris was every bit as good as my LHT and maybe even slightly better in certain areas. Burris has quite a bit more FOV at similar magnification which I like too.

This is far from a torture test but surely far more than dropping it onto a pad in the snow from less than a foot.

Strapped it to my bed and drove it down 3/4 mile of washed out mountain roads that haven’t been maintained for 3+ years that required 4 low and two very violent washed out creek crossings with steep rocky embankments on each side. It was bad enough I could feel my guts rearranging.

It’s zero’d with Barnes 127gr LRX and I shot the first two rounds of that which cut the center out of the target. The subsequent 5 rounds lower are Winchester 129gr that didn’t fair so well.

So it held zero through that.
Appreciate you putting your scope through a much more realistic torture test for us ;) Just don't post your findings on Rokslide lest you be tarred and feathered and shamed in their public square :sneaky:

Send it back to Burris, my first XTR III 3.3-18 was a disappointment, I sent it to Burris and they sent me a new one that was much better, I would say the 2nd Burris was every bit as good as my LHT and maybe even slightly better in certain areas. Burris has quite a bit more FOV at similar magnification which I like too.

I’m between the XTR III 3.3-18 and LHT 4.5-22

I may reach out to them. I had a XTRII years ago that looked better than this one does. I used it calling coyotes the other night and could hardly make out a deer at 800 yards.

I may reach out to them. I had a XTRII years ago that looked better than this one does. I used it calling coyotes the other night and could hardly make out a deer at 800 yards.
Definitely reach out, I too had an XTR II 4-20 and the XTR III 3.3-18 is a definite upgrade in optical quality, it "should be" so if you have a III that is not as good as the older II, something is definitely awry.

Reactions: 260284